A great spoiler free review of A Field In England -

(Hopefully it's available outside the UK)

he mentioned mushrooms, that's a spoiler right there, i went into this movie knowing nothing about it except that i really digged kill list and kind of hated sightseers... in fact, he spoils a lot...

In hindsight it appears to spoil a lot, though I first watched that review before seeing the film and didn't feel that anything mentioned ruined any reveals in it

yeah that looks thoroughly depraved and funny....will be seeing.

Hell Baby - 7.5/10 - I think the trailer for Hell Baby could be one of the most uninspired glimpses of a film I have ever witnessed. I went into this thinking I was about to watch pure garbage. This is a testament to how well-timed gags, decent writing, and more gags can make a film great. There is no impressive cinematography within this film, the lighting is awful, there was no money spent on it. The film works like Zucker Brothers' films did in the past. It uses current trends in comedies. Use a relatively new genre, horror comedy, which can be fun as fuck and hilarious i.e. Tucker and Dale vs Evil, Slither, etc. This is inspired by the minimal and gag filled approach of Airplane, but it is raunchier. It still makes fun of social stereotypes, uses great comedians to do the gags and say the funny lines. Laughs are had by many. Yay!

Edited by Atop

Hell Baby - 7.5/10 - I think the trailer for Hell Baby could be one of the most uninspired glimpses of a film I have ever witnessed. I went into this thinking I was about to watch pure garbage. This is a testament to how well-timed gags, decent writing, and more gags can make a film great. There is no impressive cinematography within this film, the lighting is awful, there was no money spent on it. The film works like Zucker Brothers' films did in the past. It uses current trends in comedies. Use a relatively new genre, horror comedy, which can be fun as fuck and hilarious i.e. Tucker and Dale vs Evil, Slither, etc. This is inspired by the minimal and gag filled approach of Airplane, but it is raunchier. It still makes fun of social stereotypes, uses great comedians to do the gags and say the funny lines. Laughs are had by many. Yay!

lol u crazy bastard :wub:

cant wait to see it

Guest Jimmy McMessageboard

so that's Julian Barratt from the Mighty Boosh in A Field In England? dayum

and the guy for league of gentleman too. both obviously great actors

barratt already displayed he could play it kinda-straight in nathan barley too

Just watched A Field In England, the edits are actually pretty idm right enough. I thought it was pretty awesome, didn't think it was too art-wanky, and some of the shots look and sound absolutely gorgeous. 8/10 I guess? Mushrooms/10, maybe.

Incidentally, I love that 17th-century aesthetic- the enormous cloaks and those huge hats, flintlock pistols. Might fire up Witchfinder General or something in that vein next, keep the theme going.

uUxe6Cw.jpg

not as great as i hoped. actually, it's more like a more realistic version of prometheus with bits of event horizon thrown in. i can see james cameron thinking "why the fuck didn't i think of this first" right about.... NOW

Edited by Nebraska

Guest trananhhung

And I've also been doing a Godard retrospective:

The best thing about Le Mépris is this house:

502730260_1246334964.jpg

arquitecto+arquitectura+moderna.jpg

big_389480_3253_5275.jpg

Edited by trananhhung

The last film I saw that has stayed with me for some time was this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZ7FwqW7n14

Earth by Alexander Dovzhenko. Try watching the clip without the youtube soundtrack, please.

I have Arsenal on DVD - been meaning to watch it forever

his films are crying out for a bluray restoration

nbYXNGO.jpg

didn't like this at all. it's supposed to a commentary on western women exploiting african men for sex- that message falls through mostly because none of these men seemed unwilling to be exploited- matter of fact, one guy is in desperate need to be exploited to the point of almost resorting to rape. but you do get to see lots of overweight 50plus old austrian ladies and their saggy tits looking for a good boink so...

Guest trananhhung

his films are crying out for a bluray restoration

My DVD copy is from MR BONGO and it does need a hardcore restoration. At the same time, I find some of the visual artifacts quite beautiful due to the textural qualities they add.

I'm all for blu-ray restorations, though. One of my most beloved treasures is the blu-ray edition from the Masters of CInema of The Passion of Joan of Arc. I can't imagine the film in any other way now. And they even added the 20 fps version.

Edited by trananhhung

Anyone interested in documentary film must see The Act of Killing. It's the most fascinating, brutal, honest, true thing I've seen, probably ever. I saw it last night and was just dumbstruck by it. It'll take a while to digest and review properly. Not for the faint of heart. What strange creatures we are...

Just preordered this -

m663_590_detail2.jpg

Which features -

Dead Mans Shoes

This is England

All Tomorrow's Parties

Le Donk & Scor-zay-zee

Bunny and the Bull

Four Lions

Submarine

Tyrannosaur

Kill List

Snowtown

As I realised that despite loving loads of the above (as in all the ones I've seen), I don't actually own a copy of any of them. So at £8 a pop I thought it'd be worth it ...

Dead Mans Shoes

This is England

All Tomorrow's Parties

Le Donk & Scor-zay-zee

Bunny and the Bull

Four Lions

Submarine

Tyrannosaur

Kill List

Snowtown

Nice set. All great films except Le Donk. It's dreadful. Something of a Shane Meadows vanity project or something of that ilk.

That new Wolverine movie. I thought the first Wolverine movie was the best xmen movie, but this one is garbage.

wow, i thought the first was garbage, so this must be like toxic waste or something.