IGNORED

What's Your Favourite Sound?

Joyrex

i live a bit out in the country, and so the distant bull frogs and crickets/insects etc are cool. some song birds etc. rain is also great, thunder, wind etc..

but another one i like is there is a highway a few miles away and you can hear like a steady low roar of the semis and other vehicles going down it (if you stand outside at like 12-1am). from the distance it just blends into a cool feint drone, which to my mind is kind of subtly ominous and claustrophobic sounding. i dont even know if a field recorder would pick it up but i'd like to try sometime.

the cicadas are pretty intense too

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i dont really have a favorite overall but right now my fave is Atom TM aka Uwe Schmidt's use of FFT and spectral effects to actually beef up, pepper and make a mix of otherwise normal sounding electronic percussion sound fucking awesome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jp0q0swv4k

currently my favorite production style that I've heard

yeh fft stuff can be really cool. reminded me of DtBlkFx, which i just found out got an update in 2008 from the v1.0 i have

i love those kinds of experimental dsp stuffs. cant really get into atom but his sounds are sharp

I don't mean this sarcastically - I like different sounds and weird sounds

Yeah, but what kind of different sounds - any examples?

Examples, hmm.. The bendy trippy guitar sound in 'Sister' by A Storm of Light about 2 mins in, the multitude of sound-sounds in NWW and TG, Buzz Osbourne's voice, Katie Jane Garside's voice, the high pitch tight unique chord distorted guitars in Placebo's first album, Dale Crover's drums, acid, mad breaks, thin synth sounds in Aphex, Adam Jones' guitar feeding back, the instruments and percussion of the Residents (I don't know how to describe), the wrong voice of the Residents, Aphex Twin scrape/hihat/something sounds, Venetian Snares and Autechre synths that sound like creatures, the crazy distorted drums on Doll Doll Doll, and also the synth in Aphex's live tracks and in Dave Monolith where there are very detailed changes in pitch/vibrato/parameters and so on that add this subtlety to the emotional expression of the tune - so that a synth might sound like a cracking voice for example

I like the sound of nature, like when I'm out in the mountains and I can hear the river running, or waves across a lake.. Cheesy stuff like that. It's really relaxing.

I also quite like silence. The closest I've ever gotten to complete silence was out in the desert, just a gust of wind occasionally but other than that it was almost silent.

i dont really have a favorite overall but right now my fave is Atom TM aka Uwe Schmidt's use of FFT and spectral effects to actually beef up, pepper and make a mix of otherwise normal sounding electronic percussion sound fucking awesome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jp0q0swv4k

currently my favorite production style that I've heard

Uwe Schmidt is so underrated and he's always putting stuff out unlike *ahem* other more well known electronic artists. In my top 5 electronic artists for sure.

I've always like the bass on bands like Primus and Korn

Sounds like the ones on 44 Cymru Beats when it gets heavy around the 4:40 mark - that kind of noise that is not too loud or high pitched that it becomes unpleasant, but it's still loud and energetic

Deep bass. I've always been a bass kind of person, cause it's more immediate and in-your-face I guess. Dub, UK dubstep and stuff like that

also, the noise fakry on the second part of recks on. lo_ve it! :wub: ...i have so few of fav sounds in music :( but i know fo sho which ones i don't like.

p.s. great lyrics uwe! lol i like his sense of humor.

Sounds like the ones on 44 Cymru Beats when it gets heavy around the 4:40 mark - that kind of noise that is not too loud or high pitched that it becomes unpleasant, but it's still loud and energetic

right on! that section is mind melting! blew my mind first time i heard it, and every time after still to this day. def still ranks as probably my all time favorite aphex moment

right on! that section is mind melting! blew my mind first time i heard it, and every time after still to this day. def still ranks as probably my all time favorite aphex moment

Yeah that part is the jam. I love it cos even though its harsh and loud and shit it isnt at the same time cos hes taken out all the crap frequencies so its still pleasent to litsen to

Two favourites come to mind:

1. Any sustained bass drone with an alpha wave pattern, especially that of turboprops, generators, and that sound towards the end of 1 1 is on Ae's Exai.
2. Gamelan - a class of Indonesian percussion instruments. One example is played throughout Gong Acid, the final track on Squarepusher's Budakhan Mindphone.

Two favourites come to mind:

1. Any sustained bass drone with an alpha wave pattern, especially that of turboprops, generators, and that sound towards the end of 1 1 is on Ae's Exai.

2. Gamelan - a class of Indonesian percussion instruments. One example is played throughout Gong Acid, the final track on Squarepusher's Budakhan Mindphone.

gong acid =)

one sound i can't get in to is the sound of people kissing when it's really quiet and you can hear all the juices eww

TB-303s at that one point of cutoff and resonance that it feels like there's a fly fucking your ear... in a good way

overdriven kickdrums

pizzicato strings

grande pianos

clarinets

slap bass

water sounds, frogs, rough deep voices like Tom Waits'

g funk synth used in any context

303 squelch

girls with nice voices talking quietly

a steady stream of your own piss hittin' the wintry earth

I'm sure my pleasure in individual sounds is one of the main things attracted me to IDM, particularly Ae. I bet it's true for most of us here. To me a lot of it seems to be about really cool sound assemblages, that don't frequently happen in music, arranged to occur in intricate but seemingly natural rhythms.

good string arrangements in pop songs, like in a lot of Motown

Construction noise from a few blocks away when I'm walking around downtown of a city, and all the buildings give an awesome reverb to the clangs and thuds.

Juno synths, might be a particular kind, I don't know. Probably why Returnal is the only OPN album I like all the way through

Rob Brown's dishwasher

delicious brass ensemble harmonies

waterfalls

Loons have the best birdcalls ever

that fine snow crunch sound in Rettic AC

a good 303 bass line, of course. The squelchier, the better

mika vainio's snare

If it's about musical instruments, I love the digital sounds used in the Akira OST and in Ecophony Rinne. I also love Side A of Kraftwerk's Electric Café, because it feels sharp and spacious, like the drums and the boings and the booms and the marimbas and the clangs are floating in the virtual black space of the cover art. I also like a lot of Ryuuichi Sakamoto/YMO's sounds: the Bamboo Houses/Bamboo Music collab with David Sylvian comes to mind, and the drums on the album version of 1000 knives are crazy. There's also something about the bass in Kraftwerk's Computerliebe, especially during the final, instrumental part (one of the most beautiful albums ever. by the way, my cd sounds a bit muddy, is this normal?). Also the bass on Ken Ishii's Endless Season.

Ae have lots of awesome sounds too - for example the main (?) melody in Nuane (the one that sounds like a hybrid between an organ and dub stabs), but there are lots more!

And, uh, the flutes and the piano in Oxygene Part 2, and also the main sequence in Magnetic Fields Part 1. I know, I know, cheesy as fuck.

Tangerine Dream have some pretty awesome sounds on Rubycon too.

Besides that, I generally like FM sounds a lot.

Gamelan recordings are amazing. I have a couple on cassette, including this one, and it's quite lovely.

Archived