IGNORED

Midlife crisis

kakapo

I've always thought that buying a gaggle of geese is the way to true happiness, even in troubled times.

goose.jpg

How could this not be a good idea?

If you've ever walked across a park full of goose shit, you'd understand why this is not a good idea.

• 1 month later...

I've started online dating.

Can someone explain the "someone who doesn't take life too seriously" thing thats on every fucking doris's profile wishlist? What does it mean? Sometimes life is serious, sometimes not. Is this simply code for "I don't want some dour, humourless prick?" Well of course you don't. But I don't feel the need to write on my profile that I'm looking for someone with a vaguely symmetrical vagina who meets an arbitrary minimum level of aesthetics. That much is a given.

I hope I'm allowed to say vagina on nuWATMM.

vagina

That's a lol. As far as online dating, just remember that 99.99% of all people SHOULD be vaguely incomprehensible to you, and you're probably looking for someone who is less so. That said, I think you're right about what they mean, and it's just too hard or unpalatable to most people to explain the particulars of what they want. Should people know what they want? Sure, to some degree, but someone who has an exact idea of who they're looking for is a fantasist.

It's a weird world. Crap shoot. Just fail a bunch and get better at it. I guess I'm saying "try not to take it too seriously" lols your welcome

Guest cult fiction
online dating is fucking weird, to me it makes me almost more nervous to interact with a prospective chick via okcupid than it would in real life. Maybe it doesn't help that i wasn't born after 1995

as a new OKC user, I mostly agree. I'm still giving it a go though.

Have you considered making this:

photo-7808.jpg?_r=1358469074

your profile picture on OKC? I would totally fuck you, even though I'm a married man in a different country.

I'm about to make the most self-humiliating statement I've ever made on WATMM: I'm a virgin who's never dated before.

I was insecure about it for years, but now I couldn't give a shit. That's not to say I don't care about proper grooming, hygiene, and manners.

I guess this doesn't count as a midlife crisis though, unless this were still the case fifteen years later.

Swordsman? O no, way too ambiguous!

What's with the ladies being douchebags, btw? Have you guys been going to the Britney Spears fanclub, and mistook it for a dating club?

the weirdest thing about okcupid is how every girl seems like a douche bag

Girls are douchebags now.

I'm about to make the most self-humiliating statement I've ever made on WATMM: I'm a virgin who's never dated before.

I was insecure about it for years, but now I couldn't give a shit. That's not to say I don't care about proper grooming, hygiene, and manners.

I guess this doesn't count as a midlife crisis though, unless this were still the case fifteen years later.

Bzv9Njy.gif

j/k man. You've got something that could blow WATMM wide-open if you made a separate thread with this. We could groom you into swordsman or at least generate lulz in the process

Naw, man. I don't wanna be a drama queen. I prefer to keep a low profile.

BTW is that Jesse Pinkman?? Great series.

You need to get out more my man.

Also, OKC is lame. Get off their and go out more often and talk to girls.

Edited by AdieuErsatzEnnui

how old are you dude?

unfortunately I don't think that would appeal to the womenfolk, FC. I'm flattered though, thanks.

the weirdest thing about okcupid is how every girl seems like a douche bag

how so? I haven't experienced that, the biggest problem is just being able to get a response. tumbleweeds all over.

i guess i'm just really picky about girl's personalities, far more than i am with looks. I like girls of all types physically speaking but jesus christ some of the profiles are just boner killers.

Appreciate your input Usagi. I do have major plans this year already. But finding a date seems to be a low priority for me, if one at all. Feels like it's getting more difficult to even understand the necessity of it.

Sorry guys, I didn't mean to steal the thread like this.

A depressing although very informative thread.

I'm 23 (24 next month), I'm 6+ months into my first serious relationship for sometime. We talk frequently about the 'big steps' in life (careers, property, kids). As you do. I feel like we're going to be together for a longtime if that makes sense. Although, I did question my thinking after she invited me to go and see Olly fucking Murs, Michael Buble and Greenday. I'm gently easing her into 'good music' (SAW II/The Campfire Headphase for sexy time/sleep/snuggles..) so I'm working on that.

Anyway, my worry is that I always think too far ahead. I mean, it has it's benefits, I save money well and put it aside for things I need, time management and general planning. However, by 30 I wanted to be experienced in a career I enjoy and from there on I'd have the right structure to build a family on. I'm a carpenter/joiner or was, I think, wannabe teacher at some point? (Winter always is tough and I plan on going back into education to become a teacher).

The building trade sucks, I can't fulfil what I want in my career here in England. Maybe watching too much Norm on The New Yankee Workshop has tainted my way of thinking in regards to woodwork but it's just not like that here in England, London especially. I was thinking of maybe moving to Canada where carpentry actually involves using natural woods rather than removing someone's piss stained toilet boxing-in. Like building houses or something.

My main worry is that I haven't got off to the best of starts in my career and time is ticking. I've got some experience but I wouldn't say I'm competent enough to carry out certain jobs. I worry that by 30 I still might be in the same situation, no solid career path and if the teaching thing fails, I'm sat on my arse again, with little worth in the bank and the pressure of fulfilling my way of thinking, huge.

My futureproof plan if everything fails is to drop everything, flee to China and give my life to the Shaolin Monastery. To cleanse this filthy western bod.

Maybe I worry too much, so I'm not sure if this fits into this thread particularly. I'm sorry in advance. I guess it could be seen as a pre-midlife crisis. Perhaps?

Edited by dumplings

that isn't even a crisis. that's just sensibly considering your future. keep doing that and you might have an entirely crisis-free life.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...