IGNORED

Boards of Canada - Tomorrow's Harvest

Alzado

I never said I disliked Trans Canada Highway; as a matter of fact, I really like it as it contains some of my favourite BOC songs:

Skyliner

Under the Coke Sign

Left Side Drive

Heard From the Telegraph Lines

Was never a Dayvan Cowboy fan, and the Odd Nodsam remix, as I've said before, is not a favourite of mine.

this comment is directed at oscillik. please don't respond with ahaha lol boc fanboy, because i'm not. i am of the opinion TCH is fairly rubbish.

however, you are where i used be; the contratian. if the national anthem was xtal, you would declare your version "with the genuine tape hiss" as better. should that version become widespread, you would discard it, and declare the track as being without redemption.

you need to get into jazz. there are looooooads of rare jazz recordings, way more than idm.

everytime i read a comment of yours, i am reminded of the people where the music is no longer a factor. only the arguments that the music leads to.

either learn to love music ina non-judgemental, non-associative way, or else fuck off, oscillik. you're kinda ruining music for everyone else with your miserable attitude.

this comment is directed at oscillik. please don't respond with ahaha lol boc fanboy, because i'm not. i am of the opinion TCH is fairly rubbish.

however, you are where i used be; the contratian. if the national anthem was xtal, you would declare your version "with the genuine tape hiss" as better. should that version become widespread, you would discard it, and declare the track as being without redemption.

you need to get into jazz. there are looooooads of rare jazz recordings, way more than idm.

everytime i read a comment of yours, i am reminded of the people where the music is no longer a factor. only the arguments that the music leads to.

either learn to love music ina non-judgemental, non-associative way, or else fuck off, oscillik. you're kinda ruining music for everyone else with your miserable attitude.

Dave, I'm surprised to hear you say that.

I must admit, however, that your post here is one of the most powerful and relevant posts I've read. Essentially, people need to get over their attitude that all their music is exclusive!!! Hey Dave, please pm me with some jazz recordings. I saw a band live last year that will blow your testicles out! I'd love to share their music.

That being said, Mr. Oscilik.. Still love you brother! =)

Edited by StephenG

It seems like every "Warp titan" release that drops on us ignites controversy like the empty Coke bottle from The Gods Must Be Crazy.

I still find Tomorrow's Harvest to be quite listenable, especially on overcast or rainy days. New Seeds especially makes me misty-eyed.

I never said I disliked Trans Canada Highway; as a matter of fact, I really like it as it contains some of my favourite BOC songs:

Skyliner

Under the Coke Sign

Left Side Drive

Was never a Dayvan Cowboy fan, and the Odd Nodsam remix, as I've said before, is not a favourite of mine.

Pretty much in agreement. Skyliner is probably BoC's most powerful track, and Heard From Telegraph Lines, which precedes it, serves as a good "appetizer".

And Kaini, is it possible you could change your signature to something other than that piece-of-shit quote I made a few months back? I'm embarrassed :unsure:

It seems like every "Warp titan" release that drops on us ignites controversy like the empty Coke bottle from The Gods Must Be Crazy.

I still find Tomorrow's Harvest to be quite listenable, especially on overcast or rainy days. New Seeds especially makes me misty-eyed.

Skyliner

Under the Coke Sign

Left Side Drive

Pretty much in agreement. Skyliner is probably BoC's most powerful track, and Heard From Telegraph Lines, which precedes it, serves as a good "appetizer".

And Kaini, is it possible you could change your signature to something other than that piece-of-shit quote I made a few months back? I'm embarrassed :unsure:

Let's have intercourse!

Or at least, breakfast together. :) lol

Sometimes people aren't contrarians, they're just right (heh). Popular opinion tends to be quite dull after all, and as Theodore Sturgeon said "90% of everything is crap".

Though opinions are like assholes and all equally valid (invalid?) and stinky. Some are just better considered than others.

I loved MHTRTC for a long time, but I hardly ever revisit it these days.

I loved IABPOITC ep and have never stopped loving it (especially Kid for Today).

I loved Geogaddi for about two weeks (though it's one of the few records to actually make me nauseous from listening to it too much), and still respect it but don't really "like" it in the sense of wanting to relisten to it all the way through...I do really love several tracks though, Julie and Candy, Beach at Redpoint, and Dawn Chorus being standouts.

I really liked TCH and have listened to it more than any other BoC album for sure. It didn't quite have the "wow" factor that MHTRTC or Geo had when they were released, but it somehow managed to repackage some of the BoC mystery into a more pop or easy listening format, without "selling out" or getting watered down (for the most part). Quite the trick they pulled with that one, as I think some of it sounds a bit too premeditated, and some of the "tricks" (like the fading volume on Farewell Fire) seem a bit too precious by far. But somehow, quite against my expectations, it ended up being my favorite BoC album.

I liked the TCH ep, but I didn't like that they put the remix on it (though I actually like the first part of the remix a lot!). That spoiled a bit of my appreciation of the ep, as I always felt BoC were above the 1990's fad of cd singles, their eps always seemed more unique, like artifacts, and artifacts shouldn't have "hit tracks" and "hit track remixes" on them imo. But that quibble aside, the music is pretty good - though for some reason the ep feels very very overthought and drained of energy to me. Like "Heard from Telegraph Lines", wow that's so lovely....but why do I get the feeling I've been here before? Same thing with Skyliner, it's so "uptight" (hard to think of a better way to describe it), that it feels annoying rather than expansive to me. But whatever, the music is pretty damned good. I just rarely revisit it.

I think some of their unreleased live tracks are some of their best work. Hi Scores is damn great, as is Twoism. I've never decided if I like Maxima better than MHTRTC or not. Most of the old tunes stuff is killer, though it doesn't quite gel in "album" form.

So yeah, TH. Don't think I was predisposed to go one way or another on it. I admit I'm a bit surprised at how many people thought it was a "big return to form after the failure of TCH." That I don't get at all, there are so many sonic details on TCH, and many nice short tracks. TH just seems a bit content-light to me.

differn't strokes....

I felt like I was experiencing TH overload so I decided to give it up for a few weeks. Listened again for the first time yesterday.

It's still fucking excellent.

The opening 5 minutes reminds me so much of Semena Mertvykh (erm, I didn't know that's what it was called either - the last track a.k.a the one in the initial album reveal)

I am honestly not getting tired of this album at all. I listen to it almost every day, and to me, it might even beat Geogaddi as being my favourite BOC album. I may even go as far as stating that this is my favourite musical piece of all time so far. I identify with the theme/concept greatly, knowing full well the long term negative consequences of our current economic model and the detrimental effects we put on our environment. There is a lot of variety throughout the album; you have those beautiful montage pieces, and the longer, more fleshed out tracks. Lots of lush moments (Nothing Is Real) and some energetic moments (Cold Earth). And of course, not forgetting emotional pieces like Reach For The Dead and New Seeds.

I stated before that I did not like the flow of the album but that view point for me is changing. I can't imagine what the next BOC album will sound like, and I would still be happy if they carried on using a similar sound palette to TH.

• 2 weeks later...

I was drinking beer and listening to Tomorrow's Harvest on mountain cabin porch In New Mexico when two high school and/or college age Jehovah's Witnesses walked up and asked if I was optimistic or pessimistic about the future during this time of great strife in instability in the world. I was like "optimistic I guess." They then told me how the Bible had passages about current events in the Old Testament and that there was salvation in God and blah blah. They asked if I had heard of their church (I had known a couple at work and school over the years - they usually are pretty normal and unassuming IRL) and politely I told them I wasn't interested in the latest copy of The Watchtower and I had my own beliefs and all. They were really friendly and unlike Mormons actually envied my beer in my hand and they said bye, and I told them to have a nice day.

This was all during "Collapse" and "Palace Posy." Oddly fitting.

I was drinking beer and listening to Tomorrow's Harvest on mountain cabin porch In New Mexico when two high school and/or college age Jehovah's Witnesses walked up and asked if I was optimistic or pessimistic about the future during this time of great strife in instability in the world. I was like "optimistic I guess." They then told me how the Bible had passages about current events in the Old Testament and that there was salvation in God and blah blah. They asked if I had heard of their church (I had known a couple at work and school over the years - they usually are pretty normal and unassuming IRL) and politely I told them I wasn't interested in the latest copy of The Watchtower and I had my own beliefs and all. They were really friendly and unlike Mormons actually envied my beer in my hand and they said bye, and I told them to have a nice day.

This was all during "Collapse" and "Palace Posy." Oddly fitting.

Most WATMM moment, 2013...

?