IGNORED

XI year old Autechre Album Released: Exai (WARP234)

Guest pixelives

Blade-lores. The name could be coming from lores~ MSP object (lowpass filter with a sharp cutoff/resonance; sharp=>blade).

lores~.png

Sweet discovery, though it kinda cynical to name one of your all-time epics (at least in size, which ae was always careful for) after fucking filter

spl9 might have to be one of my favourite things ae have done in recent years. Dense as fuck. Actually this whole album is a lot more '3D' sounding than their previous albums. Quaristice was a step in this direction but didn't have the precision that I expect from ae.

spl9 might have to be one of my favourite things ae have done in recent years. Dense as fuck. Actually this whole album is a lot more '3D' sounding than their previous albums. Quaristice was a step in this direction but didn't have the precision that I expect from ae.

IMO, Quaristice (the actual LP, not versions) was a little too precise.

In that each track just drops you into the deep end of blink-and-you'll-miss-it complexity.

I realised this recently when listening on some *ahem* substances. There's just as much 'holy fucking fucking shit there's so much detail' going on but it demands a little too much attention even for seasoned AE fans, which makes it bizarrely disposable.

Anyway, on topic: Exai: FUCK what a great album.

speaking of Quaristice/Exai, i realized yesterday how much 90101-5l-l sounds like irlite (get 0). very similar acid-y bass, very similar drum sounds/pattern, even the synths are similar in places.

they're gettin' old

In that each track just drops you into the deep end of blink-and-you'll-miss-it complexity.

I realised this recently when listening on some *ahem* substances. There's just as much 'holy fucking fucking shit there's so much detail' going on but it demands a little too much attention even for seasoned AE fans, which makes it bizarrely disposable.

Perhaps. Precision and detail aren't really related though imo. There's a lot going on but it just feels too loose, I guess? I dunno, maybe one day I'll like it more.

they're gettin' old

Perhaps. Precision and detail aren't really related though imo. There's a lot going on but it just feels too loose, I guess? I dunno, maybe one day I'll like it more.

Good point. Food for thought for sure.

Don't get me wrong, I've found the album problematic since it's release. When I finally got hold of Versions I was all "Phew, here's my new AE album".

But I can't help but keep going back to it and sniffing around it, because it's so awkward.

why do they do that? they always put the singer in front of the rest of the band in promo shots

For the same reason the singer is usually called frontman. Sean is always closer because he's way lower than Rob in height. It just happens that Rob is mellow and Sean is fucking intense. Love that picture, it hink they look better with age, unlike many british men including rock and industrial music stars.

Guest Shadow GriZZly

This is like one of their most cool photo. Sean seems more mellow here, and Rob looks stylish as hell.

*fanboy mode off*