IGNORED

We Are The Music Makers - Feed Me Weird Covers

chassis

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

go fuck yourself ludd you fucking creep

i hate yikes' track

Some more constructive criticism than 'I hate it' may ultimately be more helpful; though I get the feeling there is a history here and I should just stand aside...

I don't think there's any "history" here. Not that I can remember at least. Random buffer-overide and random sine bleeps with some more random glitches isn't really my cup of tea and pretty lazy for an album of Squarepusher covers and I thought that the quality of the tracks either side of yikes' highlighted how out of place it felt. Hermann's "Squarepusher theme" is particularly great. Also, with there being two versions of "I wish you could talk" it seemed a little strange to me that both made it on to the album especially given the gulf in quality between those two alone. Were there any tracks that didn't make the final selection for the comp? Or is this every submission? Maybe I could've refrained from drunkenly typing "I hate yikes' track" last night. But hey ho. No need to be such a cry baby about it.

I don't think there's any "history" here. Not that I can remember at least. Random buffer-overide and random sine bleeps with some more random glitches isn't really my cup of tea and pretty lazy for an album of Squarepusher covers and I thought that the quality of the tracks either side of yikes' highlighted how out of place it felt. Hermann's "Squarepusher theme" is particularly great. Also, with there being two versions of "I wish you could talk" it seemed a little strange to me that both made it on to the album especially given the gulf in quality between those two alone. Were there any tracks that didn't make the final selection for the comp? Or is this every submission? Maybe I could've refrained from drunkenly typing "I hate yikes' track" last night. But hey ho. No need to be such a cry baby about it.

i agree.

the glitches and stuff feel completely out of place (time even) and nonchalant. that's highly unlike Squarepusher. in other words the track gave me the least ode to the daddy feeling as well.

Well, I think that all contributions are very well done, Yikes! as well. I recognized some effects he used, but nevertheless I enjoyed the track as well as the others. Maybe he had a different approach to create a cover, but it's an entry that should be included nevertheless. Why excluding tracks only because you don't like them? I bet Yikes had put also a lot of effort into his work, without being "lazy"

I remember some people wished to create some real SP classics, what has happened to those? I can imagine some jumped off the train after a time or maybe they disliked their own version.

Maybe somebody can tell us if there are any more tracks that did not made it.

LUDDs track was also great, sadly outside the deadline. Please drop it separately!

PS: Will WATMM cover now some other important contemporary electronic project? The first volume is really wonderful, would love to have a serie like Zeitkratzer did that to John Cage, Stockhausen & others.

Guest Blanket Fort Collapse

The Kimmy Gibblers cover is really great too!

Thanks dude! Glad to see someone appreciated it.

Pumped to see that this is finally released. I've gotta bounce ASAP, stoked to listen to the other tracks before work tomorrow.

my favourite's gotta be the Hefty Carriage one.

This. On first listen I laughed hard because of the lyrics and the way he managed to re-use the Ufabulum sounds and ideas, on second listen I was all like "gosh this is beyond greatness".

Also yeah this loudy cover of My Sound is definitely a highlight of the album ! Really really great :music:

Let's make a list:

- we have a great album of covers here (I will also review the stuff on facebook for friends and followers);

- maybe we can do a kickstarter.com project to get money for a physical release on wax;

- it's possible to etablish a serie of other cover projects including Drexciya/BoC (?) and others.

Fantastic. When one more point of the last two is possible to work out, it would be great. Even when it takes the same amount of time to collect tracks, master them and with a decent amount of deadline delays :wink:

Thanks for the lovely words on Hefty Carriage y'all! I was simply possessed by that comic . . my girlfriend and I routinely call each other "bay" because of it :biggrin:

Listening now . . Favorite tracks -

1. Zeph you never disappoint, this is glorious! Super warm, jazzy in a way that makes me happy rather than sick. Awesome.

2. Hermann - Virtuosic and humorous. Loungy & sweet. Love the strings at the end.

5. Kimmy Giblers - great synths & guitar. Reminds me of Radiohead actually (the good stuff).

7. Sweguno - love the piano ending.

8. Acidburp - joyous drum work here! what track is this?

Also much props to Zephyr for the mastering. Sounds unified& warm. I wasn't sure it would be mastered and kind of maxxed out my track, sorry about that.

Archived