IGNORED

APHEX TWIN - SYRO

chim

He gave it a 6 ? a fking 6 ??

I give hime him a fucking ZERO

6/10 is not even remotely funny. it cannot be less that 8 or 9 basically, cause it's so good. fucking noobs that listening to bad quality mp3s...

I think all of my favourite albums would still sound great at 64 kbit/s, so that's not a valid argument. It is a bit telling as well that there's so much talking about the sound quality of this album. It may be great, I cannot really tell even though my setup is not that bad, but I don't really care about that. There's fantastic emotional depth on SAW or ICBYD and it doesn't really matter what quality the files, (physical) record or audio setup is.

I'm not saying that Syro doesn't work at lower quality, but as I said, there seems to be a lot talk about the sound quality and mastering per se, compared to other albums.

Definitely agree about an unusual amount of chatter about the mastering etc. I think part of the reason its mentioned so much is because its refreshingly 'uncompressed' sounding compared to sooooo much electronic music now. Its not in-your-face loud at every moment and has a lot of breathing room. If most albums were mastered this way I don't think it would be in the discussion so much.

that's interesting you say that since my very first impression of Minipops is that it sounded more compressed than any previous Aphex material. Of course it doesn't sound like its trying to emulate modern shitty 'edm' music but still.

anyways if people are not in love with the way the CD or digital was mastered, at least check out the vinyl (or a rip of it). It has noticeably more dynamic range and the transients are more sharp/punchy. On Xmas Evet10 for example you can hear the different volume levels of each bass line stab, whereas on the CD they sound almost the same volume the whole time. You can also much more clearly hear the piano riff on Xmas Evet10 on vinyl VS cd

my very first impression of minipops was that it blew my tits off

pressing play on syro feels like taking a drug: instant dopamine

I'm at work and I just saw this:

Spotify's Top 10 most viral tracks
UNITED KINGDOM
1. Imagine Dragons, "Warriors" (Universal Music Ltd.)
2. alt-J, "Lovely Day (Bonus Track)" (Infectious)
3. Slash, "Sweet Child O' MIne - feat. Myles Kennedy and The Conspirators; Live at Spotify, London" (Roadrunner Records)
4. James Bay, "Let It Go" (Republic Records)
5. Aphex Twin, "minipops 67(120.2)(source field mix)" (Warp Records)
6. SBTRKT, "Voices In My Head" (Young Turks Recordings Ltd)
7. Flying Lotus, "Never Catch Me (feat. Kendrick Lamar)" (Warp Records)
8. Slipknot, "The Devil In I" (Roadrunner Records)
9. Waze & Odyssey, "Bump & Grind 2014 (Waze & Odyssey vs. R. Kelly) - Radio Edit" (RCA Records)
10. Baz Luhrmann, "Everybody's Free (To Wear Suncreen)" (Capitol Records)
Above FlyLo and SBTRKT! I'm surprised.
Edited by flim

MEGA-interview ultra detailed conversation MEGA extensive in-depth interview
TOTALLY & UTTERLY SYROBONKERS!!!!

Wow, Noyzelab, easy on the superlatives on your own article. I'm immediately getting sceptical here.

Anyway, this could be good but I hope the interview is written better than this piece. Still have no idea what the connection Barclays - Aphex Twin is?

Mr. Anthony's criticisms are kind of weird. Way too much talk of production quality which I guess he expected to be mindblowing and ahead of the curve in 2014? Needed more talk about the tunes themselves. He said Anastasia was dull as an album closer, but what would he think about it if it was just presented to him solo. He called a 10 minute track a monster and gave praise to all but like 3 tracks, and gave it a 6. Many other albums he gives 8s don't get as much praise as he gave Syro in that video.

He gave the FKA album 'LP1" an 8/10 for perspective. The production quality is on the same level as syro... well except the bass in Syro is more juicy, but as tunes I didn't hear anything nearly as fun or as detailed or as engaging as Syro.

So who knows, maybe he draws a number out of a hat for the score.

He also seems to be reviewing the album holistically. What if an album has 6 out of 12 tracks that you think are MONSTERS and insane, but the other 6 are kinda sucky. a 5/10? Would you give an album with a solid 12 out of 12 so-so tracks a 5/10?

Edited by Brisbot

What I'm talking about has nothing to do with that interview...

And here I thought the GREATEST MOST SYROBONKERS RDJ INTERVIEW EVER was better than any new music :happy:

Edited by Brisbot

Guest bitroast

HERE IT IS GUYS

Joyrex, hope you don't mind me disclosing early.

Dear Community,

We have an exciting offer today, which will help us give funds to WATMM.

You're going to love what I have to share with you today.

But before we get to that let me ask you something?

What are the biggest stumbling blocks you're having to make beats like pros?

Want to create electronic music?

Are you tired of crap samples?

Maybe you are dreaming of making money or get famous with your own music...

Well if you answered YES to any of those, this offer is specifically for YOU.

The reason I'm so excited is I just found one of the COOLEST Beat Maker I've ever seen.

It's called DUBturbo & you can check out their page here: dubturbo.watmm.com

But let me share with you why this is so cool:

1) First of all: This software is very easy to use, that you can make your music right away without any skills.

2) You don't need a supercomputer to work with it. Just simple download&setup on your PC or MAC, begin to make music immediately.

3) The coolest part is; That you can make music on your computer or online. And also run it remotely, no matter where you are...

4) Learn how to monetize your beats...

Once you have it, you will access to tons of samples, and you can join in to 5.000 USD rewarded "DUBturbo Producer Contest".

I'm highly recommending you check them out here: quitegood.watmm.com

In fact, having DUBturbo will make you feel like a pro... And there is a 60 day refund policy, nearly nobody uses.

To say Thank You here is the super bonus I have for you:

If you get this incredible offer of DUBturbo I will give you my 17 USD worth special e-book "How To DJ" for FREE!

In this e-book you will find useful information how to be a Good DJ...

Here's What To Do To Score This Sweet Deal:

Step 1. Click Here & Get DUBturbo dubturbo.watmm.com

Step 2. E-mail your receipt here: richardpls@watmm.com

Step 3. You will get your Free Copy of “How To DJ” right away.

Cheers & make sure you jump on this ASAP!

Sincerely,

Joyrex with partner

PS: Act Fast and get it today with 75% Off, I don't know how long they will hold this Limited Time Offer...

I laughed out loud. and felt bad about it for like, half a second.

Fantano has obviously never used drugs that is why he is so nauseatingly pedantic. I don't really mind the review though. I just enjoy hearing him pause to over emphasize the pronunciation of words.

Syro (esp tracks 6-9 & 11) = RDJ's most 'skeletal' album? In some ways it reminds me of what Autechre did with Untilted. Except on Syro there are almost no typical effects (delays, reverbs, post production glitches, etc) whatsoever on this section of tracks.

I keep getting this symbolic meaning out of the album art, as well as the gear list. One obvious theme being transparency, full disclosure. In a way a good chunk (6-9, 11) of this album sounds like that as well, no trickery no washing of effects to embellish a sound or emotion, it's almost like he's daring us to like his music without any of the modern flash. Not too dissimilar to what he did with Analord, but I'd argue went a step more. Analord had a lot of knob twiddling and spring reverb, this has a surprisingly low amount of that even on the songs that sound like all hardware

Edited by John Ehrlichman

I'm never going to link another anthony fanto review again. This guy has used the following negatives against it:

• His style sounds like Aphex which is vintage apparently
  • Too many notes, and didn't feel the need to understand it
  • Minipops isn't as good as the other songs
  • His DnB isn't Come To Daddy
  • His album might make other artists release music who haven't in a while

Well done. I agree its not good.