IGNORED

XI year old Autechre Album Released: Exai (WARP234)

Guest pixelives

I can totally see actively disliking Draft, by the way, but I can't see thinking it's terrible. Too much effort and care involved to be terrible.

I think it's amazing but it's the one ae album I have to be in a certain headspace to enjoy. And even then it's prickly and confrontational.

Baseless speculation but I have to imagine whatever place the 'chre were in when they made it is probably not a place they want to dwell in too frequently.

Maybe terrible was a bit strong of a word. I think it just colours my opinion that so many people hold it in such incredibly high regard when I found it to be an average electronic album as far as that era goes (with Drukqs, Ultravisitor, and Go plastic having come out within a few years of it), and sub-par when it comes to Autechre. I far prefer EP7, Exai, and even Amber.

I found it crossed over the line that separates experimentation/wankery and musicality, into the wankery zone a bit too much... Where Exai is music first, technicality second, I found Draft to be the reverse... IE experimentation took precedence over musicality...

Those are just my tastes though. I'm going to get raked over the goals for what I said above.. lol

Edit: I LOVE "theme of a sudden roundabout" though. Incredible track, my favorite off the album.

Edited by StephenG

My favorite autechre album's dick is bigger than your favorite autechre album's dick!

So true. But Quaristice is a vagina. A black pure knob twiddling music absorbing hole.

yeah if you think quaristice sucks your an idiot

If one thinks Quaristice is alright he's an iVan Boopse.

Edited by Guest

ANNOUNCEMENT:

cloudline is the best track on Exai. It's just so funky, lush and super super cool. Best part is maybe starting a minute before snares clock in at somewhere 6:00... The use of gaps and out-of-order beats as in 7:19 is just masterfully. <eom></thread>

Edited by Guest

I still don't get cloudline. I don't know what I think of it. Everything in the track seems to clash in a really weird way. I just... dunno. If I'm in the right mood I love it. I think this one will take longer to open up for me.

I guess it's a bit like Eidetic Casein where you get this light, airy, almost silly sort of track in the midst of a dark menacing album, and the juxtaposition is confusing.

I still don't get cloudline. I don't know what I think of it. Everything in the track seems to clash in a really weird way. I just... dunno. If I'm in the right mood I love it. I think this one will take longer to open up for me.

I guess it's a bit like Eidetic Casein where you get this light, airy, almost silly sort of track in the midst of a dark menacing album, and the juxtaposition is confusing.

it's like autobahn but they are stuck in a car in a traffic jam in the future with acid rain melting the windscreen wipers and drones and shit flying over

they are also very high

Guest Rulohead32

This album is only improving as time goes on, still quite possibly my favorite of 2013

My second fave after overgrown

(sent from my not-Apple device using Talk That Talk Deluxe Edition)