IGNORED

The Caretaker - Everywhere At The End Of Time

triachus

he’s currently having some kind of issues with others illegally uploading his tunes to Spotify/etc. and trying to get Spotify to remove them but that’s not working. since Tweeter embeds are still borked, click through and read and check the comments/etc for further info if curious. i’m not into his music really but this sorta shit is the opposite of how things should work.

Edited by auxien
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3

12 minutes ago, auxien said:

he’s currently having some kind of issues with others illegally uploading his tunes to Spotify/etc. and trying to get Spotify to remove them but that’s not working. since Tweeter embeds are still borked, click through and read and check the comments/etc for further info if curious. i’m not into his music really but this sorta shit is the opposite of how things should work.

Does he have a label to help him?

it doesn’t seem like it from the little i’ve read, but could be mistaken. i think he’s tried the whack-a-mole option of just reporting each when it gets uploaded, but once it gets taken down someone else is uploading things again (again, could be mistaken but i think that’s what’s happening). 

i’d assume these are bad actors uploading his stuff knowing it’s popular, siphoning the money from plays for it for a few days or weeks until it gets removed, then uploading again with a new account.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I've seen this happen a few times now with quite a few artists I know over the past year or 2. There is practically zero oversight on these digital streaming platforms. Anyone can just make a Distrokid account and upload stuff onto an artists page, claim the royalties (however small they might be) with zero consequences for doing so. It's shit for James because he's not on Spotify to begin with, and you have to effectively opt-in to opt-out, which is another matter in itself. The other option is DMCA, which means giving up personal information to Spotify, which I would assume is the last thing he wants to do.

It's a well known album at this point, so I'm sure with enough fuss on Twitter, it'll get the attention of Spotify and be pulled. But it'll happen again I'm sure, so it's a never-ending game of whack a mole.

James has made his opinion on Spotify quite clear (and more importantly, actually stuck to his ideals and kept his music off there) which I respect 100%. But considering the album is on Youtube in its entirety (which pays even less and are arguably worse when it comes to looking after artists and creators) and has been utterly butchered by zoomer kids on tik-tok for the last 12 months, it might just be worth uploading it himself and giving whatever it earns on there to a dementia charity or something. Either way, this shit needs to change cos it's getting worse, not better.

Edited by brisk
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, brisk said:

But considering the album is on Youtube in its entirety (which pays even less and are arguably worse when it comes to looking after artists and creators) and has been utterly butchered by zoomer kids on tik-tok for the last 12 months, it might just be worth uploading it himself and giving whatever it earns on there to a dementia charity or something. Either way, this shit needs to change cos it's getting worse, not better.

I genuinely don’t understand why some albums are uploaded officially to YouTube but not Spotify. Like Skee Mask Pool is another example.

.., and now after watching that, I'm listening to it all again.

The "iceberg" reviewer annoys be because he refers to stages 4-6 as harsh noise; where it is far from that.

Sequences are jumbled; there are multiple layers; there is fog and confusion through droning elements; but I would hardly describe it as harsh noise.

Edited by Soloman Tump
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
7 hours ago, MIXL2 said:

saw this.. he did say he was done with the caretaker so I wonder what this falls under..

I was thinking of it as a Leyland Kirby track but is more caretaker sounding tbh..is beautiful either way hope this sign there will be more on they way from him soon

Overrated Paul stretch sound drained in reverb with vinyl noise on top 
I kind of get where you're coming from but I challenge you to literally do that and come up with something that's as good as his album tracks. I think there's likely an awful lot more going on and it's all modulated.

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

On 3/6/2022 at 4:23 PM, Polytrix said:

I kind of get where you're coming from but I challenge you to literally do that and come up with something that's as good as his album tracks. I think there's likely an awful lot more going on and it's all modulated.

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

There was that interview with him (IIRC over darts at the pub) where they discussed the perception that what he does is easy, since on the surface :dadjoke: it appears reducible to a straightforward process of "take 78 rpm ballroom sample" then do x, do y, etc...  and he basically said the same thing, that if the critics/haters think so, they're welcome to try it themselves.  I'm miles from the biggest Caretaker enthusiast here but I can appreciate the depth in his work.  (for contrast I tend to think disintegration loops is overlauded poseur wank) 

• Burger 1

True, plus if you do actually care about that stuff the guy does have chops.. his epic Sadly the future is no longer what it was album I belive was actually him on piano & think most of stuff under leyland kirby alias  isn't sample based 

His a legend whatever though...I mean you could argue this was easy to make but it's still fucking genius 

Edit :Also listening to this for 1st time in a little while and just realised.. did this mother fucker vaporwave 10 years before its time!?

Edited by kirm
  • Like 2