IGNORED

Syro period interviews

Boris de Vries

• Replies 710
  • Created
  • Last Reply

thanks for the Q interview! it was, shall I say, quite good! This line did it the most for me, and I know someone on here had a similar thought when opinions started filling up in the syro thread.

James warns cheerily that he's going to get "all cosmic on your ass now", because he's getting to the point of the whole thing. He's come to believe that music materially changes the person who makes it and the people who hear it.

All the interviews are after his birthday when he did a load of drugs and got cosmic and didn't sleep for 3 days.

That is when conspiracy theories really become fun.

heh, or scary. To me it sounds like he's been digesting this sort of stuff for a while, and I think its downright ballsy to come right and say that you 'absolutely' think 9/11 was an inside job. It's practically a guaranteed way to make you a laughing stock here in the states. Any celebrity short of maybe Ed Asner and Robert Orci has been quasi blacklisted because of holding similar views.

yeah, pretty scary. stay off drugs kids

That casette (Tomita - Snowflakes Are Dancing) Aphex mentioned from his childhood:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snowflakes_Are_Dancing

The back of the album sleeve displays a complete list of the recording hardware that Tomita used in the creation of this album,

http://www.discogs.com/Tomita-Debussy-Snowflakes-Are-Dancing/master/27190

http://www.discogs.com/viewimages?release=65415

Coincidence? :emotawesomepm9:

Also surprised to find out "I" was made when he was 13, always thought the "85-92" in the title was one of his many pisstakes

I swear I called this a while back, as I is essentially noodling around on a pad, so something you could do before you've mastered your craft. But I can't find a citation, so maybe I didn't mention it online anywhere...

At any rate, Surfing on Sine Waves was written between '86 and '89, so it didn't take him too long to work out how to make toneless purely beat driven music, out of tune music (listen to the organ in Bradley's Robot A2, for instance), and music that's sort of in key but doesn't really have chords, all in single sections with various instruments coming and going.

It's the Melodies From Mars and Hangable Auto Bulb era when he really started learning how to make melodic music with sections, but even before then he was great at making patches and the like. You can see the same sort of path with Orbital, who took a while to make music that was consistently in tune. Dance music doesn't really require its practitioners to be musicians as such, which is what makes it so welcoming to newcomers. :) What was so good about James back then was largely that he sampled his own eccentric sounds, and paired those with good, albeit structurally limited, music.

That was a lucky find, having Snowflakes Are Dancing before getting into music. Not a bad introduction. I'd really recommend his version of The Planets too.

Equipment lists in sleeve notes are pretty common in some electronic music circles. You should check out Synth Music Direct some time, they have a bunch of albums by musicians who are really proud of the equipment they use. :)

Thanks for the dissertation on music professor, you're correct - RDJ totally didn't know how to write a melody before hangable auto bulb...hahaha what a bunch of shit!!! Are you on crack?! Seriously these types of posts are why I hate forums and the internet in general. One has to be subjected to every joe schmo's comentary on everything. Totally takes all the mystique and magic out of the music itself (or atleast tries to). YOU KNOW NOTHING!!!!! Where is your music??? where is your art???

That casette (Tomita - Snowflakes Are Dancing) Aphex mentioned from his childhood:

The back of the album sleeve displays a complete list of the recording hardware that Tomita used in the creation of this album,

Also surprised to find out "I" was made when he was 13, always thought the "85-92" in the title was one of his many pisstakes

I swear I called this a while back, as I is essentially noodling around on a pad, so something you could do before you've mastered your craft. But I can't find a citation, so maybe I didn't mention it online anywhere...

At any rate, Surfing on Sine Waves was written between '86 and '89, so it didn't take him too long to work out how to make toneless purely beat driven music, out of tune music (listen to the organ in Bradley's Robot A2, for instance), and music that's sort of in key but doesn't really have chords, all in single sections with various instruments coming and going.

It's the Melodies From Mars and Hangable Auto Bulb era when he really started learning how to make melodic music with sections, but even before then he was great at making patches and the like. You can see the same sort of path with Orbital, who took a while to make music that was consistently in tune. Dance music doesn't really require its practitioners to be musicians as such, which is what makes it so welcoming to newcomers. :) What was so good about James back then was largely that he sampled his own eccentric sounds, and paired those with good, albeit structurally limited, music.

That was a lucky find, having Snowflakes Are Dancing before getting into music. Not a bad introduction. I'd really recommend his version of The Planets too.

Equipment lists in sleeve notes are pretty common in some electronic music circles. You should check out Synth Music Direct some time, they have a bunch of albums by musicians who are really proud of the equipment they use. :)

Thanks for the dissertation on music professor, you're correct - RDJ totally didn't know how to write a melody before hangable auto bulb...hahaha what a bunch of shit!!! Are you on crack?! Seriously these types of posts are why I hate forums and the internet in general. One has to be subjected to every joe schmo's comentary on everything. Totally takes all the mystique and magic out of the music itself (or atleast tries to). YOU KNOW NOTHING!!!!! Where is your music??? where is your art???

Read the rules.

Umm... http://zoeblade.bandcamp.com/ Think you might be taking your anger out on the wrong person here.

Not trying to start a flame war and I'm not even that angry... more like I think people should be called out for certain statements if they're going to spout them off so matter of fact. And I don't really see the point of posting someone's Bandcamp page, everybody has one these days and it doesn't give license to anything. I have several releases of my own, many of them on vinyl and on pretty well known and respected underground labels. It's besides the point.

All the interviews are after his birthday when he did a load of drugs and got cosmic and didn't sleep for 3 days.

heh, or scary. To me it sounds like he's been digesting this sort of stuff for a while, and I think its downright ballsy to come right and say that you 'absolutely' think 9/11 was an inside job. It's practically a guaranteed way to make you a laughing stock here in the states. Any celebrity short of maybe Ed Asner and Robert Orci has been quasi blacklisted because of holding similar views.

I prefer Aphex's approach, stay off believing in only boring things

Er, is there a third opinion besides ZoeB's and killabyte's I can side with here?

Killabyte is entitled to disagree with ZoeB, i don't think there is a third opinion, you just have to weigh up the two posts. ZoeB is very matter of fact in what she says and that can rub people up the wrong way. She's tuned into different dimensions from her own experiences making music, sometimes it transcends reality and goes beyond being a human. Is there anything that's been said that suggests SOSW was written between '86 - '89? I would also disagree that HAB was when he first learnt to make melodic music with sections. But I do understand that ZoeB makes ambient / dance music herself so perhaps has an affinity with her favorite electronic artists that others cannot understand. I just feel that sometimes she doesn't explain it so well.

Philippe Laurent really good. thanks for the intro

It's funny, I knew hot bip from some DJ set, just a weird song in it. Then a while back, I played a show with my own band and this 'legendary synth guy' was supposed to play. So this weird old guy starts playing that Hot Bip song and I was like whaaaaaaat

Ok back on topic. has that noyzelab thing come out yet? I can't wait to hear more unreleased aphex twin songs

[edit] Also thank to Herr Jann for keeping updating the OP. :beer:

Boring is irrelevant, more like "blatantly false'.

Guest Wander

I think Richard says a lot of very interesting and insightful stuff in his interviews, but the moment he goes to the territory of "it's fine to just believe in stuff that can't be verified just cause you want to" I have to disagree. It's not fine. In Richard's case it might be completely harmless, but this sort of thinking has larger implications that are not so.

Believing in conspiracies is a bit weird cause I'm not entirely sure if believing in them affects your day to day routine. Do people who believe in chemtrails avoid populated areas where you will have more plane traffic and thus more trails and supposed chemicals? If you think this or that was an orchestrated thing, what does it change about the world you live in? People like Richard have more power than most cause the media will print his words into magazines, but is he hoping to make some sort of an impact by talking about conspiracies? Or is he just saying stuff, cause whatever?

you think Bush told us the truth about 9/11? I wouldn't actually say at this point that he did 9/11 or anything like that, but it's very implausible that the attacks could have taken place without inside help. The other stuff is more of the folklore variety.

it's pretty wild to me that so many people rightfully think Bush was a pathological liar and a criminal (allowed torture, illegal wiretapping, outing secret CIA agents for revenge) but for some reason tend to give him the benefit of the doubt about 9/11. In time that blind spot will be lifted I think, once all the uninformed assholes stop ridiculing people who think we were lied to about 9/11. In time the truth will win out. The redacted 28 pages of the 9/11 congressional inquiry implicating Saudi Arabia in the attacks is just the tip of the iceberg.

I can’t believe I’m asking this but… @JE, let’s say I wanted to wile out for a bit and read up on the shit you just mentioned. Is there a SANE URL a man can read for discussion of said theories without veering into spicy bananapants territory?

Or Rich, just PM me if you know of one

Since when did people start taking Richards interviews so seriously?! To me he does two types of interview and it's usually quite obvious if he's taking the piss, it's in Q Magazine ffs, don't confuse his recent generosity for the truth with his usual manipulation of the mainstream press.

First page of Q interview. Pretty good read thus far. It excites me that SYRO is as poppy as it's going to get 8-)

q340-APHEX-TWIN.jpg

well at least this picture looks cool, but damm was he electrocuted before the picture was taken ? look at his hair

I can second his aliens claims.

thirded

Since when did people start taking Richards interviews so seriously?! To me he does two types of interview and it's usually quite obvious if he's taking the piss, it's in Q Magazine ffs, don't confuse his recent generosity for the truth with his usual manipulation of the mainstream press.

what makes you think he's taking the piss about the 'conspiracy' stuff? I get the distinct impression that a wiser/older Richard really isn't taking the piss anymore in any of these new interviews.

I can’t believe I’m asking this but… @JE, let’s say I wanted to wile out for a bit and read up on the shit you just mentioned. Is there a SANE URL a man can read for discussion of said theories without veering into spicy bananapants territory?

Or Rich, just PM me if you know of one

I'd start with this, just the tip of the iceberg and probably the 'safest' aspect of 9/11 truth the mainstream media can touch at this point

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5V0Bu7TKOhY

basically 28 pages of the first investigation into 9/11 are still classified/redacted. These 28 pages implicate possible state actors of funders in the 9/11 attacks. People who've seen it have said that it basically points squarely at saudi arabia (which is strange considering we militarily attacked Afghanistan and Iraq instead and still give millions of dollars to Saudi Arabia yearly)

so that's probably the lightest rational starting point for 9/11 truth honestly

After that I would look at this website : http://historycommons.org/project.jsp?project=911_project

it's literally just compiling every single available news story relating to 9/11 in chronological order, and by looking at certain sub-timelines you'll see very quickly how much we were lied to about things like Bush administration warnings and foreknowledge of the attacks, blatant perjury and majorly contradictory statements made by officials implicating some kind of criminal complicity (best casE: negligence, worst case: murder)

here is a compilation of the all the warnings that the US government knew something like 9/11 was coming

http://historycommons.org/timeline.jsp?timeline=complete_911_timeline&complete_911_timeline_key_events=complete_911_timeline_key_warnings

It's been a long time since I even told people to go check out things like WTC7 since although as jarring as it is to see the building falling, it doesn't help someone come to a better understanding of what actually happened on 9/11. Usually the whole controlled demolition angle is where most conspiracy debunkers focus, since it's becomes kind of like the moon landing debates. Debunkers rarely ever touch anything on history commons though, since it's all factual and not up for dispute.

edit: also the 2001 anthrax attacks are worth looking into, if theoretically 9/11 was an 'inside job' very likely Anthrax was merely a 2nd stage of the same operation. You don't have to go this far in your beliefs though to think that many aspects of it are seriously fucking strange.

(full disclosure, I put together this short movie because the 2001 anthrax attacks have an obsession of mine for a while)

in that q interview its like he's literally saying that if i, mistere, (or anyone) were to concoct a story about aliens influencing world politics, and edit a video together with lots of creepy footage and just the right kind of creepy narration, to get at least a few tens of thousands of views and thousands of thumbs up, and he stumbled across that video, that he would 'absolutely' believe everything i said in it, without question or scrutiny. because it would be 'more interesting' than 'boring' reality. and that's the synthesis of 99% of those conspiracy ideas, forum posts and youtube videos made by teens-20somethings who have no idea about anything in the world, which they put out there reinforcing the echochamber. 99% of these ideas aren't interesting or creative or original, either. (most are probably sourced from the history channel............... ...... ...)

and here's me 100% unsurprised that this appeals to some people here.

also, his 'believe things because they're interesting, whether they can be proven or not' message could 100% be applied to defending religious beliefs, and is 180 degrees inverted from anything resembling scientific thought process. but i have to wonder how many people who think what he's saying here is awesome or ballsy, are against religions because they are made up of blind followers who believe things without facts or scrutiny, because the real, scientific world isn't exciting enough for them?

but anyway these reasons lead me to think he's just messing around in that interview, or even slightly mocking some of the types of things he's seen here/elsewhere. because he's literally saying 'i believe X, Y, Z, pretty much everything i see, without question'. he literally said he believes 'all of it'. that implies a complete lack of scrutiny in what he chooses to believe, doesn't it? to me that reads more of a criticism of people who believe X, Y and Z (and it still is whether he intended it to or not). but still, i wouldn't be surprised if he's being serious either. i don't really care either way, it's just a bit 'interesting' to think about

im not sure if that part of what he said was the serious part. When he said that modern conspiracy theory stuff is better than scifi and that alex jones is always 'fucking it up' for himself, he sounded like someone who's digested a lot of this stuff, maybe some for entertainment maybe some of it seriously. Harry Shearer said a similar thing about conspiracy theories in a Bohemian Grove documentary. Something like the legends conspiracy theorists write about are better than most modern storytelling. I mean David Wilcock is entertaining as fuck, I watch his stuff because it's batshit + engaging and creative. Doesn't mean I necessarily believe it though.

maybe he wasn't being serious, but immediately following the part in the interview where he said he 'absolutely' believes 9/11 was an inside job, he then says:

"when you follow stuff on the internet about Illuminati, New World Order, aliens, even if none of it's true, it's just a thousand times better than any science fiction..."

then "yeah i do believe pretty much all of it. you can't only believe things which can be proven."

that stuff came right after the 9/11 thing. it's like hes lumping 9/11 in with bigfoot, illuminati, and the guy on the history channel who says aliens built the pyramids, and then saying he believes all of it because you shouldn't rely on facts to choose what you believe.

i dont see any other way to interpret that.

all im saying is that its all so illogical and the way he asserts it is like hes saying 'yeah i know i have no real reason but i believe all this stuff because it's entertaining', it calls the whole thing into question. especially considering who were talking about here. that's just how i'm looking at it and your interpretation of what he's saying and when and where he's being honest may be the correct one.

you think Bush told us the truth about 9/11? I wouldn't actually say at this point that he did 9/11 or anything like that, but it's very implausible that the attacks could have taken place without inside help. The other stuff is more of the folklore variety.

it's pretty wild to me that so many people rightfully think Bush was a pathological liar and a criminal (allowed torture, illegal wiretapping, outing secret CIA agents for revenge) but for some reason tend to give him the benefit of the doubt about 9/11. In time that blind spot will be lifted I think, once all the uninformed assholes stop ridiculing people who think we were lied to about 9/11. In time the truth will win out. The redacted 28 pages of the 9/11 congressional inquiry implicating Saudi Arabia in the attacks is just the tip of the iceberg.

Yeah , I'm saying the official story for 9/11 is blatantly false. Anyone who believes it is a fucking retard.

Archived