The Master

I think I liked it! The acting was incredible. There was something really addictive about the film, even though it doesn't flow like your average movie.

That's a seriously amazing film. Paul Thomas Anderson is a genius.

It was an a bad misjudgement to wreck the thread like that, especially without any comment on the movies. It seemed quite ego driven ''Look at the cinema i'm watching, it's very avant garde. I don't even need to write any text, i'll just leave these massive screenshots for you to digest, while i swagger off into the sunset. I'll check in with you guys later, bye''

thanks for your support Schlitze!

The new Star Trek movie made me want to watch the first ones. I just watched Star trek, the motion picture and I thought it was a brilliant sf film. Wrath of Khan was also great and the third, Search for Spock was if not so great, very entertaining.

In what circles of hell the makers of the new movies will burn is beyond me, but they'll have to pay big time.

you're awesome, gaarg. I rewatched all the early star trek movies about 6 mos ago, and couldn't agree more. As a kid I remember being disappointed with the first one, but on rewatch I thought it was highly enjoyable. All of them were, actually, up through and including the save the whales one. Then they started to get spotty.

yeah i did the same in the last year. I also think they're great. It's the ensemble cast that really nails it for me, they have such great chemstry, It's a trusted brand (well was a trusted brand).

yeah, it really does come down to the ensemble cast. Despite Kirk's histrionics, and the Next Generation cast being very good, I still think the original cast has a chemistry that was never quite...replicated.

could someone summarize and post imdb links to "must watch" star trek films cos im getting kinda lost in all this terminology.. next gen/ different iterations of kirk/whatever..

Guest Jimmy McMessageboard

This is the end

Really good. Could have used more cameos/less Danny Mcbride. Odd how similar this is to The World's End (the trailer played before the film), seth rogan is the Canadian simon pegg?

could someone summarize and post imdb links to "must watch" star trek films cos im getting kinda lost in all this terminology.. next gen/ different iterations of kirk/whatever..

none of it is must watch.

I'd say start at the beginning and move further up. It's more logical that way, the first movies are the best and you can then stop when it gets too silly for you. That's exactly what I'm gonna do too (watching the fifth today).

This is the End 6.5/10. Had some very funny moments, but i don't think overall Seth Rogen is very good at writing absurdist comedy. He's far better at writing the type of naturalistic dialog that he's done many times before. This movie had some of that, but I think it feel mostly flat when the jokes would get too far into Wayans brothers territory. Danny Mcbride steals the show, his entrance into the movie is probably the funniest scene and happens towards the beginning.
Not a bad attempt to channel 80s Ghostbuster and R rated raunchy jokes, but i think it's getting a lot more praise than it deserves from critics. Sort of reminded me of Dogma, but not as good.

Star Trek 5, the final frontier.

Oh boy, the perfect bridge between good old science fiction / Star trek and utter schlock of our days. I'm a bit afraid of Star Trek 6 now.

I'd say start at the beginning and move further up. It's more logical that way, the first movies are the best and you can then stop when it gets too silly for you. That's exactly what I'm gonna do too (watching the fifth today).

Perhaps i'm too much of a purist, but i'd recommend watching through the original Star Trek series (1-3) then moving onto the films, then move onto Star Trek: The next generation TV show, watch through the series, then move onto the next generation films.

I haven't seen all of them, nor much of them - however i've watched alot of the TV shows - and i find with these sorts of films its best to have prior knowledge, understanding and appreciation for the characters before jumping deep into the films....because at the end of the day, on average, they're not too highly held in the sci-fi film world, just more enjoyable if you know their world and how its works first.

In case of Star Trek it might be the other way around really. The series is pretty tight (as far as I know) story and character-wise whilst the films get goofier the longer they were making them.

Also the first movie introduces everything quite ok, so you wouldn't need to know anything.

Still, if you're into sf, you should watch everything in said order!

Star Trek, the undiscovered country. Quite good, better than the last two certainly. A good ending to the entire old generation thing, though it still has some weird non consistencies but nothing too serious.

The Master

I think I liked it! The acting was incredible. There was something really addictive about the film, even though it doesn't flow like your average movie.

That's a seriously amazing film. Paul Thomas Anderson is a genius.

i agree. seems to be agiging really well/ didnt like it at first. now i like it more.

star trek DS9 and next generation are must watch

the original is should watch

some of the movies are should / might as well watch

the reboot movies are shouldn't / can if you want I guess watch

Edited by vamos scorcho

VHS 2 - I liked the first one better... WAY better... and the first one wasn't even that good.

I enjoyed it, the Safe Haven segment is ridiculously insane and probably makes the whole thing worthwhile.

Star Trek, the undiscovered country. Quite good, better than the last two certainly. A good ending to the entire old generation thing, though it still has some weird non consistencies but nothing too serious.

Gene Roddenberry died during the making of this film. I'm not sure how much input he had in the way it was going but apparently the movie was intended to be sort of a parallel to the berlin wall falling. The original script made the Enterprise crew seem a lot less racist/xenophobic than they do the way it was shot. For example the part where Kirk says 'Let them die!' to Spock had Kirk making an embarrassed/saddened expression realizing what he had just said, but it was cut shorter to make Kirk seem even less empathetic than it was originally written.

From what i remember reading in the original plot it was actually the Federation and not the Kilingons at all that end up hatching the conspiracy. We are misdirected by the bald Klingon in the original version of the film thinking he is a bad guy but actually ends up working with Kirk at the end to fight the evil conspirators in the federation

I'm probably one of the only people i know who really likes Generations, I think it's a worthy bridge movie to bring both star trek universes together. In some ways it's more similar to an episode of the series than any of the movies are. Probably in part why it was so widely hated. The action was minimal and instead it aimed for a more emotional/scifi driven plot.

Plus it's the longest stretch of time we get to see Data turn on his emotion chip, something they never let us see the way we do in the movie.

The other TNG movies take a sharp turn into later period Deep Space 9 action driven plots. I still enjoy watching them but they definitely feel totally different tonally to the actual series.

First Contact probably being the best, Insurrection is passable (but also ludicrously plotted) and Nemesis is absolutely awful. Nemesis is very much trying to ride the coat tails of Wrath of Khan but fails in just about every way. Red Letter Media's 1 hour long review of it is better than the movie itself.

Edited by John Ehrlichman

VHS 2 - I liked the first one better... WAY better... and the first one wasn't even that good.

I enjoyed it, the Safe Haven segment is ridiculously insane and probably makes the whole thing worthwhile.

Yeah, it was pretty good, entertaining stuff for sure. Really liked the safe haven segment as well (except for the very final bit after the fade to black). I thought VHS was a piece of garbage, so this is a great improvement.

Edited by Gocab

Man of Steel

oh god enough of superheros pummelling each other relentlessly. If you are going to do this you need to up what we have seen before. this wasn't much good.

pacific rim will hopefully destroy the genre completely and it'll be done

amy adams as lois lane? jesus

even michael shannon was a disappointment. michael sheen would have been a better zod

Edited by Jimmy McMessageboard