IGNORED

XI year old Autechre Album Released: Exai (WARP234)

Guest pixelives

Guest rd1994

did someone mention...on this album they had a "silent" intro again...again it was some static on disc 1 that was fading in
and (for the first time) pure silence on disc 2

did someone mention...on this album they had a "silent" intro again...again it was some static on disc 1 that was fading in

Don't most of their recent albums have that?

Quaristice did not... But oversteps, untilted, draft, lp5. I'll have to relisten to confield to check

Edited by fizzkinz

Don't most of their recent albums have that?

Quaristice did not... But oversteps, untilted, draft, lp5. I'll have to relisten to confield to check

Yep, Confield's got this really high and subtle frequency squirm at the beginning.

fanstastic! really

this one, I mean

tumblr_mb29w1eQhS1rhj4ggo1_1280.jpg

the angle of Rob's look vs Sean's approach is fucking perfect

then of course there's this, which will never grow old ever ever ever

tumblr_mb29q3CJSL1rhj4ggo1_400.jpg

i'd like to have it on my wall

Check out Johannes Itten's "Spring" painting, btw:

Johannes%20Itten%20-%20Spring.jpg

spl9 continues to floor me. For all its primal abstraction, it is actually a wikkid dance track. I can't help but move to its weird pulse. I just imagined, what if acoustic instruments were tasked with reproducing such a piece of music. I think it would end up sounding like some ritual music from some yet unfound corner of the world.

Edited by Salvatorin

spl9 continues to floor me. For all its primal abstraction, it is actually a wikkid dance track. I can't help but move to its weird pulse. I just imagined, what if acoustic instruments were tasked with reproducing such a piece of music. I think it would end up sounding like some ritual music from some yet unfound corner of the world.

Too true, that's autechre for you

something about the refined-ness of this album has been nagging at me... it feels like on this release, more than past albums, the sounds are arranged more precisely, so as to be more 'agreeable' with each other... can't really speak on it, because their process has always been alien to me. however, exai feels more defined and deliberate, less 'excessive' than their earlier music, where the excess remained, giving a bigger picture of the process/mess. for example, spl9, there's the foreground activity (drums, massive, gaseous bass-progression), and then there are those background sorts of "train" sounds, giving an illusion of more weight, but it just feels layered up, in a way.

conversely, Flep has a shifting quality that makes it more difficult to get a bearing of the track.. maybe it's more straightforward for others. this is also what i like about cloudline and YJY UX, where the beats are not definite and sometimes the rhythm stumbles, compacts, or fragments a bit.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone else hear the strong similarities between cfern and prac-f? I hadn't listened to the former since before exai. At times the similarities are striking. (WTF ARE THEY DOING??)

Edited by Joseph

Yeah. Also nodezsh/Etchogon-S strike me as sharing an uncanny likeness of blueprint. Been listening to Oversteps and noticed a same sort of linkage between d sho qub and irlite (get0). It's liking they're toying with a melody and it comes out in two different versions, the "quieter" more minimalistic Oversteps/MoT versions, and the meatier, heavier stomping versions of Exai

This album is sick!

irlite (get 0) - best track they have??

jatevee C - fucking party monster!

T ess xi - Perfect experimental track really yummy for the ears!

bladelores - darkness!

1 1 is - eargasm!

recks on - Killer track!!

I'm beginning to hear more and more little melodies hidden underneath the sweet beat textures.

Flep is really doing it for me lately; in fact the first half is starting to unlock itself a bit more in general.

Still not keen on keyosc though!

best of all the albums i bought this year

indeed. not that you can compare, say, tomorrow's harvest and exai, but if you could, then tomorrow's harvest would be the weakling whimpering in the corner as exai takes his lunch money