IGNORED

What Video Games Are You Currently Playing

Joyrex

As far as Switch charging, I haven't seen this listed anywhere, but it seems worth mentioning. You're gonna be playing musical cables, as it comes with one AC adapter that can either: charge the unit directly from the bottom port, clip on the joy cons and dock it to charge all 3 internal batteries at once, charge the joy con grip, charge the Pro Controller, or plug the cable into the rear of the dock. There are of course USB-C cables available, and some have licensed AC adapters that connect, like a phone charger. Just maybe buy extra cables is all I'm sprayin

BCD0AB49-9134-403F-A9C7-93CCC8CC8EB1_zps

At least they threw in an HDMI cable and a charger, unlike the 3DS.

Here's what's inside the Switch dock, not a whole lot really. Empty space to dissipate heat, and not shown, the USB-C connector inside the base for docking.  It seems boneheaded to me, that with what's included in the box, you'll need to open this up, and unplug the power cable every time you want to charge the joy con grip, or pro controller, much less take it on the go.  I still haven't seen one single game journalist realize this yet, but you bet they'll bitch about it upon release day.  So yeah, extra cables people.

08093DEE-EF20-47A9-AFC9-C79A2A154AD7_zps

Guest bitroast

^just like Nintendo: empty, incorrect and lacking clarity, and designed for looks and marketing, though doing a bad job of even those things.

/sickburn

the switch atm looks about on par as the wii u as far as games and actual content goes. 

pushing the cool looks and rad sleek aesthetic seems to be what nintendo are doing atm and it seems to be working alright as far as generating hype and interest goes!

^just like Nintendo: empty, incorrect and lacking clarity, and designed for looks and marketing, though doing a bad job of even those things.

/sickburn

the switch atm looks about on par as the wii u as far as games and actual content goes.

pushing the cool looks and rad sleek aesthetic seems to be what nintendo are doing atm and it seems to be working alright as far as generating hype and interest goes!

Naw it is getting a lot of hype, you're right about that. I just don't know why, for the life of me do not get how it's working on people... but I'm not here to rain on the hype train. Was just making a quick snark because I'm tired, I'll move on now :)

It sounds like Switch voice chat and lobbies will be handled exclusively by your smart device app, which I can see would save on the Switch's battery life as an always on stream would drain it faster, and cause lag. Not sure how smoothly that will work over 3G / 4G though.

Information from the live event in Japan says the USB 3.0 on the dock might support external hard drives in the future, but they're trying to make the system as portable as possible. Also, Micro SDXC Cards up to 2TB will be supported when they release.

92CFF0A5-C5AF-4C9B-A7DC-48A39A80CB5B_zps

Switch reviewed by time travellers on Amazon: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nintendo-UK-Switch-Grey/dp/B01MFADJFV/ref=sr_tnr_p_1_videogames_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1484484884&sr=8-1&keywords=switch+nintendo+console

My name is Luke, I am a time traveller from the year 2020. In 2017 Nintendo launched their new console: the Nintendo switch… one month later, in a shock announcement, Sega announced the Dreamcast 2. The release of the “Dreamiercast” created a rift right through the gaming community, thus beginning the second Nintendo vs Sega war….

Everyone picked a side. It was calm in the beginning, just the usual Facebook keyboard battles… “Mario is just a fat plumber who can’t run fast”…”Sonic can’t even fix a boiler”… admittedly these arguments were not the most creative…

Sadly, things quickly escalated into violence in the streets. Over the last 3 years I’ve lost many… too many to count. I was in my underground bunker, hoping that the roof would continue to hold through the next round of bombings. I was alone… I couldn’t let anyone else see my dark secret… a secret I was too scared to reveal… I owned both consoles. I thought it was logical, that way I could play all the best games, surely I could be on both sides right?

I wasn’t the only one. Phil owned both too, he shouted about it to everyone, claiming he’d found enlightenment. Instead of becoming the saviour he believed himself to be, he became the enemy to both sides, and they (literally) ripped him apart in the streets.

I knew I had to do something… to find a way to save everyone. The only way was to go back in time and stop the Dreamiercast from ever launching. It was too late for the switch, Nintendo would just do something else, but it wouldn’t take much to stop Sega and convince them they should stay as software developers.

Using components from both consoles I created a time machine. I travelled back to 2015 and went straight to Sega with a new idea- Sonic Mania. The idea was so genius that they immediately abandoned project Dreamiercast and put all their resources into Sonic Mania. The war was prevented, I saved everyone.

Sadly, as the Dreamiercast no longer exists in your future, my time machine has ceased to exist also, meaning I have been trapped in your time ever since.

I thought I was the only one… until now. Seeing these 70+ reviews for the Nintendo switch has made me realise that there must have been others who have also tried the console and then travelled back in time and left a review of what it was like. To you all I say- hello my brothers, I am sure you fought well. Together we will help shape a more united future.

Anyway, I’ve gone off track from my review… the Nintendo switch was a fun console - 3/5.

Here's what's inside the Switch dock, not a whole lot really. Empty space to dissipate heat, and not shown, the USB-C connector inside the base for docking.  It seems boneheaded to me, that with what's included in the box, you'll need to open this up, and unplug the power cable every time you want to charge the joy con grip, or pro controller, much less take it on the go.  I still haven't seen one single game journalist realize this yet, but you bet they'll bitch about it upon release day.  So yeah, extra cables people.

I read the empty space inside the dock is to accommodate USB > LAN adapters, so that makes sense.  It also sounds like the Joy Con Grip that's included with the system is not the rechargeable version, and is just an empty plastic shell.

no wonder it's $90, then.

The dock, that is.

Edited by Gocab

I read the empty space inside the dock is to accommodate USB > LAN adapters, so that makes sense.  It also sounds like the Joy Con Grip that's included with the system is not the rechargeable version, and is just an empty plastic shell.

for fuck's sake. another console w/o an ethernet port? and the grip not charging is gonna make the controller charging scenario so shitty... so you can only recharge the controllers by putting them in the dock or plugging the tablet with the controllers attached...

so if you actually buy another set of controllers you need to buy the charging grip if you want to be able to charge them at the same time pushing the cost of a second controller to $110?

plus the bundles they're selling certainly look like charging grips

http://pisces.bbystatic.com/image2/BestBuy_US/images/products/5670/5670003_sd.jpg;maxHeight=1000;maxWidth=1000

if the charge holds anywhere near as well as it does on the Wii U pro controller or as long as batteries last in the Wii motes they'll last for days, so there's no need for that charging station. just put the joy cons back onto the tablet when you're done playing - which is surely the logical place to store them anyway? they'll never run out. if they do run out whilst playing just put them onto the tablet and play that way while they charge.

E Z P Z

Edited by QQQ

The thing about playing in tablet mode is the screen battery will die way before the joy cons, so you'll be in a spot where you have to dock it whether you like it or not, or be close to a wall outlet, or plug in a USB battery pack. I can't really justify buying that separate charger until more multiplayer games are shown that warrant it, same with a charging grip. Let's just hope the pro controller lasts as long as the Wii U one.