Mr Turner

English bloke dedicated to his artform begins descent in a changing industrial landscape. Mike Leigh depicts sex as brutal harsh and cold which it can be at times. Worth watching to see a depiction of Margate before the London homeowners moved in and boost their portfolios etc.

Ya Mama/10

James Cameron, much like Ridley Scott, is a genius:

Ever since it was announced that Arnold Schwarzenegger will return for "Terminator Genisys," he's been saying that he'll be able to play the Terminator again because the robot's skin actually ages.

Now comes word that the idea behind this came from James Cameron, who spoke about the reboot/sequel while celebrating the franchise's 30th anniversary. "I pointed out that the outer covering [of the Terminator] was actually not synthetic, that it was organic and therefore could age," he explained. "You could theoretically have a Terminator that was sent back in time, missed his target, and ended up just kind of living on in society. Because he is a learning computer and has a brain as a central processor, he could actually become more human as he went along without getting discovered."

BRILLIANT!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62E4FJTwSuc

:cerious:

blSFWZT.png

unarius is "an academy of science" studying "fourth dimensional physics principles": in other words, they're a cult making shit up as they go along. they've been at it since the mid 60s but these days they're pretty much your typical senile retired old foggie talking nonsense about ufos.

this "documentary" is about the underground cities of mars which are visited in the programme. to get the cities, one enters an elevator that looks suspiciously like an elevator in any old office building before descending to the ground floor where a hippie dressed in silver leads you to the cities which are- from a birds eye point of view- candy strewn about a table. that's right- to replicate cities, they just decorated a table with some sweets and that's the cities of mars.

The Kingdom of Dreams & Madness, a documentary about Studio Ghibli as it prepares to release The Wind Rises + The Tale of Princess Kaguya

[youtubehd]24wViGZKVu8[/youtubehd]

I was a little disappointed in that the film states it follows hayao Miyazaki and Isao Takahata as they make their films but it barely shows Takahata at all (although I've heard he apparently bashes cameras away if they start to record him). He only appears for about 1 minute towards the end, in an interview probably obtained at gun point. However, as we get to follow Miyazaki instead for nigh on two hours of perpetual grumbling and snarky comments, it's still great to watch. If you don't care for animation, you'll probably still enjoy it as it's more about the people and their history than their films. Not to mention it's quite funny at times. And there's lots of cat footage too.

9 / 10 Catbuses

Does miyazaki make the animation team a stew ? It's kind of an cultural trope at this point so i would be disappointed if at some point he didn't break out the cooking gear to the feigned appreciation of the staff. An anime about making anime from this season shirobako made reference to it in their first episode by having the boss character do it.

maleficent - ok i guess in some ways for a low expectations time passing type situation, some nice cG and some lazy polish in realism, like when it's cold people breath out steam, when it's a play and you are indoors they don't. I fucking hate Jolie, so the fact that i sat through this was a miracle (well i did stop part way through only to come back a few weeks later to finish it off). I think i'm just a bit big budget live action fantasy starved.

'the rover', - recent ozi chase flik ft. twilight dude & pierce guy; way violent, hammy story, depressive, non redemptive, but cinematographies k so 1/10 & deleted frm hd lol.

&

'the new world', dir. terence malick - ft. a batman, other dudes & v. beauty nature, spirit, poen, histry/mythos, v. v. good so'll def watch again/10

The-New-World-16.jpg

Watched Withnail & I again last night. One of the best British films ever, and maybe the best British film of the 80s?

Editors-Pick-Withnail-and-I1.jpg

nightcrawler was really good

also recently enjoyed this.

Maps To The Stars. first impressions of were pretty bad. it's the first time a Cronenberg movie has underwhelmed me. it took me at least half the film to be able to stomach the obnoxiousness of the characters, and then the other half to put together all the pieces and make sense of everything. not sold on the plot. fire CGI was terrible. score was terrible (that tabla shit was ridiculous). some of the acting seemed terrible as well, although that may just have been my difficulty accepting those characterisations.

repeat viewings might help me unlock this one but right now I rate it 2 Julianne Moore farts out of 10.

edit: speaking of which, Julianne Moore might be ruined forever for me now

Edited by usagi

Tarkovsky's Solaris

Soderbergh didn't take all the good bits after all. Lots of procrastination about human or extra-terrestrial existence. The clothes are immense. Best pair of white pants I've ever seen on the big screen on the main character.

The Kingdom of Dreams & Madness, a documentary about Studio Ghibli as it prepares to release The Wind Rises + The Tale of Princess Kaguya

[youtubehd]24wViGZKVu8[/youtubehd]

I was a little disappointed in that the film states it follows hayao Miyazaki and Isao Takahata as they make their films but it barely shows Takahata at all (although I've heard he apparently bashes cameras away if they start to record him). He only appears for about 1 minute towards the end, in an interview probably obtained at gun point. However, as we get to follow Miyazaki instead for nigh on two hours of perpetual grumbling and snarky comments, it's still great to watch. If you don't care for animation, you'll probably still enjoy it as it's more about the people and their history than their films. Not to mention it's quite funny at times. And there's lots of cat footage too.

9 / 10 Catbuses

Yes this is good, watched it recently. No, they don't show Miyazaki cooking for the team.

Nightcrawler 9/10 - I don't think i've seen a bad Gyllenhaal film since....i dunno when...he nails this as the fuckwit drifter who stumbles onto his calling card. Eerie.

Deliver Us From Evil 6/10 - A few jump scares was the only excitement i took from this.

Divergent 7/10 - Cool idea and well shot. Pretty awesome apart from the overplayed theme.

The Canyons 5/10 - Lohan's flaps hang heavy on this. Not seen a set of mutton shutters sway in the breeze quite like it. Schraeder needs to sort his head out and start writing scripts again, rather than banking on some dangly bits hanging off an old has been.