IGNORED

APHEX TWIN - SYRO

chim

Oh fuck, am I turning into one of you fanboy nerds? I'm loving this album up to now. It seems like it's compilation of the bits of aphex I like. Quite instant and easy listening, I hope I don't get bored too quickly. Instant albums tend to get old and tricky albums tend to grow to favourites.

They break up the intensity, reprepping your mind for the mental beats, in a way. Don't get me wrong, I believe strongly that: complexity and intricacy =/= good music, but I still stand by my statement of this being one of his most solid releases in a long, long time.

I'm with you 100% on this one, it's safe to say I haven't even begun to listen to this album. That's just my impression as of now.

no wait, maybe my point is = to compare syro to earlier albums is one thing. to say syro is disappointing compared to previous albums says less about the new album and more about the expectations you had set up !!

I think you're right, this doesn't actually say much about Syro's merits as an album. The point here is that many of us (over)listened to drukqs in incredibly formative years of our lives, or at least it was a milestone for our perceptions of what music can be - like aphex said in the pitchfork interview, it literally reshaped our brain pathways - and there simply isn't anything that's going to easily contend with that.

Comparing this with drukqs and saying it falls short, or something to that effect, doesn't mean that it's a bad album or that any of us is disappointed. I expected something that was better than most tripe out there, and perhaps one of his top releases, and it most certainly is. I think it would be audacious to expect something that would be better than his best work. So it's not really a talk about dissapointment, I'm just trying to figure out where on the spectrum people are placing this so far. Maybe it's best to wait for the dust to settle a few months.

Edited by chim

Only had a couple of listens and v much enjoying it but so far prefer the 1st half (also love the last track!) I find some of the big brash ufabulum sounding bits a little off putting but think this album will be a grower yeah its quite accessible but can already tell there is so much hidden depths in there to explore

I hear no ufabulum on this. I found that cold and brash. This has totally different timbre's.

I hear no BoC, no more plaid apart from the feel in the structure of the first half of mini pops. I hear a progressive angle on the tuss with typical aphex cliche techniques and sounds from past albums. It will probably spurn a trend for a while but not particularly in mainstream music. It will probably drive up the prices of FM synths even more and people will go Gaga over the FS1R and they will reach cs80 prices ha.

Guest Jbrace1970

on my first listen to the fabled metz track I've got to say i was disapointed,however on saturday morning feeling a little delicate i tried it a again.i laughed to myself how could i have been so wrong.it was perfect.then tried to play it just now and it done my head in again.

My comments about it sounding like Plaid are more directed to Minipops than the album. As I said on the CHATMM, this is like Aphex's Hello Everything: a mix of everything Aphex does on one record.

I think it's a solid record. Not much new or paradigm shifting but definitely great listening.

Yep, I was/am agreeing with you. It was the first thing I thought when I heard it but I must admit, I hear it less now and it's just mini pops.

She said that vladimir Putin is an aphex fan and does robotic dancing around his big red nuke launch button to vordhosbn. The only reason he does not press it is because he gets too into the music.

Does anyone have a translation of what that Russian bird is saying at the start of the track? Has this been answered already?

"This is a stretch of sound in time" or something to that effect

Does anyone have a translation of what that Russian bird is saying at the start of the track? Has this been answered already?

"This is a stretch of sound in time" or something to that effect

"Pseudo strech of sound it time" to be absolutely correct. Basicaly pseudotimestretch

Also in earth portal she just sings "streeeeching" in russian

The only thing I cringe about on Syro is hearing the vocal sample in produk 29 - is it really necessary? The vocals aren't even melodic or processed/vocoded - just sounds totally out of place with such a magnificent track. Would much better without them I think; they don't add anything.

The only thing I cringe about on Syro is hearing the vocal sample in produk 29 - is it really necessary? The vocals aren't even melodic or processed/vocoded - just sounds totally out of place with such a magnificent track. Would much better without them I think; they don't add anything.

me thinks the same