IGNORED

Boards of Canada - Tomorrow's Harvest

Alzado

not really a burn, if you understand English and the context. Marcus seems to be actually agreeing with fumi

Huh? He says pretty directly that having a negative opinion about something simply because it's popular in the mainstream is insane.

not really a burn, if you understand English and the context. Marcus seems to be actually agreeing with fumi

Huh? He says pretty directly that having a negative opinion about something simply because it's popular in the mainstream is insane.

the record has finally grown on me after days of tired / semi bored listening. I'll stand on a few critics : 8 years is insanely long for NOT reinventing themselves, it's not original at all, in the context of Tangerine Dream/Carpenters current revival (see new editions of soundtracks, or artists like Emeralds, Mist, Oneohtrix Point Never) i was disapointed to hear arpeggios AGAIN, also, it lacks the details, diversity of sound of Geogaddi (too many similar synth sounds in the record), bits of déjà vu here & then BUT strangely, depiste all this, i truly like the album now.

the record has finally grown on me after days of tired / semi bored listening. I'll stand on a few critics : 8 years is insanely long for NOT reinventing themselves, it's not original at all, in the context of Tangerine Dream/Carpenters current revival (see new editions of soundtracks, or artists like Emeralds, Mist, Oneohtrix Point Never) i was disapointed to hear arpeggios AGAIN, also, it lacks the details, diversity of sound of Geogaddi (too many similar synth sounds in the record), bits of déjà vu here & then BUT strangely, depiste all this, i truly like the album now.

I can relate to that. The album has a few lengths. But I listened to it rather loud recently. And the soundscape is pretty brilliant. I can still cry when the last synths fly in on "Reach For The Dead". And I like the idea of horizontal composing. But hate it at the same time since lots of those brilliant moments on the album are just passing by to never return.

It's a classic album. Probably one of the best.

My only minor gripe (it was a major gripe but gradually diminishing over time) is the lack of experimentation. Though Jacquard Causeway delivers the goods I guess on the off-kilter, leftfield sound.

If they could give me an Ep of something entirely out-there I'd be happy for another 8 years of Radio Silence, but I'd be dissapointed if they left it another massive length of time before releasing anything else.

Like IABPOITC served Geogaddi, I'd like the ..........? that serves Tomorrows Harvest. Then I'd settle down a bit. I think.....

Edited by beerwolf

• 2 weeks later...

Lol! Just buy it from HMV ;-).

Best track off the (brilliant) album imho. Wouldn't it be nice if they made it an ep with 3 new tracks. Somehow I doubt it.

Come to Dust will be the next single, released sometime in August. Not sure what juicy extras will come with it....

Based on what? Source?

knew you would say that

BBC6 Music. Nemone played it out last week with a little chat about the album and the long 8 year wait (she's a fan no doubt) and spoke about the new single Come to Dust and then played it. Middle of August I think.

interesting news beerboss!

that's definitely not the song I'd pick for their second single btw.. =/ Aside from the last 40 seconds that was one of my least favorite and I found it to be one of the least interesting songs they've ever put out...

I understand the songs place in the context of the album but don't feel it's a strong single in the least.

As far as singles go I would venture to say that Nothing is Real would have been a good single because it doesn't rely too heavily on the contextual backdrop of the album IE it stands quite strong on its own...

Granted, it has an extremely important part in the timeline of the album but I think it stands stronger on it's own than Come to Dust

Edited by StephenG

it makes sense, because RFTD flows into it; they're intended to be played consecutively, and because these are the two tracks that rely most-heavily on the contextual backdrop of the album, this is why they chose them. those "stand-out" tracks need to remain exclusive to the album... makes discovering that they exist that much more enjoyable.

it makes sense, because RFTD flows into it; they're intended to be played consecutively, and because these are the two tracks that rely most-heavily on the contextual backdrop of the album, this is why they chose them. those "stand-out" tracks need to remain exclusive to the album... makes discovering that they exist that much more enjoyable.

Hey I suppose you're right, thanks man... I didn't really think about it like that before.

to me this sounds extremely polished and really well thought out.

edit: @lumpy

I try to respect everyone's opinions when it comes to music, but if you don't like this, you're wrong and have bad taste in music. Just stating facts.

I try to respect everyone's opinions when it comes to music, but if you don't like this, you're wrong and have bad taste in music. Just stating facts.

I can confirm this post is 100% factual correct.

I love this record so much and I am not sure what to think about statements like "TH doesn't even sound like BoC."

It does

and is

and you all that are not enjoying it have to live with it.

In 4 years you will like it more, so be patient.

Or perhaps stop trying to be a BoC fan.

Please.

They don't want your money.

They think the economy is going to the grave anyhow.

Now on to important matters.

and excuse me if any of this has been said to death, I don't have time to read everything written about this record, but I have read the post TH interviews..................

So the album is laid out where each track is connected, like a shoelace connecting each side of the top, themes are repeated, collapse is at the center. It is a shape.

\/

From Gemini to Collapse it goes down, we go down. From Collapse to Semena Mertvykh it goes upwards. Symbolic of a change in the state of society. Money loses its value and we must rely on trading, farming and hunting to survive.

TH is a warning.

TH could start at the falling of the twin towers in 2001, Gemini, the twin sign, also the sign of Hermes, the messenger god. Our lives got all twisted by the falling of the WTC. A strong statement against the world economic structure. No matter what you believe happened that day, the WTC buildings being destroyed was a big fuck you to the elite that run the world's money systems. It also changed the way we interact with one another. Made us less trusting of each other, imo.

The album ends with Semena Mertvykh, two words that mean Seeds of the Dead? A very dark tune but also oddly calm. To me it speaks of how it is going to be okay after the shit hits the fan. One must always attempt to survive and keep humanity around a bit longer through the toughest times.

Within the remnants of society there would be a new beginning for the previously co-dependent masses of people, city slickers, who would have no clue how to survive after an economic collapse.

The first half of the record is sad, mournful.How most of us would feel as societies crumble and we learn to live by the skin of our teeth.

Then out of the collapse of society, something new occurs. Class structures would all but disappear. People would trade for goods and start communities again.

if we don't nuke the fuck out of everything.

This album has the darkest theme of any BoC record. Out of this darkness comes a truly inspired album by them. I feel the light and the dark throughout the record. It is a triumph.

love,

Atop

P.s. Has anyone tried mixing the tracks together? Like track Gemini with Semena Mertvykh, Reach for the Dead with Come to Dust, White Cyclosa with New Seeds, etc? I will try it out but I don't think it'll work. If it does, they will have my heart for a billion years just like Scientology has Tom Cruises' soul. It definitely won't work with Collapse, unless I break the track in soundforge, reverse the last half and paste it on top of the first half? hmmmmmmm....................

Come to Dust will be the next single, released sometime in August. Not sure what juicy extras will come with it....

Based on what? Source?

knew you would say that

BBC6 Music. Nemone played it out last week with a little chat about the album and the long 8 year wait (she's a fan no doubt) and spoke about the new single Come to Dust and then played it. Middle of August I think.

Ah, interesting. Haven't heard anything about that. Hopefully it will be a 'proper' single, and there will be a few non-album tracks on it, and hopefully no horrible remixes like the Trans Canada EP had.

Odd Nosdam told me that he actually went out to Scotland to hang out with BoC before doing the remix. I guess that didn't help his remix to be any better than it is. I didn't get any details out of him, he was told to keep quiet about the whole thing.

I hope Come to Dust has extra music with it, I don't think it will, probably another vid though but I am feeling another ep coming up before the year is through. Or early next year.

We shall see.

Well we can all breathe easy. In some of their latest interviews they touched upon doing no work outside of BOC, it seems they took a lot of time out to educate their young children etc.

I don't think it will be almost another decade before we hear more new BOC......

Ah, interesting. Haven't heard anything about that. Hopefully it will be a 'proper' single, and there will be a few non-album tracks on it, and hopefully no horrible remixes like the Trans Canada EP had.

You are wrong, the Odd Nosdam remix is great. It's a different kind of remix which makes it great.

Guest Sprigg

Semena finally clicked with me a few days ago... and then the magic vanished. The track bores me to tears. Loving the rest though, Telepath especially.

You are wrong, the Odd Nosdam remix is great. It's a different kind of remix which makes it great.

In. Your. Opinion.

Just like I thought it was shite.

In. Your. Opinion.

Just like I thought it was shite.

A bit of chatter about Trans Canada Ep in a couple of threads. I must admit I'm with Joyrex here, I've never really understood the big deal about this ep. Over on twoism their always going on about it, big time. Me? Mmmmeh.

If it was a fish it would be called Flounder

Edited by beerwolf