IGNORED

What Video Games Are You Currently Playing

Joyrex

Guest bitroast

nintendo have publicly said the switch can play zelda portable for 2.5 - 3 hours range, which is pretty much turning out to be true ( some online reports are saying they're getting under 3 hours, some are saying over 3 hours with brightness on 65%.). 

it's not super amazing .. but considering it's possible to charge the thing in portable mode with a usb-c cable, + it charges while in TV mode.. it's not really the worst thing ever. like, i don't know how often you're going to be wanting to be playing the thing for 4 hours straight and getting upset that the switch is losing battery. 

hate to sound like a nintendo fanboy/apologist, i'll stop now i promise. but i'm just wanting to say i'm having none of the issues that are being brought up around the switch. it just sounds like people like complaining about it cos its fun to complain about it. 

Guest bitroast

you could probably just saw off the front piece of plastic from the dock if you really wanted to. 

you could probably just saw off the front piece of plastic from the dock if you really wanted to. 

Thingverse has downloadable instructions for printing a Switch stand that allows you to charge while sitting upright (if you use the kickstand, you cannot charge and play at the same time  - WTF?), and costs far less to make than the overpriced 90.00 dock accessory.

I think I made the right choice waiting on the Switch - let them iron out the software/online stuff, and hopefully have a Zelda-themed Switch bundle (like they did with Wii U).

Hardware I don't see them revising anytime soon, if ever.

The big thing Nintendo needs to do now is keep the software flowing - if they go into a drought, the Switch will share the same fate as the Wii U. Get the online sorted out too, especially if they are going to start charging for it this Fall.

Big PS4/Pro 4.50 system update comes out tomorrow - offers external storage (at last), "boost" mode on Pro, and a host of other features.

Guest bitroast

the dock is different to just charging it but.

charging it = usb c connection (can be from wall socket or computer usb). agreed that it's dumb you can't play it with kickstand out and plugged in at same time.

dock = usb c connection goes into bottom of switch usb dock, which then has hdmi out going into your tv. (dock also has 3 usb in + power pack to be plugged into wall). buying this thing seperately costs like 120 dollars over here which is pretty much insanity considering what it is .. but it is different to just a straight up plugging in a usbc for charging.

nintendo have publicly said the switch can play zelda portable for 2.5 - 3 hours range, which is pretty much turning out to be true ( some online reports are saying they're getting under 3 hours, some are saying over 3 hours with brightness on 65%.). 

it's not super amazing .. but considering it's possible to charge the thing in portable mode with a usb-c cable, + it charges while in TV mode.. it's not really the worst thing ever. like, i don't know how often you're going to be wanting to be playing the thing for 4 hours straight and getting upset that the switch is losing battery. 

hate to sound like a nintendo fanboy/apologist, i'll stop now i promise. but i'm just wanting to say i'm having none of the issues that are being brought up around the switch. it just sounds like people like complaining about it cos its fun to complain about it. 

personally, i've always loved handhelds (even collect them) so i was looking into this for that aspect but the battery life is really what ruins it for me (i guess not everyone is having the dock scratch their screen). for me, a handhelds battery life is really what determines whether it's worth having in the first place since this is where the gameboy excelled and all the other competitors failed- it's strange (at least to me) they've managed to make this mistake.

you're right: i'll probably not be playing a game for 4 hours straight, but i'd hate to feel so constrained to know that i don't have that option. i mean, what if i'm on a long flight or road trip somewhere and can't recharge every few hours? 

Guest bitroast

to me its just mind blowing that a handheld tablet thing can even run zelda at all 

this may sound like i'm deflecting the issues but honestly for me the battery constraints just isn't really an issue. i'm happy to work around it. 

Edited by bitroast

battery life is a difficult thing because technology is so powerful these days it drains a charge insanely fast. it's not a Switch issue, it's just an issue with batteries. they haven't developed in line with the technology it powers.

that said, everybody i know with a smartphone has a portable charger these days (myself included). they're cheap as hell and they can be used anywhere, so there is no worry about running out of juice even if you're away from a plug socket or other USB port to charge from. mine was very inexpensive and fully charges my smartphone 4-5 times on a single charge of its own. you can obviously buy much better ones that have more power if you want to.

Edited by QQQ

Guest bitroast

i think how you view the switch probably changes that as well a bit. i view the thing primarily as a console first, with the option to take the thing out and play it portable ( in bed, on couch with something on telly, on train to work, at work depending on what shift :3 ). none of these scenarios really seem to butt heads with the length of battery life.

if you had no intention of playing the thing on tv and was more interested in it as a handheld then yeah i can see how the battery life would be an issue. weird thing about it being 2 things in one and not really fitting snuggly into either market just atm. 

Edited by bitroast

yes, i definitely realize the battery issue is a personal problem-

as for portable chargers; i actually got one for when i took a road trip to portland. it came in handy in places like yosemite where i couldn't get a decent signal and noticed my juice running out quicker because of using all the gizmos proper hard, but i'm normally not a power user mainly because i don't use power hungry apps or games: mainly i'll just read ebooks, draw on my phablet, play music and browse the web. i used to have emulators to play all my favorite sega and nintendo games, but i decided i wanted to have a dedicated gaming machine that does just that.

Nintendo says they will repackage how stand alone Switch docks will be mailed out, they were just covering them in bubble wrap and sticking them in mailers, but will now use actual mailing boxes to avoid bending, damage and internal scratches.  durr

Nintendo says they will repackage how stand alone Switch docks will be mailed out, they were just covering them in bubble wrap and sticking them in mailers, but will now use actual mailing boxes to avoid bending, damage and internal scratches.  durr

Wasn't the problem the docks causing scratches on the Switch rather than scratches on the dock ?

Wasn't the problem the docks causing scratches on the Switch rather than scratches on the dock ?

Some photos buyers posted showed scratched or bent components inside the dock causing scratches on the screen, so better to play it safe they're probly thinking.  Maybe a new dock design or QC procedure will be quietly put in place as they're trying to maximize positive news buzz right now, and don't want even the slightest mini crisis to go viral.

Guest bitroast

found some more breath of the wild concept art 

heavy spoilers within 

4XYYxKX.jpg

wItX4HPg.jpg

KFn1WkZ.jpgVFtAkPs.png

i'm really loving this game again (i had a very brief very minor temporary stint of getting weirded out by the autosave/no consequence for death openworld style flow to the game but i'm completely over that now ! ). the art style in this game is so amazing. some of the areas you get to explore are very nice. + some of the 'moments' you get. very cool!

i have so very rarely died in a zelda game and it seems like there was hardly much of a penalty anyways. you start at the beginning of a dungeon? (but all of your progress is kept in tact)

They were seriously sending a 90.00 product in a bubble mailer?

I really wanna play this

The first person mode looks pretty wank.

If it's anything like the HD Remix they did on PS3, I'll avoid it. That game was terrible.

the idea of playing a fg on a joycon is horrifying. especially something like sf2 (unless they added in sf4 style input shortcuts) because the input requirements on sf2 ain't no joke. i mean, i've been playing stick so long now that the thought of trying to play on any pad makes my hands cramp. especially a 6 button game like sf

whoa! that ultra street fighter 2 looks amazing except i agree the first player mode looks hilariously silly. lol. doing the hadoken by literally doing the hadoken? how do you do blanca's roll? or dhalsim's fireball?

If it's anything like the HD Remix they did on PS3, I'll avoid it. That game was terrible.

As in this one ? Played it once at a bar (albeit having had a drink or two) on a 360 and it seemed awesome. It was like how I my nostalgic eye remembers it being back in '92:

Finally beat Zelda. Honestly it may be my favorite Zelda. One of the harder ones too. At least where the 3D ones are concerned.

So if you have a WII U/ Switch pick it up.