IGNORED

What Video Games Are You Currently Playing

Joyrex

main thing i'm wondering is ... will i be able to transfer PT across. i'm guessing no.. in which case NO DEAL

You still have it on your system?! You lucky bastard... I hadn't played it in a while and I swear the damn app deleted itself and of course I can't reinstall it, it's forever gone... FUCK YOU KONAMI!!!  :catcry:

main thing i'm wondering is ... will i be able to transfer PT across. i'm guessing no.. in which case NO DEAL

You still have it on your system?! You lucky bastard... I hadn't played it in a while and I swear the damn app deleted itself and of course I can't reinstall it, it's forever gone... FUCK YOU KONAMI!!!  :catcry:

again... http://wololo.net/2016/04/10/how-to-redownload-p-t-silent-hills/

Anyone got I Am Setsuna?

Was going to get it, but the price is too high for a game that reviewed so-so.

For someone who doesn't currently own a PS4, or a 4K TV... does it make sense to get a standard PS4 or pay extra for the Pro? Is the only added benefit the increased performance?

I'd get the pro, as you will be getting the very best version of a game (especially going forward). Increased performance is nothing to sneeze at.

Higher framerate and higher resolution. I think some games will also have more vegetation and fancier lighting? And higher resolution textures? That's about it I think. It's already been confirmed that stuff like multiplayer games will have a locked framerate across the PS4 and Pro versions of games to ensure Pro users (ugh) don't gain an advantage. So the Slim is more than adequate if you just want to play games.

The PS4 Pro turned out about as pointless as I expected it to be. And I'm happy with that.

the price point of both slim and pro is pretty good. 

the idea of selling the ps4 and using the cash to upgrade to pro isn't too terrible. not amazing, but all things considered ... it's not as bad as i would've expected.

I guess. But the PS4 Pro (ugh!) can't even play 4K Blu-rays, so all you're really getting is the same games you can get on your regular Peasant Edition PS4 but with more colors, more pixels, and more grass. It's not like the games themselves will change much, given that they'll have to work on both systems. Not to mention that you need a 4K TV to even take advantage of all this in the first place and a pretty size-able one at that, for the whole 4K resolution thing to be much more than a fancy number. Maybe I'm wrong about all this and maybe the Pro (uurrgh!) will sell a ton of units, but right now Sony has been insanely bad at presenting this thing. 

Even if it turns out to be a major success, that new Xbox thing (Scorpio?) will come out next year and totally wreck its shit anyway. So that leaves both the Peasant and Pro (...) versions in the dust of not only the PC but also the Xbox. And potentially the NX, if this was some kind of bizarro universe where Nintendo suddenly decided to make sensible decisions for the first time in a decade.

Just give me the new Mass Effect (and let it be good) so I can escape this vidja insanity. 

The lack of UHD Blu Ray is on the surface a forehead slapper, but most likely it was left out to keep costs down. There's really not that much UHD Blu Ray content (let alone worth owning) right now, and that's not likely to change until late next year. Which brings me to my next point...

Is XBONE Scorpio going to be more powerful? Yes.

Will it have a UHD Blu Ray just like the XBONES has now? Yes.

Is Scorpio coming out Holiday 2017, more than a year after the PS4 Pro? Yes.

Does anyone honestly think Sony is not working on PS5 right now, probably set for mid-to-late 2018 release, that almost certainly will be more powerful than Scorpio, and by then 4K and UHD BD adoption will be more mainstream? Yes.

PS4 Pro is a stop-gap to keep the fans happy until PS5, and not allow Microsoft to get the jump on them (again). People who don't want the PS5 can stick with the PS4/PS4 Pro, keeping the majority of their user base happy.

If Sony is smart (and that's a big IF sometimes, smh), they will make the PS5 backwards-compatible with PS4, and will run the Pro games in native 4K, at higher frame rates, and offer 4K/60 gameplay on a console. 

If they let me transfer my current 2TB hdd. If not they can sod off.

The drive itself will be no doubt yes, the contents nope - PS3 and PS4 uses drive encryption with a different key in every machine. You put your hd in a different ps4 and it'll just appear to it as unformatted junk and request you format the drive.

Your saves are in the cloud, so all you would need to do is swap out the 1TB for the 2TB in the Pro, format, and re-download your games.

Ah, looks like Sony anticipated this, and has made transferring from PS4 to PS4 Pro easier: http://www.polygon.com/2016/9/8/12851382/ps4-pro-slim-backup-data-transfer-firmware-4-0

The upcoming 4.0 system software update for the PlayStation 4 will add many new features, with a sneaky-big one being the ability to transfer data between PS4 consoles using nothing more than an Ethernet cable, the company announced today.

Sony revealed the feature in a PlayStation Blog FAQ about the PlayStation 4 Pro, describing it as a way for buyers of the upgraded console to transfer data from an existing PS4. Sony said users will be able to copy "games, saved data, captured videos and screenshots, system settings, and other content" using this process. It will work between any two PS4 consoles, regardless of the model — original, "slim" or Pro.

Aside from an Ethernet cable, the only requirements for the transfer are that both PS4s have the 4.0 firmware (or higher) installed and that the same user account is signed in to both systems. (Currently, a single PlayStation Network account can only be signed in to one PS4 at a time, so either this is changing with the 4.0 update or the data transfer process is a special case that is exempt from the rule.)

If the process is as simple as it sounds, it will be much easier than the current method of moving data from one PS4 to another. At the moment, users only have two options: backing up one PS4 to an external hard drive and then restoring from that backup on a second system, or logging in to their PSN account on the new console and manually re-downloading all their previously purchased content.

Sony has not yet given a release date for system software update 4.0. The company announced during its PlayStation Meeting yesterday that it will release a PS4 firmware update next week, alongside the launch of the slim PS4, to add support for high dynamic range (HDR) color to all PS4 consoles. However, it remains unclear if that update will be the version 4.0 firmware.

just beat episode 4 of doom1. trying to decide if i want to beat 2 and 3 before starting 4. i know 2 is just a lot more of doom1 and that doom 3 supposedly isn't that great. i've played the demo for 4 and thought it was awesome.

Doom 3 was mostly walking around in pitch black hallways with your flashlight and switching to your shotgun every time an Imp drops in front of you. It was more appealing back in 2004.

And it seemed to copy several elements from System Shock 2 as well - for instance, the rampant audio logs, locker combos for secured loot, and the survival horror angle in general. Could be coincidence, but...

Edited by ambermonk

Doom is sweet, bros.

Told you it would be.

aye, you did.

still, 53 gigs is exorbitant and for how the game ends up looking - good, but not exactly super-stunning photorealistic yowza mcbowza - I wonder if the memory footprint is justified. my rig stutters in highly-detailed areas and I suspect it's from from texture loading/buffering. trying to find solutions for it cos it's irritating as fuck.

just beat episode 4 of doom1. trying to decide if i want to beat 2 and 3 before starting 4. i know 2 is just a lot more of doom1 and that doom 3 supposedly isn't that great. i've played the demo for 4 and thought it was awesome.

Doom 2 has some of my favourite level designs of any game. Rather basic by today's standards but very iconic imo. The Final Doom episodes were great as well, especially TNT/Evilution.

Doom 3 I didn't find very memorable tbh—it was super repetitive and took forever to get to the small amount of interesting hell levels.

Doom 3 was terribly dull. Tried very hard to be a "horror FPS" rather than "RIP N TEAR YOUR GUTS FPS".

I recently heard that the reason for the slow gameplay and the reason for the low lighting in Doom 3 was because the idTech 4 engine was so tough to run so they had to scale everything back. All the lights were 100% dynamic as far as I recall which was pretty insane back in 2004. I can't remember where I read/heard this and I could be wrong.

Guest bitroast

that seems about right. the game can be fun when you get past the boring ass first half half life bullshit. still not amazing but not a train wreck or anything. just not 'doom'  level FPS fun or anything.