IGNORED

How does the World view America these days?

Rubin Farr

$5 is some bum shit.

Yeah unless they got $12 sammiches that is a weak fuckin' tip. I have friends who tip like 10-15% and they embarrass me so I never want to eat out with them. The ones that tip 20%, 30% and up (depending how drunk they are) are way more fun to hang out with and I guarantee get service that smug blowhard would never imagine.

If I was a waiter and some cunt tried this $5 trick on me, I would spend the least amount of time on their table knowing the most I would get is $5. Might as well say "fuck it" and give them the kind of service that ensures they never come back at all. 

Surprised no one is talking about the 3D printed guns thing going into effect. It's already sort of been happening for a while of course, but I'm looking forward to see the discussion of it being in the news, if any of that takes. Loved the Trump tweet about it.

oregon joined the lawsuit

http://www.wweek.com/news/courts/2018/07/30/oregon-joins-lawsuit-against-trump-administration-to-keep-instructions-for-making-3-d-printed-guns-off-the-internet/

Oregon Joins Lawsuit Against the Trump Administration to Keep Instructions for Making 3-D Printed Guns Off the Internet

“These 3D-gun tutorials create an immediate public safety crisis," says Oregon Attorney General Ellen Rosenblum.

^yeah as stated it has been temporarily halted, but like I mentioned, this has all been going on for a couple years, most or all of the actual files are already out there if you want to dig in the right corners from what I've read. Some bits I read yesterday mentioned that there's already been a bit of fringe gun making going on for decades, doing essentially the same thing without 3D printing...but still making guns untraceable. I knew about some portion of this, some gun owners trying to make their purchased guns untraceable and such through various means, but didn't realize the extent to which it had been taken. The 3D printing thing is just the next step, obviously...but the twist with the anarchy and first amendment rights perspective on it seems like it would be a little more nationally interesting than it's been thus far. Guess it's a pretty complicated topic to cover in the media climate as it is right now.

$5 is some bum shit.

Yeah unless they got $12 sammiches that is a weak fuckin' tip. I have friends who tip like 10-15% and they embarrass me so I never want to eat out with them. The ones that tip 20%, 30% and up (depending how drunk they are) are way more fun to hang out with and I guarantee get service that smug blowhard would never imagine.

30% and up? Good lord. Say hi to mr. & mrs. moneysuckle for me

Full disclaimer: I'm broke. I work in the service industry. :cisfor:

Probably not, but whoever served it is probably struggling more than the server who serves wine and lobster each shift.  So if I'm going to tip one of them that much, it should be the pie/coffee server.

Edited by Zephyr_Nova

Probably not, but whoever served it is probably struggling more than the server who serves wine and lobster each shift.  So if I'm going to tip one of them that much, it should be the pie/coffee server.

Fair point yeah.

But I think the point of the % is that a lot more goes into preparing a fine meal than pouring a cup of coffee. 

I don't tip based on the personal welfare of the person providing the service (as that's generally none of my business and might even be offensive, no?), I tip based on the quality of the service/meal/experience etc. So I'm kind of conflicted there. =/

Edited by Bulk VanderHooj

I don't tip based on the personal welfare of the person providing the service (as that's generally none of my business and might even be offensive, no?), I tip based on the quality of the service/meal/experience etc. So I'm kind of conflicted there. =/

Heheh well I wouldn't explain to the server "hey, you seem like you're probably poor and struggling which is the reason I am leaving you a decent tip"... so they probably wouldn't be offended by it.  But that's not really the reason I do it anyway.  It just seems more fair.  I base it on the quality of the service as well to some extent.  Though if the service is terrible I'll still tip within reason because hey, people have bad days.

This is now the official Tipping thread. 

Take your Americas elsewhere.

it's actually a very much american topic, and us is the major reason this disgusting practice of tipping actually continues to exist. it's a noxious combination of non-existent labor laws and probably some kind of throwback to slavery days which turns service workers into temporary serfs who have to go out of their way to please instead of workers with defined roles, rights and protections, and whose salary will mostly depend on the whims of their temporary master. i actually avoid some useful services like grocery deliveries just to stay away from this whole tipping ordeal, it's that repulsive.

Eugene's not wrong.  Servers should just be paid well enough that tipping isn't necessary.  Then it's actual means something when they do get tipped.  But tipping is so engrained into western culture now that it's prob here to stay and wages in those industries will continue to be kind of meh.  And just look at the insufferable shitheads this culture has produced (seen in Nebraska's vid above at the bottom of the previous page).  Direct causal link!! 

Edited by Zephyr_Nova