IGNORED

Syro period interviews

Boris de Vries

I'm pretty sure when I am asked 'general questions' by a few people independently on the same day I generally answer the same thing repeatedly with little tangents and things but to the point that by the end of the day I wanna give up and sometimes do and just retreat into madness, especially if I am tired and more people try to talk to me than usual.

So if I am tired and thinking about crop circles, pink dolphins, sigils and the price of corn chips then that is what I am gonna waffle on about to anyone that speaks to me until by iteration 12 when I just start talking about pink dolphin time machines with dorito sigils instead of eyes.

• Replies 710
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well we can forgive them somewhat given that all the interviews were conducted at the same period before any journo had any idea what the other had asked, so the desire to ask the same stuff first and most importantly would have been irresistible. That said not doing more research on your subject, digging down a little for some out of leftfield questions, yeah, you're right. But we have an awesome upcoming deluxe report that should polish that need.

This, most of them in a period of three days (though most of them in one day, if I'm correct). It must be said that some or most interviewers knew about the potential trouble of interviewing Richard, so instead of a Q&A type of interview it leaned more towards a normal conversation, hence Richard bringing up a lot of the same stuff. Imho.

That Noyzelab one should be quite different in approach -> result so they should really deliver with that one :) same with Groove mag, since they went with a typical Q&A asked by 'producers' like Skrillex.

Well we can forgive them somewhat given that all the interviews were conducted at the same period before any journo had any idea what the other had asked, so the desire to ask the same stuff first and most importantly would have been irresistible. That said not doing more research on your subject, digging down a little for some out of leftfield questions, yeah, you're right. But we have an awesome upcoming deluxe report that should polish that need.

If you owned a magazine and were given the chance of interviewing Richard D. James for his big come back album, wouldn't you be thinking: hum, there will be at least 15, maybe 20 or even 30 new interviews at once and they're all going to be asking him the same questions more or less, so we better do our research and make a very original interview with questions that will surprise him if we are to stand out?

Some quotes from the French interview:

There is an underlying contradiction here: I don't necessarily want to be more famous, but at the same time, I accept to be meeting you and to show myself in more mainstream places. You either need courage or be crazy to accept that. With that said, to want to become famous, you need to be disturbed anyway. And I probably am a little…

I haven't changed anything from what I normally do, my ideas are not more commercial than before… I wanted to release this new album simply to preserve the tracks that are on it, to make sure that they exist outside of my home. I also wanted my fans to have something new to listen to.
I've been very surprised by the Kickstarter thing. It had nothing to do with me, I would have been unable to organize such a thing. I felt bad when I saw all the money involved because to me, those are only old songs from old cassette tapes.
I love noise music. I find it very helpful for meditation, especially on low volume in the morning. What's so amazing about this music is precisely what most people hate about it. That's what I like: the fact that others don't like it.

Some more quotes from the french interview:

About the voices on the album:
They are the voices of my family, my father, my mother, my kids, my wife… In fact I have recorded a lot of my parents. I put those in my music but I make sure all the time that they're not very understandable. So that everyone can project whatever they want into it, so that everyone understand what they want to understand. In music and art in general, I essentially love the things that are not explicit. I like it when it's not understandable. I hate that clearly provocative side to pop music.
About nostalgia:
I have that feeling about everything, about the things that are gone, that have disappeared… One of the most beautiful things with music is that you can play with time. To record music is like creating a time machine. It allows you to get out of the normal perceptions of time to create your own temporality.

That's it, those were Rihard's answers. :) The written text by the journalist, as you can imagine, is not worth your time hehe.

• 3 weeks later...

I lose track, has anyone mentioned the Noyzelab interview since part 1 went live? It was mentioned on Analogue Heaven a few days ago... Anyway, it's extremely informative. I don't think any of us knew he used to sell DX patches he'd made!

I lose track, has anyone mentioned the Noyzelab interview since part 1 went live? It was mentioned on Analogue Heaven a few days ago... Anyway, it's extremely informative. I don't think any of us knew he used to sell DX patches he'd made!

Ah, I just found the separate thread, nice.

Ah, I just found the separate thread, nice.

as it indeed needs it's own thread! was wondering when you'd pop in as I knew you'd find this interview extremely interesting!

• 1 month later...

So, did no one on here pick up on that Groove Magazine interview?

They decided to throw it online the full thing online:

http://www.groove.de/2014/12/25/25-questions-for-aphex-twin

Some amazingly stupid questions from stupid producers, but at least they result in great answers :) adding this to the OP!

Awesome find Herr Jan. Thanks for posting! Answers seem strangely sensible too, except for maybe the Coldplay one haha.

Also got a little hyped after reading this...

Chris Cunningham – who did the video – should answer that question. But it’s him who’s playing the guy in the wheelchair. I would like to work with him again, but he lives in Los Angeles now. I’ve talked to him several times, so there might be something happening.

nice find herr jan!

“Yeah, I always felt a presence or something, I don’t know what it is, maybe it’s just a human conditon, but it always feels like the gods are looking on us and are like: ‘Ah, let’s make him do this’. And it’s really weird, because the other day I got stoned and went to bed, and I had the biggest intense feeling of someone watching over me.”

lol 420 blaze it!

So, did no one on here pick up on that Groove Magazine interview?

They decided to throw it online the full thing online:

http://www.groove.de/2014/12/25/25-questions-for-aphex-twin

Some amazingly stupid questions from stupid producers, but at least they result in great answers :) adding this to the OP!

thanks for posting that!

I actually quite enjoyed the stupid questions tbh :lol:

Yeah, that was a pretty good interview. Cool idea to have a couple of artists ask some questions. Although I don't understand they left out Tiesto.

Next time try to get the entire WARP roster together to interview each other.

lol coming soon, RDJ music software suite PTY LTD .. in regards to that software that independently evolves sound based on prior user input relating their favoured choices probably cross pollinates as well as the randomizing. There's quite a few things that use this principle now, don't think that i've heard of one for sounds though and if he get a few of the other ideas going that's why my suggestion of a suite. Then again, that would require too much time away from writing and too many other voices to package it etc, so i'm only saying it in jest of course, not demanding the thing. Be cool if he released this particular sonic evolution app though by itself, sell it for a buck through the usual channels for mobile and PC, pay back the dev costs in a couple of weeks. (chinese programmer) Maybe have a rephlex green interface, with some flathead screws in each corner of the window as a cheesy nod to hardware. ;-p

Archived