IGNORED

elseq 1-5

auxien

stopped viewing after hearing how he pronounced "autechre". my god. even fandingo got that right.

me too, i mean srsly what is an Audeger ? sounds like an recording software

Audatechre.

"Veteran IDM duo" ffs

dafuq is that leek and who does he think he is to feel the need to damp the webs with his frivolous opinions gilded with some endlessly ruminated info as "review"? i mean srsly what is it with kids nowadays having to publicize every fucking poop that crosses their minds online?! and others even upvoting it?! ... i feel like a grumpy asshole poking fun at the little guy but he's asking for it so very much :(... but i digress... so he listened to the thing ONCE in one sitting and then went on to inform the world of his impressions? i'm just lost here :/.

I just watched that review.

This obsession with them having 'melody' (as in a super narrow definition of that word) and writing off tracks because there is no 'melody' and only liking tracks where there is 'melody' is really strange. Why must music have such a component? Would you criticise certain kinds of traditional rhythmic African music or gamelan or whatever for not having that component?

I think the the first volume is a masterpiece from

beginning to end. Feed1 is a totally fiercely enthralling ride from beginning to end. It's so wonderfully intense. Same with the track that follows. How would these benefit with some overt top-line melodies following conventional harmonies? They wouldn't at all. They're not about that are they? - but they're totally invigorate nonetheless and are full of musical interest and sonic events that give just as generously (if not more generously to my ears) than any conventional melody or 'musical notes' would.

Same with the rest of the volumes, whether conventional structures are referenced or not. This is a wonderful release. And he wasn't too critical, so that's nice. It's silly I am spending time discussing that review ...

I don't know, I know this music isn't for everyone, I obviously get that, but this thing of choosing to only like tracks that happen to have some notes that go 'do-doo-doo' in a more conventional way and this constant complaint of 'no melody' thing is really weird. There's so much excitement in the textures and the musical organisations of sounds in this release (and all their newer releases) that's it's arbitrary to me whether a track has a 'straighter' melody or not.

PS - I know Feed1 has some 'tunes' that pop in on that growling synth sound. They are beautifully metallic and sound almaot like crazy improv jazz stuff.

Edited by Lianne

I just watched that review.

This obsession with them having 'melody' (as in a super narrow definition of that word) and writing off tracks because there is no 'melody' and only liking tracks where there is 'melody' is really strange. Why must music have such a component? Would you criticise certain kinds of traditional rhythmic African music or gamelan or whatever for not having that component?

I think the the first volume is a masterpiece from

beginning to end. Feed1 is a totally fiercely enthralling ride from beginning to end. It's so wonderfully intense. Same with the track that follows. How would these benefit with some overt top-line melodies following conventional harmonies? They wouldn't at all. They're not about that are they? - but they're totally invigorate nonetheless and are full of musical interest and sonic events that give just as generously (if not more generously to my ears) than any conventional melody or 'musical notes' would.

Same with the rest of the volumes, whether conventional structures are referenced or not. This is a wonderful release. And he wasn't too critical, so that's nice. It's silly I am spending time discussing that review ...

I don't know, I know this music isn't for everyone, I obviously get that, but this thing of choosing to only like tracks that happen to have some notes that go 'do-doo-doo' in a more conventional way and this constant complaint of 'no melody' thing is really weird. There's so much excitement in the textures and the musical organisations of sounds in this release (and all their newer releases) that's it's arbitrary to me whether a track has a 'straighter' melody or not.

PS - I know Feed1 has some 'tunes' that pop in on that growling synth sound. They are beautifully metallic and sound almaot like crazy improv jazz stuff.

Agreed. I don't understand the melody-seekers either. I like Autechre precisely because I can't get their "structure" anywhere else. What they do with music is beyond next level. I can't find anything synonymous with it in the entire Western canon. Most everything else feels so predictable, formulaic and boring. ABABCB. i iv v. I like how they demolish any and every preconceived idea of what "it" should be or what's coming next. Lol @ the do-doo-doo

dafuq is that leek and who does he think he is to feel the need to damp the webs with his frivolous opinions gilded with some endlessly ruminated info as "review"? i mean srsly what is it with kids nowadays having to publicize every fucking poop that crosses their minds online?! and others even upvoting it?! ... i feel like a grumpy asshole poking fun at the little guy but he's asking for it so very much :(... but i digress... so he listened to the thing ONCE in one sitting and then went on to inform the world of his impressions? i'm just lost here :/.

You come off as if you are just upset that he said something you disagree with, so you say he should never express his opinions online. That sounds pretty bad. Conflicting opinions lead to truth. It's fine if you disagree with him, but if you do, you should maybe actually explain why you do and on what points like the posts beneath you did.

Is your issue with the fact that he released a review after only having listened to it once? I guess that's somewhat valid, but the fact that these are just first impressions don't make his opinions worthless.

Finally purchased the album, Christ. refunded me my money since nobody wanted Curio Pt 2 apparently :cry: (Hopefully that can get going again soon) Gonna be a long night boys!

Edited by Trilobot

this relesase is beyod fantastic but i miss tracks like altibzz, sublimit, yjy ux and see on see. i got something of it in foldfree casual tho

You come off as if you are just upset that he said something you disagree with, so you say he should never express his opinions online. That sounds pretty bad. Conflicting opinions lead to truth. It's fine if you disagree with him, but if you do, you should maybe actually explain why you do and on what points like the posts beneath you did.

Is your issue with the fact that he released a review after only having listened to it once? I guess that's somewhat valid, but the fact that these are just first impressions don't make his opinions worthless.

yeah sorry i know it's a free world, i just don't get why just because you are free to express yourself you always should, especially in such a format if everything you have to say comes down to "yeh so i like melody, this track has some, next less so, hoo boy it's a long ass release". such impressions and analyses are rather easily attained yourself just by listening to some dang snippets and reading release notes. i just don't understand the narcissistic reflexes behind this "so yeah i made some completely trivial observations let's upload shit on the tubes". whatever. while i do feel his opinions are completely worthless it's not like i'm commenting on his video to hurt his feelings. goodspeed to him and you alike.

(of course i agree about your conflicting opinions point, but tbh that's not what my criticism was about at all)

Aye opinions are opinions but when he says "Their music has absolutely no emotion involved whatsoever and more often than I'd like they don't even bother to include melodies" and blaming his dislike for 'LP5' on the bus (?!) you can't help but cringe a little !

haven't watched that video but watmm collectively complaining about it makes me cringe a little

k i do feel kinda bad now :I ... but fascistic "trve"-fanboiism and the fact the guy is still a kid aside: watch it. it is a bad review, in form and content. (imo.)

this relesase is beyod fantastic but i miss tracks like altibzz, sublimit, yjy ux and see on see.

das because they're on different records, durr!

this relesase is beyod fantastic but i miss tracks like altibzz, sublimit, yjy ux and see on see.

wat you mean?

I couldn't finish it it because his pretentious gestures, pronunciation of Autechre, and focus on the more obvious or google-able aspects of this album and the band added up to an insult to his audience, and I felt actively compelled not to continue watching.

haven't watched that video but watmm collectively complaining about it makes me cringe a little

* has flashback of ae live track-naming*

*shudders*

would you mind explaining why those (admittedly somewhat arbitrarily) made up referencing systems rub you in a way of being so pathetic? as i see it it was just a little game to get away from abstruse time specifications "41.45 min so cool", but whatevs.

wat you mean?

nothing rly, sry.

i, and everybody i know irl, say automatic-technology-horus-replicator

:wink:

only when i speak in english i say o(aw)-tec-r

Edited by xox

an incomplete thought: melody is an expedient to effect emotion in a listener, kinda like the plot in a movie, right? so melody doesn't seem to be absolutely necessary for a piece of music to be effective, at least not the kind of tacked-down, immediately obvious melody that seems to be missing from much of elseq 1-5, as long as the music can be compelling in some other way (in rhythm, atmosphere, etc). there's glimmers of melody in each track, to be sure (latter half of 13x0 step as a prime example of what I mean here), but it's very elusive, kind of slipping in and out, and perhaps not the central focus.

Basically I want to say it's disingenuous to consider autechre's latest output "lacking melody", but on the other hand, I feel the need to qualify what I'm talking about in reference to the melody in an autechre track in a way that I don't with more traditional music, or even other electronic music. I feel like I'm using the word differently, which gives it a different meaning.

it doesn't really matter in the end, because I like autechre so i listen to them, but there's a reason

@jaderpansen: hard to put my finger on it. sometimes something just makes Alco cringe. that was such a something

aye, fair enough. anyway, "this is supposed to be a happy thread, let's not bicker and argue about who embarrassed who".

i think it's safe to say by now that this release henceforth completes my "no1 ae" list to a holy trinity (lp5,draft, elseq). impeccable.