dune

pretty weird, nice imagery, nice alternate universeness, strange absence of a plot though!

also strange how the bad guy is a gay leper, I suppose gay lepers can be bad guys

Guest Jimmy McMessageboard

really? I hated moonrise kingdom. and the trailer for budapest hotel makes me suspect I may hate this too. but all i've heard is good reviews. enjoyed some of his earlier films

Guest Shit Attack

yea i dint like the moonrise one either but this one was fun, maybe was just in the mood + would have found it annoying another time tho. Can definetly see why someone would hate it

also

sorcerer - pretty dated 70s truck movie by the guy who made the exorcist w/ tangerine dream score, bit slow at the start but the trucks fulla explosives parts are really good / 12

MV5BMTc3NjY5NTk0Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjg1

Cool piece of exploitation with a chewy moral centre

Love it!

Most people have seen Basket Case but haven't heard of Henenlotter's Brain Damage & Bad Biology, check'em out.

Ha, yeah i've slowly been working my way through the Basket Case trilogy which i recorded on my tivo a while back (Film4 had it on). Then saw Sc-Fi channel was playing Frankerhooker and started watching and watched Basket Case 2 later! This Henenlotter guy is a legend!

Other films of note:

The Selfish Giant

Jurassic Park 3D

The Iceman

Prisoners

Guest Akiak

I ended up watching the hunger games 2 tonight, and I am fucking done. I'm not going to lie, I was pretty much gripped after the first half hour. There's no shame in that, i'm a fucking teen and these movies are made to be gripping above all else. But the cliffhanger at the end pretty much exposed all of the shit around the entire film industry, where of course (it's so obvious i have trouble saying it) films are made to make money, and of course the best way to do that is make a story drag on for 4 fucking movies.

why do i even bother.

edit: on a more positive note, 'la grande bellezza' (which won the foreign oscar, if that means anything) is quite a lovely film, i recommend.

Edited by Akiak

sorcerer - pretty dated 70s truck movie by the guy who made the exorcist w/ tangerine dream score, bit slow at the start but the trucks fulla explosives parts are really good / 12

I sawed this too recently. The music didn't stand out at all, but the scenes with the drawbridge and the focus of the camera on the truck wheels were very tense. Standout performance is the french fella, he has that superior air nailed down. The scene with the tree was also very good, pure cinema tension. Still haven't seen the original Wages of Fear but will do.

Strangers by the lake - pure homo erotica in your face. If Haneke ever did dogging by the lake this is it. See it just for the wonderful still camera shots of the lake. Anyone who's been to the Alps or a lake in southern France will know the colours of the sky, lake and land.

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (third time viewing)- 8.5-9/10. Took me a few times to really get into this movie, but after the third viewing I really think they did capture the book quite perfectly, which is most certainly my favorite book of all time. A nice dose of insanity.

Johnny Depp is pretty amazing at portraying Hunter S. Thompson on drugs.... would have preferred if Dr. Gonzo looked more like the 300-pound Samoan in the book but now I realize they were probably going more for a portrayal of the real life character, this chicano dude Oscar Acosta.

LepTRsj.jpg

a rugby team crashes (somewhere) in the andes mountains. hopeless, hungry and cold, they start to get a taste for their dead companions.

the real story is one of those fascinating "must reads" imo and whilst this is a great adaptation, it really fails to capture the full epicness of what really happened

btw: i saw hani furstenberg today :emotawesomepm9:

Edited by Nebraska

Under the Skin - No idea what anyone who has not read the book would make of this one, next to nothing is explained but it's rare to find a film that tries to view the world from such an odd perspective and I felt very peculiar upon leaving the cinema and walking around the West End. Unsettling, gorgeous and freaky at times, but also treads a fine line between mesmerising and catatonic at others. Hmm I dunno, it'll be one to see again but I'm looking forward to it. Had a few people in the screening that left halfway through which wasn't surprising.

Edited by tec

Guest Milkweg

Just re-watched American Psycho, maybe my third viewing, as my house mate hadn't seen it; She was just confused i think. Christian Bale is obviously awesome in this, creepy as hell. Really like the ending, the tension/madness builds really well. I'm interested in reading the book although apprently it's pretty much the most grpahic and confronting thing ever.

Grand Wes Anderson Hotel. Highly Wes Anderson, couldn't find anything that was not wes anderson about this wes anderson movie. wes anderson.

you wes andersoned!

Under the Skin - No idea what anyone who has not read the book would make of this one, next to nothing is explained but it's rare to find a film that tries to view the world from such an odd perspective and I felt very peculiar upon leaving the cinema and walking around the West End. Unsettling, gorgeous and freaky at times, but also treads a fine line between mesmerising and catatonic at others. Hmm I dunno, it'll be one to see again but I'm looking forward to it. Had a few people in the screening that left halfway through which wasn't surprising.

is it as good as species though, if you know what i mean?

Nymphomaniac vol. 1 and 2

I like how both movies kept me watching even if most scenes were dialog-driven. The ending was a bit shady but expected since this was Von Trier. I really like how he became more controlled in his mature filmmaking. Still one of a kind - but I gotta give this a 7 out of 10. The ending was rushed and some chapters lacked the energy of others. Also some of the casting decisions were questionable, especially how they handled the transition between two different actors playing the same character in a younger/older state (and I'm not talking about the main character, but I don't want to spoil). Still warmly recommended.

You'll be disappointed, sorry, unless you like the occasional shot of a limp penis in an eerie as fuck alien house, I'm not judging here.

I forgot I saw Tim's Vermeer last weekend, which was brilliant. highly highly recommended, although the documentary isn't as good as the subject, if that makes sense.

You'll be disappointed, sorry, unless you like the occasional shot of a limp penis in an eerie as fuck alien house, I'm not judging here.

limp dick alien house sounds alright.

Harakiri (1962)

Pretty great/10 - prods at the samurai ethos and questions the way history is told.

vlcsnap2012011414h52m33.png

It's such a beautiful day (2012)

Felt a little over whelming at points, but that's the point! Impressive stuff. Sometimes the humor didn't cut it with me, but other times it was great. Asked some good questions, made you think. Fair play.

ITS-SUCH-A-BEAUTIFUL-DAY.jpg

Guest Milkweg

Can someone recommend some sci-fi I should have watched by now. Think I've seen the obvious ones but list them to in case I missed it

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk