IGNORED

Richard D James SoundCloud - A Gift To The Fans

Guest crowndicey

so today i was in the mood to start another piano transcription and decided to give 28 organ a shot....

im only through the first 50 seconds of this track and im completely in love again. the best thing about making those covers is that i have to listen to each bar dozens and dozens of times, which - obviously - makes me recognize so many details i haven't seen before. it's hard for me to put in words, especially since i lack the professional vocabulary, but the way he carves out all the different directions and aspects of that first melody with slight changes every time he repeats this motive already completely blew my mind.

I don't want to go into too much detail, but here's a small example: the synth in the background that comes in at 00:37 seconds changes the whole harmonic context of the melody ( i hope thats understandable :P). By the way, this is something RDJ does quite often: use the same melody and bring it into a different harmonic context by subtle changes in the background every time. The drums also have a different function with every repetition as well. I feel the same way about MSM/SMM, until the middle part you can't really decide in which key the melody is performed because the background constantly changes. sometimes its b flat, sometimes a, sometimes major, sometimes minor. I hope I'm not having a brainfart about this and that some of you guys hear the same :D

so today i was in the mood to start another piano transcription and decided to give 28 organ a shot....

im only through the first 50 seconds of this track and im completely in love again. the best thing about making those covers is that i have to listen to each bar dozens and dozens of times, which - obviously - makes me recognize so many details i haven't seen before. it's hard for me to put in words, especially since i lack the professional vocabulary, but the way he carves out all the different directions and aspects of that first melody with slight changes every time he repeats this motive already completely blew my mind.

I don't want to go into too much detail, but here's a small example: the synth in the background that comes in at 00:37 seconds changes the whole harmonic context of the melody ( i hope thats understandable :P). By the way, this is something RDJ does quite often: use the same melody and bring it into a different harmonic context by subtle changes in the background every time. The drums also have a different function with every repetition as well. I feel the same way about MSM/SMM, until the middle part you can't really decide in which key the melody is performed because the background constantly changes. sometimes its b flat, sometimes a, sometimes major, sometimes minor. I hope I'm not having a brainfart about this and that some of you guys hear the same :D

Wait till you get to 1:26 - 1:40, absolutely stunning interweaving melodies, the track is full of them. I tried to work that bit out last week but failed miserably, hope you can do it and share it with the rest of us. If anyone still hasn't got Zolt's (Reddit MIDI guy) go at the song, he's put some sections down perfectly, you can find it here: http://www.midm-database.co.uk/sc.html, but I am sure that Scarb0s attempt will blow it out of the water, you sure did an amazing job with Ziggomatic. On that matter, can I request a cheeky Cock/Ver10? Around 1:20 on that track it's just beauty without words. :)

haha, thx... i can share what i have tomorrow. I can do the melodic part of cock/ver, sure :) I love that part as well. it's also a lot easier to just figure out the melodies without having to make it playable on piano, so it should not be that big of a deal. gonna give it a try as soon as im procrastinating again, so probably pretty soon.

haha, thx... i can share what i have tomorrow. I can do the melodic part of cock/ver, sure :) I love that part as well. it's also a lot easier to just figure out the melodies without having to make it playable on piano, so it should not be that big of a deal. gonna give it a try as soon as im procrastinating again, so probably pretty soon.

Can't wait that long, sorry! xD

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/24438426/MIDI%20FILES/Drukqs/cockver10.mid

Think that's all right, I went a bit overboard with doubling up octaves for added effect, but it's pretty much the best 8 bars squashed into 4, take of it what you will. If you want to make it longer, or work out more of the instruments that I'm sure are there, that would be awesome. Still am left speechless by this utterly simple beauty and emotion before me, would take me days to think of something that is a hundredth as effective, and never as simply brilliant. Rich, more so Drukqs, is one of a kind.

Edited by slate

been listening to 28 organ epic a lot in the passed week or so, 2:07 and on is so emotional

every once in a while i'll rediscover an old tune from the sc dump that i've forgotten about and it's almost like listening for the first time, thanks again richard :wub:

Guest bitroast

i would love a proper album with stuff the likes of shroomdot and nqz chaos

omg me too.

i wonder what the tracklist was ( if there ever was one) for that ~2000 modular album.

If anyone is interested, here is almost all of organ 28 in a single MIDI file:

https://mega.nz/#!31FEzI4b!JatD8jyFfqtphWJPHB2J3lXTKafb2qZ3rtMCCLxnfoU

I went back through the Ableton project for my organ 28 cover, took all the bits I had transcribed, and placed them in a MIDI clip as closely as I could to how they're arranged in the original track. So the entire track is there, but there are some empty spots that still need transcribing. Section D1 was transcribed by someone on Reddit, I forget who...was posted in earlier in this thread. There are a few large empty sections that I haven't had the time or willpower to learn and transcribe, but much of it is there. The whole thing is 256 measures long.

And then I went full OCD and gave it my best lazy-undergrad-musical-analysis. Harmonically, I think it's undoubtedly one of RDJ's most intricate tracks. Not even considering the free-jazz-robot-voice section, it goes through at least THREE major key changes (Bb, to Ab, to E major, to B minor)...and the Bb major sections are often on the verge of modulating to G minor.

Cheers!

Notes:
The red colored text are the sections I did NOT transcribe in the MIDI. I just left empty space.
Yellow text I are only partially transcribed (some major instruments left out).
Also I didn't bother transcribing the acid bass in Section A or percussion throughout.
Measure numbers refer to the MIDI while time stamps refer to that corresponding spot in the original track.

[sECTION A (Bb major)]
m. 01 - 66 ~0:00

[bREAKDOWN]
m. 67-74 ~1:53

[bRIDGE 1 (Bb major)]
m. 75-86 ~2:05 (no percussion)

[sECTION B1 (Bb major)]
m. 87-126 ~2:31 (percussion re-enters at m. 95)
[sECTION B2 (Ab major)]
m. 127-158 ~3:36 (direct modulation to Ab)

[bRIDGE 2]
m. 159-166 ~4:31

[sECTION C]
m. 167-171 ~4:45: (pre robot-voice progression)
m. 172-191 ~4:53: (Nobukazu Takemura-esque blubbering robot voice)

[sECTION D1 (E major)]
m. 191-223 ~5:29
[sECTION D2 (B minor)]
m. 224-255 ~6:23

Edited by Skeletron

If anyone is interested, here is almost all of organ 28 in a single MIDI file:

https://mega.nz/#!31FEzI4b!JatD8jyFfqtphWJPHB2J3lXTKafb2qZ3rtMCCLxnfoU

Really nice job, you nailed it! I saw it was a little slow compared to the original track so I sped it up to the original BPM, do I have permission to host it on my MIDI repository? Full credit to you of course, just provide me a link to one of your accounts on the interwebs and I'll be on my way. :biggrin:

139BPM: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/24438426/MIDI%20FILES/Soundcloud/28%20organ/organ28%5Bwatmm-skeletron%5D.mid

Cool, thanks! I've never exported a MIDI file from Ableton so I wasn't sure if the tempo was saved and whatnot. Sure feel free to put it in your repository. Do whatever you want with it! http://soundcloud.com/traxus12

Chris: I was thinking Lost Treasure from Recursion EP and Lost Treasure (4th Version) from 10th. Actually, this is more text-to-speech spoken word, while in organ 28 it's more like a synth patch imitating a human vowel shape. Not as similar as I remembered. :)

Edited by Skeletron

i just finished a first version of the 1st part until the break, not sure if i'm gonna leave it like that tho.

i don't think i can play it at the original speed on piano either, but we'll see.

i uploaded it on soundcloud but reaper ofc doesn't emphasize the different voices in the right way, so it doesn't sound that great.

https://soundcloud.com/martins-piano/28-organ-piano-cover-1st-part

EDIT: how do you properly embedd those soundcloud links?? :p

organfirsttry - Partitur.pdf

Edited by Scarb0

the xmas / bradleys echoes connection got me thinking - is there, like, a list of similarities like this (sc tracks being connected to his released works) floating around? or is it jus that one thing (aside from the demos, that is)

Dunno if I'm getting your question right here but that docsheet (see jejunum's post) has quite nice side notes section where are plenty of notes about those similarities. Here are few from the top of my mind, alas quite obvious and somewhat subtle ones

afx origTheme and Spectrum -> UT1-Dot

P-string -> Quoth(s)

Original Chaos Riff-> Cuckoo

beginning of Mooow -> Phloam (ok, this is quite IMO)

bob Morgan'n Robocop samples -> Green calx

this is exactly what i meant, thanks. the docsheet is great but also very annoying with all the sideways scrolling (prolly why i missed the footnotes in the first palce).