IGNORED

What Video Games Are You Currently Playing

Joyrex

i'm thinking about the loot question again and realising i have no idea which chests are random and which are fixed. i have no idea sorry !

for people who bought Amiibos 3 years ago, it's cool they work in a brand new game, but it's also cool you can disable their functionality for players who think they're wank anyway.  I also like the fact that they work across 3 consoles; 3DS, Wii U and Switch so you get more bang for your buck than say a Skylander or poor Disney Infinity that got cancelled.  Really, only the Zelda figures are worth scanning, as any other character or card gives you random crap you'd run across and probly not bother picking up.

i mean, you don't need to disable anything. you opt in by pressing the amiibo to the controller.

I plan on using my figures, but there is an option at the top of the screen to disable them, so I just was asking does the game make those items available in other chests.

(Google screengrab)

FCE0D45C-721D-4020-9366-37AB49B5F3C2_zps

Guest bitroast

hey all good. i'm just happy to keep talking zelda. switching the map to Pro Mode btw is how i've been playing most of the game. it removes alot of the onscreen prompts so i guess it's good to keep the map on normal during the starting initial areas and by all means you may prefer to keep the minimap on ... but i've been loving being able to play the game with the minimap off and boost that sense of exploration and freeform wandering. another thing i realised that made me enjoy the game more was .. i can ride a horse to get to places quicker, but i prefer traversing areas by foot and soaking in the area. much easier to miss the small details when galloping past everything quickly on an animal. 

ugh, sorry sorry sorry @ everyone that's not rubin farr. i need a zelda thread so i can keep posting. 

Edited by bitroast

Binding of isaac, pretty disappointed so far, got it after hearing about it on Duncan Trussell podcast

ok it does get better when you start collecting powerups

this game is deep. like incredibly deep. for a beginner i would possibly recommend uninstalling the DLC, they make it more varied but also more difficult, and it is an incredibly difficult game anyway. 

this is kind of a nintendo ad i guess if u wanna view it that way.. so seriously. apologies in advance. 

im still obsessing over this game atm ;-; 

Read that people have figured out two ways to spam the Amiibo rare loot drops:

1. don't save after the drop, and reload your previous save if the loot is lame

2. disconnect Switch from the net, and set your internal clock ahead one day after every drop, to collect things like full sets of armor, super rare weapons, or classic Link costumes.

some Amiibo prices, like Smash Bros Link, and the 30th Anniv. Zelda sets have gone thru the roof in the last 2 weeks.  Even the Animal Crossing cards, and Shadow Metwo Amiibo card work with BOTW.

The Animal Crossing cards work with BOTW?

My daughter and I started playing it finally this weekend... amazing game. Used the Link on Horseback Amiibo and got a random chest and a bunch of consumables, but we haven't tried any other Amiibos.

I see those 30th Anniversary Zelda sets at Walmart all the time - the BOTW Amiibo are sold out though in most places. We only picked up Link, Zelda, and Link on horseback. I don't like how Nintendo prices them higher than normal Amiibo (the Guardian I can understand due to the size, but the others are not much bigger than normal Amiibo.

The thing that saddens me is the game is beautiful, but the low-resolution hurts the presentation at times. I wistfully think of what BOTW would look like at 1080P/60 on PS4 had Nintendo decided to finally forego hardware.

It really is impressive how massive this game really is - my daughter was shocked when she realized the initial area you start out in (which is massive on its own) is only a very, very small part of the overall overworld map.

Isn't the Wii U version locked at 720p? while the Switch version bumps it up to 900p in TV mode I believe.

ps - for people worried about the dock scratching your screen, saw some custom made microfiber covers on etsy:

57FF5C5F-B0CF-487C-8208-7B16423FDC19_zps

F19397E6-105C-4783-B270-CF2D94C3C3A3_zps

Not playing anything at the moment, but building a new PC. It's a beast.

Hopefully ready by the end of the week, and I'll get a 4k monitor and maybe Deus Ex and a few other newer games.

:cool: 

Isn't the Wii U version locked at 720p? while the Switch version bumps it up to 900p in TV mode I believe.

ps - for people worried about the dock scratching your screen, saw some custom made microfiber covers on etsy:

Yes, the visuals are locked at 720P but honestly some of the shadow resolutions and edges look 480P at at times  :cerious:

Yes, the visuals are locked at 720P but honestly some of the shadow resolutions and edges look 480P at at times  :cerious:

Mario Kart 8 DX runs at 1080p 60fps now, so I bet it will look amazing as well.

Guest bitroast

zelda was definitely built around nintendo hardware limitations, wii u never being a powerhouse compared to (then) current gen hardware + switch being a portable tablet thing. 

to me, zelda is a marvel.. regardless of the framerate dips and shitty looking textures. 

Man, Dead Rising 4 kinda ruined everything that was great about 1, 2, and 3. It's forces you through the world, it gives you all the crazy weapons right from the get-go, and it's way too easy. Also, they removed the time aspect which I always hated, but now that they've removed it I see why it was there.

Guest bitroast

my mate has a switch and dropped his 2xjoycons in grip holder on floor, from sitting down desk height onto carpet.

one of the joycons is now bugging out and is not working :facepalm: 

even for adults some of the design choices with this thing are cheap and seemingly easy to fuck up. 

i feel like if i was a parent with kid, i would not feel comfortable letting them take the thing around as a portable system.

this is coming after spending a good weekend with the switch and really admiring the hardware. the tablet/screen itself is really impressive but it's a damn shame it has so much cheap design choices tacked on. 

Finally beat Zelda. Honestly it may be my favorite Zelda. One of the harder ones too. At least where the 3D ones are concerned.

So if you have a WII U/ Switch pick it up.

Did you just take a week off work or is it a lot smaller than I thought?

I took off a few days and marathoned it. I haven't marathoned a game in over a year and wanted to do it with something and this seemed like a good game to do it with.

I focused on the main quest, beat it, now I'm going around and doing stuff I missed.

Finally beat Zelda. Honestly it may be my favorite Zelda. One of the harder ones too. At least where the 3D ones are concerned.

So if you have a WII U/ Switch pick it up.

Did you just take a week off work or is it a lot smaller than I thought?

I took off a few days and marathoned it. I haven't marathoned a game in over a year and wanted to do it with something and this seemed like a good game to do it with.

I focused on the main quest, beat it, now I'm going around and doing stuff I missed.

*sigh of relief*

Guest bitroast

i've barely focused on the main quest .. just found it a tad straight forward and light. the real joy of the game (for me!!) is definitely just roaming around and taking my time, exploring, fucking around with enemies, etc.etc. the game is not a short one if you take the time to explore everything / do the side stuff. 

Ladalaika, don't worry it's definitely not short. There's a reason I said 'finally' and also focused almost solely on the main quest. I felt like an addict for a few days. But you need a good marathon here and there right?

If i hadnt been hell bent on beating the game in a few short days Id have played it like bitroast. Definitely play it like that. But don't worry about missing stuff too much. You can go back afterward.

all of the Tomorrow Corporation games, including World of Goo got released on Switch today, and the pointer controls look like they work fine.  So, it seems almost any Wii game could be ported.

http://gonintendo.com/stories/276147-world-of-goo-on-switch-a-look-at-joy-con-pointer-controls

Guest bitroast

you can play super mario galaxy games on the dolphin emulator on pc, and map the motion controls (aiming the star thing around to pick up the star bits) using the right joystick on your gamepad (xbox360 controller) and it works pretty nicely. it'd be cool to see those games ported over and just using normal controller inputs .. cos those games are cool but have no benefit from motion controls (IMO).

speaking of motion controls, playing zelda BOTW with a pro controller is really comfortable. in general, just how the game feels and how snappy and fluid everything feels is really good.

the pro controller as a standard controller is really good, but it also has built in motion controls. so for example, you hold R2 to pull out your bow+arrow and aim, and use right joy stick to aim. but when holding R2 the motion controls also kick in and you can slightly maneuvure/rotate the controller for more precision aiming. the zelda games on wii u had it as well but only when using the gamepad i think.. which is kind of cumbersome and awkward. it's just really cool seeing nintendo sticking with motion controls and actually getting it right. ((complimenting a solid controller input as opposed to outright trying to replace everything with motion controls forefront and centre)) 

Edited by bitroast

just finished horizon zero dawn, for a game that steals most of its ideas from other games its pretty good. The writing wasn't even terrible in parts, and it even had some vaguely interesting sci-fi ideas

2.3 witchers out of 3

3.6 far cries out of 4