Yup, the slow-motion scene where he emerges from the tent tripping off his nut to find treasure was ridiculously good.

yeah that was the best bit. That blank mass track is quality

Guest Sprigg

i don't get why the first hour of the film needed to be that slow. it's not like the pace was decisive to tell that story. the film is mainly to be taken literally, so those very long city landscape shots are nothing but descriptive, contemplative, their only purpose is to set the mood. which is why the film is so dumb imo.

That film is all about setting mood, and it does a damned good job of that.

Man of Steel- I have mixed feelings about this one. I initially loved it, but it feels rather shallow. Lots of cool action sequences, but there wasn't enough character development in anyone really, even Clark. They could have done a lot more with the flashbacks.

i just forced myself to watch blade runner again, entirely this time.

ok, the whole film's purpose is contained in the final "fight" against roy batty, the replicant. why did he save deckard? what does his final speech mean? (these are rhetorical questions, don't answer me).

while these are interesting questions, i don't think they were treated properly. basically the philosophical questions put by the film are: what is human nature? what is consciousness? what is Good? i don't want to over-intellectualize this but, hey, the film does, imo, a very bad job at questioning these.

besides, i couldn't stand the soundtrack by vangelis.

the film leaves me the taste of an ambitious project that was ruined by poorly thought out ideas and an unbearably slow pace.

can't stand the soundtrack by vangelis? Ok, now I know you're taking the piss.

I'm fully willing to accept the film is a bit boring, but maybe you just don't get the whole "film noir" thing?

can't stand the soundtrack by vangelis? Ok, now I know you're taking the piss.

I'm fully willing to accept the film is a bit boring, but maybe you just don't get the whole "film noir" thing?

because you have to get the film noir reference to enjoy the soundtrack? haha

Edited by Brian Tregaskin

Guest zaphod

i actually agree, about half of the soundtrack is pure wank. especially "love theme". we had this discussion though, lumpy is just mad because it's the music that plays whenever he cruises for tight preteen butthole in the waning light of a smog filled chinese afternoon.

ok, the whole film's purpose is contained in the final "fight" against roy batty, the replicant. why did he save deckard? what does his final speech mean? (these are rhetorical questions, don't answer me).

while these are interesting questions, i don't think they were treated properly. basically the philosophical questions put by the film are: what is human nature? what is consciousness? what is Good? i don't want to over-intellectualize this but, hey, the film does, imo, a very bad job at questioning these.

the film leaves me the taste of an ambitious project that was ruined by poorly thought out ideas and an unbearably slow pace.

No Brian, just NO.

The film is shot in a noir style and follows the genre very well to the finest detail. The lone gunman (Deckard), the femme fatale (Pris and Zora), the bad guy (Roy), the woman in distress (Rachel) the moody dark backdrop and the slow moving storyline. The idea of putting this into a Science Fiction film is progressive and genius.

The questions that arise are about what makes us human and I think the film raises them very well. The key theme being "more human than human" as in the robots end up acting in a more humane way that the humans in the film who all seem just as false and robotic as the replicants (even more so in some cases i.e. Tyrell).

Roy Batty's soliliquy at the end is important because it is about all his fantastic experiences which go far beyond that of many humans and yet are considered unimportant because he is a replicant, and as a result will be lost when he dies "like tears in rain". With this in mind the film can be seen partly as a comment on apartheid.

When the replicant chooses to save Deckard at the end he prooves that he has transcended his programming (as a killer) and become "human".

It's all very deep and the soundtrack works with the film PERFECTLY. So...

home-alone-shut-up.gif

no the whole films purpose is in the final scene (origami?) and with regards to Roy Batty he knew he was dying and didn't want to die alone which is a very human trait coming from a replicant which questions their right to life ect.

Watch it again but stay off the sugar puffs.

Just got back from Man of Steel and wow what a clusterfuck! Watching it was like eating a chocolate roll made from a tiramisu and I can't believe they gave Snyder the budget to get away with all that! That shite acting from a decent but totally miscast cast says it all imho and the editing was done by a dog with sissors. This again adheres to a comic fanatic friend of mine's theory who says Marvel are trying to make definitive movie versions of their heroes and continue to combine the story lines where DC films tend to be hugely flawed so people dismiss them quickly so they tell the same story again later on with another half arsed effort as the hero is always bigger then the film and people will always flock to it. 5/10

lol. I couldn't finish it either.

I wonder if it ended up having a point. Much drama about nothing. What was it a metaphor for? Only the neckbeard wankers who made it know...

No Brian, just NO.

The film is shot in a noir style and follows the genre very well to the finest detail. The lone gunman (Deckard), the femme fatale (Pris and Zora), the bad guy (Roy), the woman in distress (Rachel) the moody dark backdrop and the slow moving storyline. The idea of putting this into a Science Fiction film is progressive and genius.

The questions that arise are about what makes us human and I think the film raises them very well. The key theme being "more human than human" as in the robots end up acting in a more humane way that the humans in the film who all seem just as false and robotic as the replicants (even more so in some cases i.e. Tyrell).

Roy Batty's soliliquy at the end is important because it is about all his fantastic experiences which go far beyond that of many humans and yet are considered unimportant because he is a replicant, and as a result will be lost when he dies "like tears in rain". With this in mind the film can be seen partly as a comment on apartheid.

When the replicant chooses to save Deckard at the end he prooves that he has transcended his programming (as a killer) and become "human".

It's all very deep and the soundtrack works with the film PERFECTLY. So...

home-alone-shut-up.gif

lovely synopsis

man of steel - felt like it never got started. lots of intros. lots of boredom. fell asleep like 15 minutes before the end. 2/10

i vaguely remember that film being quite terrible. by that film i mean all films.

This post basically summarizes this entire thread.

just wanted to jump in here and say Blade Runner was objectively speaking, a fucking horrible movie.

YOU'RE A FUCKING HORRIBLE MOVIE!!!