IGNORED

How come no venetian snares mention in featured artists?

PhylumZunami

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I never liked breakcore and never paid much attention to Venetian Snares but that track posted above is...

quite good.

i see what you did there hehe.

Snares is a cool guy. I had the honor of creating the follow-up track to his on a chain-music type compilation (one artist does a track, sends a few stem bits from their track to the next artist who starts a track with that, and so on. Each track was made within 24 hours of the last). I mentioned it on the vsnares forum (different one) and Aaron himself commented in the thread saying he thought it was great and the perfect followup to his. For a n00b like me it was pretty high accolades. He also comes off as really down to earth and funny in interviews.

I understand a lot of the criticisms directed at his music, but I also think a lot of people making those criticisms are missing a lot of what's exceptional about his music. Those beats/that production could not be made by 'just anyone', and while I'm sure their are snares imitators out there, I'd be quite surprised to hear one create something I'd ever mistake for a Snares track. He is one of the only breakcore artists I've heard that has a sound distinct enough that it's instantly identifiable as his own. Play me 100 breakcore tracks I've never heard with one unknown vsnares track thrown in, and it would be obvious which was his. The beats, the melodic form and the production are all quite unique to the 'Snares, like or hate it. I confess it's rare I hear a Vsnares melody and think "that's a great melody", but they have a voice of their own and it fits the aesthetic he's established for himself. I think a lot of people, musicians included, will hear a track with an odd time signature and interpret it is gibberish because it's too difficult for them to follow the groove, especially at 200bpm. So I get why a lot of people hear it as a jumbled random mess, but if you can follow what's going on the music can be pretty rewarding. No one else can program beats quite like Mr. Funk.

Snares is a cool guy. I had the honor of creating the follow-up track to his on a chain-music type compilation (one artist does a track, sends a few stem bits from their track to the next artist who starts a track with that, and so on. Each track was made within 24 hours of the last). I mentioned it on the vsnares forum (different one) and Aaron himself commented in the thread saying he thought it was great and the perfect followup to his. For a n00b like me it was pretty high accolades. He also comes off as really down to earth and funny in interviews.

I understand a lot of the criticisms directed at his music, but I also think a lot of people making those criticisms are missing a lot of what's exceptional about his music. Those beats/that production could not be made by 'just anyone', and while I'm sure their are snares imitators out there, I'd be quite surprised to hear one create something I'd ever mistake for a Snares track. He is one of the only breakcore artists I've heard that has a sound distinct enough that it's instantly identifiable as his own. Play me 100 breakcore tracks I've never heard with one unknown vsnares track thrown in, and it would be obvious which was his. The beats, the melodic form and the production are all quite unique to the 'Snares, like or hate it. I confess it's rare I hear a Vsnares melody and think "that's a great melody", but they have a voice of their own and it fits the aesthetic he's established for himself. I think a lot of people, musicians included, will hear a track with an odd time signature and interpret it is gibberish because it's too difficult for them to follow the groove, especially at 200bpm. So I get why a lot of people hear it as a jumbled random mess, but if you can follow what's going on the music can be pretty rewarding. No one else can program beats quite like Mr. Funk.

Top post. Completely agree.

Guest murphythecat8

god I hate this,

Venetian snares is the type of artist that I think have no musical skills. His melodies and melodic progression is untasteful and just try to be interesting, but fails. His breakcore skills, while there I guess, just doesn mean anything, doesnt speak to me and always sounds exactly the same.

I however agree that he's instantly recognisable but in a bad way

What do you think of Venetian Snares Obel? I'M GLAD YOU ASKED

He's got a couple of seriously great tracks but I don't think I know of any other artists that try to wring more stale water out of the same old ideas. If you took all the worthwhile tracks from his entire career you might have a single album at best?

In terms of melodic ability it's virtually non existent. If you gauge how exciting and innovative music is by how fast, loud and abrasive it is, then yeah Venetian Snares is probably the most exciting music ever. It's just not interesting though.

And Venetian Snares stuff being different? Do me a fucking lemon.

Hey, at least I admit it's music though right? I'm not that much of a cunt. It ain't for me though, just puts me to sleep.

Oh and as for Venetian Snares live? Seen him three times, probably the most snoozeworthy stuff I've seen. Real insomnia cure tier.

Exactly, well said.

god I hate this,

Venetian snares is the type of artist that I think have no musical skills. His melodies and melodic progression is untasteful and just try to be interesting, but fails. His breakcore skills, while there I guess, just doesn mean anything, doesnt speak to me and always sounds exactly the same.

You should get new ears, I feel bad for you.

god I hate this,

You should get new ears, I feel bad for you.

What do yo expect from a guy that prefers kettel over afx and thinks autechre and bocbocboc are overrated.

2 say venetian snares has no musical skills is plain retarded

• 4 months later...

Maybe late to the thread, but my understanding was that VS himself didn't want a forum here, due to the vitriol of people who (like me) think he's incredibly overrated and terrible

Aphex didn't stop releasing because of internet hate, he stopped releasing because he ran out of ideas. Just look at Analord.

u got the right thread brah?

:emotawesomepm9:

Yeah I just read the whole thing and thought I'd throw in a snarky jab that would've been relevant had I said it back in March when the comment it's replying to was made. Maybe I should've quoted it for context.

#NoRegrets

I wasn't the biggest fan at first but then I really got into him, I mean has anyone heard EVERYTHING he's done? I think that email he sent to joyrex makes a lot of sense.

I think that unfolding box album sounds like pretty cool uncut aphex drukqs tracks. Like not miles away from that track on side two towards the end. Afx237 v7.

Aphex didn't stop releasing because of internet hate, he stopped releasing because he ran out of ideas. Just look at Analord.

u got the right thread brah?

:emotawesomepm9:

Yeah I just read the whole thing and thought I'd throw in a snarky jab that would've been relevant had I said it back in March when the comment it's replying to was made. Maybe I should've quoted it for context.

#NoRegrets

#yolo

Guest skibby

Just wondering, considering he is one of the greatest beat choppers to ever live.

but hes not british, and watmm is a british only music forum

Archived