IGNORED

stupid first world achievements and successes

eugene

On 7/14/2021 at 7:54 AM, Cryptowen said:

i know that feeling. at the start of summer 2017 my computer got destroyed, and it was a long time before i could afford another one. i think i went three months without looking at a screen. and then the first time that i did, it was too much. it felt like going off coffee for a couple months & then drinking a full cup (it's like being on a much stronger chemical stimulant). Took a couple days before I could use it for more than ten minutes without getting a headache

I've gone months without listening to music and it's a lot like this.  I should really try depriving myself of things again.

9 minutes ago, drillkicker said:

I should really try depriving myself of things again.

i lowkey think voluntary self-deprivation can be a huge source of enjoyment. when i let go of some comfort i've grown accustomed to, for the first week or so it feels strange, but then i forget all about it. if the cast-off comfort returns to me months lately, it usually feels like a needless excess, rather than a return to a happy median. each thing removed causes the things remaining to grow in detail, or leaves space for novelty to emerge. if you've ever had a period of eating just a small roster of "plain" foods for months & months, after a while you're noticing all sorts of distinct differentiations in it.

i had been sleeping on a folded up blanket for a couple years. a month ago i got rid of the blanket & now just sleep directly on the floor. feels great. feels exciting whenever i realize i no longer need something

• Like 1

Helped some random old ladies with their luggage on the train and they called me strong and said something equivalent to "it's really the strength that works". ?

• Thanks 1

FWS: a customer put in their work address instead of their home address for a delivery, so I got paid $10 to eat a huge bag full of Chinese food (which I will do throughout the day tomorrow).  This is the sort of thing I was hoping would happen at least once every other week with a delivery job, but it turns out to be more of a 1 in 500 thing.  FWP: I already had a giant unfinished Poké bowl that I needed to eat, so didn't get the immediate gratification of enjoying Chinese food right after obtaining it.  The math works out to be in favour of this being an overall FWS though, so I will leave it in this thread.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I just found out about a 2017 tribute album to one of my absolute favorite soundtracks ever, Bruce Langhorne's score for The Hired Hand. Haven't been this excited about a random album encounter in a long while. Perfect music to welcome autumn. 

Edited by luke viia
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, luke viia said:

I just found out about a 2017 tribute album to one of my absolute favorite soundtracks ever, Bruce Langhorne's score for The Hired Hand. Haven't been this excited about a random album encounter in a long while. Perfect music to welcome autumn. 

Listening to the original right now, thanks for recommending.

• Like 1

I'm moving into a much better and much cheaper place in a more convenient part of town in less than two weeks.  I met my roommate today and he gave me one of the t-shirts that he screen prints himself.  Today rocks, even in spite of the labor day hangover.

I don't know if this really belongs here but my work puts out weekly email newsletters and always includes a Calvin and Hobbes cartoon. Today the comic that was used was the one I took my avatar from ✌️

Started seeing a psychotherapist ~2 months ago (on top of the psychiatrists that sorts my meds once a month).

Like almost immediately dude fucking katana-sliced through the weeds of me to the heart of all my anxieties and fears and guilt and shame and neurotic little tics and habits and rituals and regret etc etc

I always hate the portrayals of psychiatrists/psychotherapists-psychoanalysts in film where you go whine on a couch to a bored professional weekly for 15 years and nothing changes and there are no specific plans for improvement whatsoever...

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

have enough equipment stored in the park now that i can do a 400 pound deadlift. didn't even have to look particularly hard, it's mostly just bricks & logs and stuff i found by the train tracks

the only lift i'm finding difficult to replicate is the bench press, because the bench in the park is slightly too wide (for one), which turns it into more of a floor press. and (for two) i haven't figured out a suitable rack setup yet so i have to get up from laying on my back holding the fully loaded bar when i'm done my set, which is per-carry-us to say the least. especially when doing decline bench (for decline bench i use a plank with a tire under one end up it.

for squats, overhead press etc i load the weights on top of the dip bars & come up under it. this wouldn't work for bench because the bars are kinda too narrow. but good for squats. have recently started going good mornings. sometimes it rains in the park and sometimes it suns. looking forward to working out in the winter, using a shovel to free up the bricks once they get frozen to the ground. drinking a big thermos of soup in between sets. etc. becoming powerful

I just fixed the right tail light on my car by replacing the bulb. I still had to take it apart and put it back together.

Also just found out the IRS gave me a tax refund for the second COVID relief check I didn't receive last year.

Edited by ambermonke
  • Like 1
  • Farnsworth 2
  • Big Brain 1

Went to a festival today, danced next to fire breathing ladies in leotards, hugged strangers, complained about the line-up and the shitty funktion one soundsystem. It was nice and in a way felt like a big fuck you to the paranoid anti-vaxxx crowd.  

• Like 1

I ate a pussy today for the first time in six months and she done a big cummie. I am pleased that my head game is still strong in spite of the lack of practice.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Squee said:

My girlfriend and I bought a house. We just need to sign the papers and that's it. I feel like throwing up and I'm worried about one billion things.

Congrats! Are there wedding bells in your future?