IGNORED

How come no venetian snares mention in featured artists?

PhylumZunami

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the recap of your Snares encounter reinforces why he didn't want a subforum.

And yes, I am sure it was the real Snares - next you'll be telling me it wasn't the real Cylob complaining about his subforum... sheesh.

I'm sure that they're sure that nothing is real and that they only come here to kill time in purgatory.

I think the recap of your Snares encounter reinforces why he didn't want a subforum.

And yes, I am sure it was the real Snares - next you'll be telling me it wasn't the real Cylob complaining about his subforum... sheesh.

I'm sure that they're sure that nothing is real and that they only come here to kill time in purgatory.

jean-paul-sartre.jpg

haha so wait, is he suggesting in there that one RDJ, aka guy who supposedly doesn't care what you think about him or his music, actually quit putting out releases because of 'teh haterz'?

That whole "man, i don't give a FUCK" is probably a façade or some defence mechanism. of course he cares. Or that's my take on the matter anyway. I won't go as far as even has to decide what has come upon.

interesting Vsnares convo. Seems like an eloquent man.

Snares drum programming improved a lot over the last releases but it's still nothing special, almost any jungle tune from '95 has better and more interesting break slicing at a slower pace and less glitchy.

If what snares' does is nothing special, there would be a lot more imitators just based off snare's relative commercial success.

Fact is what he does is not easily done. Whether or not you like it or think it's interesting is a different story. I challenge you to show us something from 95' that has drum programming as complex.

Snares drum programming improved a lot over the last releases but it's still nothing special, almost any jungle tune from '95 has better and more interesting break slicing at a slower pace and less glitchy.

If what snares' does is nothing special, there would be a lot more imitators just based off snare's relative commercial success.

Fact is what he does is not easily done. Whether or not you like it or think it's interesting is a different story. I challenge you to show us something from 95' that has drum programming as complex.

There's a ton of imitators, breakcore just died in favor of dumbstep and whatever skrillix does is called.

Yes there are tons of imitators just like there are tons of imitators of Aphex, SP, etc. But none of the imitators seem to come close to the aforementioned.

Comparing an imitator like Igorrr to V Snares is like comparing Jodey Kendrick to Aphex Twin.

I love all these artists don't get me wrong...

Edit: I have all of soundmurder's releases but what you've linked me to is from 2009, I'm looking for your fabled 95' stuff. lol

Maybe it's just a matter of taste I don't know. S'all good

An artist that destroys Venetian Snares tracking skills and breakage is

Well that's like, your opinion, man.

But I've heard a shit ton of tracks that sample reggae guys saying murder or here me now etc....

Like I said you won't find jungle that fast (or that glitchy) in '95 but I can post many examples of better break usage that's a lot more complex, layered and still groovy. Snares appeal is in the dorky humor in his music and those darn "weird time signatures" that people can't get enough at blistering speeds. The amen fuckery isn't that special is what I was getting at.

An artist that destroys Venetian Snares tracking skills and breakage is

Well that's like, your opinion, man.

But I've heard a shit ton of tracks that sample reggae guys saying murder or here me now etc....

Like you don't hear that in Snares music too. Jungle goes beyond those cookie cutter ragga-jungle tunes.

I like Jungle (proper) and I like Vsnares.

Imagine getting a shuffle of Soundmurderer's "Dreader than dread" remix followed by Második gakamb.

Is all good stuff.

Cheers for sharing the e-mails Jy, nice to see that these artists are people too.

It's basically as everyone has said in the thread - although the fact I always made it clear my dislike of his music was one factor. I think enough time has passed to share the email thread between me and Mr. Funk - who knows, perhaps enough time has passed (and WATMM has changed) to revisit this?

This conversation occured on 22 November, 2010

VSnares: Could you please remove this forum from your site? I'd really rather not be a part of it.

Joyrex:

Aaron,

Believe me, I didn't want the forum, but there are a lot of Snares

fans on WATMM and after years of begging and pleading, I conceded and

put it up.

I'll remove it, but make no mistake, they WILL know it was you who

requested the removal. I'm not about to take any more flack for a

forum I didn't want to begin with.

VSnares:

Thanks. It is your site after all, you should put up the content you want. I just really don't feel comfortable being represented by someone that dislikes me. Don't mind at all if you convey that to them.

Joyrex:

Aaron,

Is this what this is all about? Hell, Richard and I can't stand each

other, but it doesn't stop me from liking his music - in your case, I

have no personal issues with *you* per se, but I haven't found any of

your music that I've been able to get into - doesn't mean you're a bad

musician or anything (and I can understand how my comments about your

music can offend you).

I did find some Last Step tracks enjoyable (if that is really your

work; I've heard conflicting stories).

I think I should revisit some of your releases (I've said as such on

the forum in light of this desire for a Snares forum). Nothing

personal at all though.

If you'd prefer me to still remove the forum, I will, but in no way

would I use it as a platform to bash your music - WATMM is not at all

about me - just the music we all love to discuss.

Regards,

James

VSnares:

Good morning. We are the music makers, we are the music we create. When that music is continually insulted, it would be like insulting your child, saying they are ugly, an imbecile. I understand you wouldn't want to use it as a platform to bash my music, but I think in this case the majority of people on your site certainly see it as an opportunity to do just that. There is just bad blood there for whatever reason and I don't feel like I should be any part of it. I remember some years ago, 8,9,10 years ago perhaps I came across the site and joined up. Thinking great, discussion of electronic music, I'd like to hang out. Man, that was a mistake. I am just a person that loves making music, that loves music in general. I don't want to push it on anybody. I don't expect everybody to enjoy it. Releasing music for people other than my friends to hear is just a means to make a living. It's something I struggle with. At the same time, I leave it up to the music alone to promote itself, not taking part in the media end of things whatsoever. I think by putting musicians above us, in a separate category from us or otherwise is really some left over side effect of pop music and that whole culture. I don't want to be any part of that and do my best not to be. So the idea of there being a discussion forum about myself in a place I feel very unwelcome makes me really uncomfortable. You know what I mean? It just adds more fuel to a generally accepted facade that I am pushing my music on those people. You say you haven't been able to get into music, that is fine! Please don't try to force yourself get into it, it's just not for you! If I don't like something I just don't bother with it. For instance, I don't really like dubstep, so I just stopped checking it out. I would listen to it and think why do people like this? It's fine though, I'm not going to start any hate fest over it, I'll just leave it alone.I see so much hate on Watmm. It bums me out that people can't listen to music for what it is rather than what they'd like it to be. Music seems to be approached from some flawed notion that it is a service industry. We get this from years and years of pop music, films, television being produced in a way that caters to the most people possible to generate maximum revenue. Even people into this music scene are still buying into that, whether they are conscious of it or not. They seem to forget why they got into that music in the first place and all the rules of the mainstream start to take hold again in the underground. They forget their excitement for this music outside of the mainstream stemmed from from being shown something different, it showed them a new perspective as opposed to pandering to a thought already present in them. How then does that get flipped with expectations of more of the same? I really don't want to be a part of that. Take any of the artists you've featured on the site. These artists are doing what they love, yet much of the time this output is being disrespected by their "fans" as it's not what they'd prefer them to be doing. How could any Autechre fan expect them to keep making Confield? Or cater to their tastes in any way? It's absurd isn't it? People will do as they do I suppose, I'd just rather not be involved. Do you know why there aren't any Aphex Twin albums any more? I'm sad to say I do. You seem to be a thoughtful enough person, please respect my wishes.

Joyrex:

Aaron,

Fully understood. I'll take the forum down today, although I would like to point out it's not about you as I have said before, but your music - although I really can't see how to separate the two (for most people) easily, since you put a part of yourself into your creative output.

Also, massive LOL at you disliking dubstep (as do I), and being on Planet µ!

I wouldn't say there is a lot of 'hate' on WATMM per se, but very strong opinions - some expressed eloquently, others more crudely.

Best of luck in all your endeavors, and again, nothing personal.

Regards,

James

VSnares:

Thanks James. Yes, dubstep on Mu. That's one of the reasons I started my own label aside from that. Hehe I really have no way to separate myself from my music, suppose if I did, it wouldn't be mine anymore. I think it's like that for the majority of artists out there. It's a good thing really.

Good talking to you,

Aaron

Joyrex:

Aaron,

Likewise - and if I ever change my opinion on your music, rest assured you'll be the first to know and hear that I was wrong.

The forum's been removed, now just to deal with the fallout! :)

VSnares:

:)

Speaking of Fallout, I'm going to play some more New Vegas!

Joyrex:

Aaron,

Ah, you're a gamer too - good to know! PS3 or 360?

Me - PS3 - been going back through God of War III on Titan difficulty (hardest). Fucking epic game.

VSnares:

Both! Ah haven't played a GOW game since the first one, I remember it being really good, have to check out the new one. Yep, total gamer. So much so, I preordered New Vegas for PS3 but then found out the DLCs are exclusive to 360 so I just got the 360 version yesterday. Don't know if you're into the other Fallouts, but this new one is really great, it's pretty much the exact same mechanics as Fallout 3 but way quirkier. There's a perk you can take at the beginning called Weird Wasteland or something that makes you run into the weirdest and silliest situations. Still buggy though, lots of corrupted autosaves, gotta keep remembering to save before fast traveling. Really dig RPGs lately, super immersive. I like action a lot games too. If you like GOW on hardest you should check out Ninja Gaiden 2, that one is pretty satisfying as far as difficulty goes. 360 version is better though, the PS3 port is missing all the gore. :)

Joyrex:

Aaron,

Cool - you should get the God of War Collection as well (available on PSN as a download or on disc) - GoW I & II remastered in HD. I hadn't played either back in the PS2 days, so I really enjoyed playing them for the first time. Was the perfect intro into GoW III and really got me into the whole storyline and gameplay mechanics.

I like RPGs too (although I've been shying away from Final Fantasy XIII), and Fallout too (the corrupt saves scared me too much to invest the time in it). I'd wish they'd stop dicking around and make a Dragon Quest game for PS3 - the PS2 version (DQ 8) was super excellent, and really enjoyed playing that). They keep bringing them out for Nintendo DS, and fuck me if I'm going to play an RPG on a handheld.

Good chatting with you - anytime you want to drop me a line, feel free. I'm actually glad I got a chance to talk with you, albeit under odd (and unfortunate) circumstances.

Are you even sure this is Aaron? why on earth would he type such mails or care what the internet or you think joyboss? he doesn't seem that type to me

i ran into him once with my girlfriend on one of his shows when breakcore was hyype in belgium.

he was with some of his friends in the crowd after his gig, i saw him and tapped his shoulder, hell why not i'm a fan.

guess he wasn't into the mood to see some happy stoned drunk dude. I told him "i love your music man, it's so fucking awesome!"

i reached him my hand but he looked at me piss like i was poo and turned his back. i mean he looked friggin kanye west / nattefrost at me!

I was a bit confused and again tapped his shoulder even though he's a fucking viking

"here have a toke of my joint", i said, he pointed to give it to one of his friends and give me a full back again. My girlfriend looked at me like "WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU" and said, let's go this dude is an arrogant nutsack

hey maybe he was tired and wasn't in the mood for some fruitcake raver around but that was my unpleasant minute with snares lol

all aside, i still love venetian snares, many fantastic albums, an amazing artist and the last 2 times i saw him at dour festival he's was trying to murder the audience with his beyond oblivion bending amen breaks it was awesome

needs to have a subforum here we should VOTE

you got rAEb and sAEn here i do not doubt you joymeng i was worried maybe a mastertroll tricked you

thank u for the VOTE, i hope the breakcore beast aproves the subforum

and lol, you should ask him to do a AMA for watmm! :w00t:

i dont think that whole 'giving you the back' story makes him a dick at all. Have you ever been a musician who is on a multi-state or international tour? Probably the last thing you want is a fan whom you've never met wasting any of your time whatsoever after hours of plane flights or driving in a shitty tour bus. I think in that instance maybe he thought you wouldn't just be happy with a 'hello nice to meet you' and decided that if he gave you an in you'd want to actually spend 15-20 minutes with him smoking a joint (which judging from your post this is what you probably wanted). And to top it off, I don't know if Aaron is that big of a pot smoker either, getting psychedelically stoned with a total stranger, especially an ingratiating one is never really a fun experience regardless of the situation.

To me a lot of my love for his music is for his melodies and harmonies. They're really unique, long and complex, but really nice too. He's made his own little dark strange world with his melodic powers. I like visiting it.

To whoever said his stuff is soulless, you need a new clit.

If you don't like these tunes you be fucked in nipples.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRiyk-8LV5o

Edit: @ Dorky.

Exactly. How any of those are soulless or talentless I'll never understand how people can make those comments?

Like I said before, I don't see anyone else making tunes to his level. His glitchy stuff is arguably his trademark.

Shit even Autechre said in the AAA that they wish everyone could make music as good as Snares'!

I really didn't like Fallout New Vegas compared to Fallout 3.

They were both pretty good. Ever play the original fallout games?

i dont think that whole 'giving you the back' story makes him a dick at all. Have you ever been a musician who is on a multi-state or international tour? Probably the last thing you want is a fan whom you've never met wasting any of your time whatsoever after hours of plane flights or driving in a shitty tour bus. I think in that instance maybe he thought you wouldn't just be happy with a 'hello nice to meet you' and decided that if he gave you an in you'd want to actually spend 15-20 minutes with him smoking a joint (which judging from your post this is what you probably wanted). And to top it off, I don't know if Aaron is that big of a pot smoker either, getting psychedelically stoned with a total stranger, especially an ingratiating one is never really a fun experience regardless of the situation.

yeah i totally understand that and i don't think that makes him a dick. But if you would walk next to sean or rob on gig wouldn't you say hi? That was 8 years ago, i did a lot of grindcore and breakcore gigs then and it was normal to me you had a chat and a beer with an artist/band (hell there were only max 50people there each time) even if they flew from mexico and were on the road each day all the people i met before were very nice.

and yes i probably wanted him stoned :emotawesomepm9:

I don't know whether this is just my personal impression or whether there actually was more "hate" back then. I feel like there was generally a harsher tone around here around the time I signed up. Like, somebody would get flamed instantly if they posted their dreams or personal stories or something. Now it's more hug'n'kiss. Which is good! Maybe because of the internet becoming more and more involved in everyone's life with smartphones and omnipresent facebook sign-ins and whatever.

i imagine afx and vnsares looking at a monitor reading the internets and stumbling across some troll saying afx or vsnares sucks, and single tears rolling down their cheeks

so lol ... !

Guest skibby

Basically Joyrex started a VS subforum a few years back and received a PM from Aaron shorty thereafter explaining why he didn't want a subforum on this site. To my knowledge only Joyrex has read the contents of this message.

This is kinda what I understood. There was an attempt to include VSnares in the Featured Artists section, but then it was withdrawn at Aaron Funk's request.

do you realize what this MEANS?

it means that aphex twin wants his own subforum here, and probably lurks on WATMM!

hi mr. James, im a big fan and i evangelize about your music every chance i get.

Archived