IGNORED

the watmm GAS thread

modey

do what I'm probably actually going to do and grab a 0-coast or Korg Odyssey module (probably the 0-coast becasue it's smaller, more likely to be hard to get down the road, and I already have a couple modest east coast style synths).

Too much (relatively) inexpensive, good gear out there these days.

I want that 0-coast too! I don't know what it is... I've kind of ignored the Eurorack kind of thing for this long (only CV thing I've had is a Microbrute), but something about that thing just seems so tasty to me. Yeah, so much good gear now, still fending off lust for a Minilogue, MS-20 mini, Nord Drum, Space... 

Sold my Nord Lead to buy a Tetra.

Got the Tetra.

The very next day i wanted a second one for polychaining.

Im selling my x0xb0x to buy it.

When im gonna get it im probaby gonna want another one for 12 voices polyphony.

Tetra are awesome.

I also lusted for a split 8 this afternoon on ebay.But im too poor for it.

Thank God i dont have a credit card.I would be ruined in a month.

Just sold my Tetra after 7 years or so. It's a powerful synth. Your recent tunes using it are sounding nice.

How's of the Tetra? I don't know much about DSI; never owned any, but always held a little flame for the Evolver... I've pored over the manuals and watched every video on YouTube and it's one of those synths I've always kind of wanted, but there's always just been something else I wanted a little bit more for some reason. it's the kind of synth (like the Shruthi-1) you can tell was just designed by one fuckin' genius nerd.

How's of the Tetra? I don't know much about DSI; never owned any, but always held a little flame for the Evolver... I've pored over the manuals and watched every video on YouTube and it's one of those synths I've always kind of wanted, but there's always just been something else I wanted a little bit more for some reason. it's the kind of synth (like the Shruthi-1) you can tell was just designed by one fuckin' genius nerd.

It's amazing! I had tears in my eyes when i first tried it!

It's basically a multi timbral demi-prophet 8 with sub oscillators! Massive and powerful sound,quite aggressive!Love it!

I have to get the paid editor to get most of it.

I only have the free and its limited in some aspect(in the multi timbral editing especially)

I should learn to program it with hand and knobs too.

If i can get another one its gonna 8 voices+subs.

Gonna be crazy!!!

You have to get at least one DSI.The sound is massive!!!

Edited by fxbip

you should get a tempest. the interface/workflow is amazing, and it has 4 osc/2lfo/8modmatrix per voice(6) and you can get them for almost half what i paid for mine because people are pussies and wont stick with it.

It's amazing! I had tears in my eyes when i first tried it!

It's basically a multi timbral demi-prophet 8 with sub oscillators! Massive and powerful sound,quite aggressive!Love it!

I have to get the paid editor to get most of it.

I only have the free and its limited in some aspect(in the multi timbral editing especially)

I should learn to program it with hand and knobs too.

If i can get another one its gonna 8 voices+subs.

Gonna be crazy!!!

You have to get at least one DSI.The sound is massive!!!

Ah awesome :D Yeah there seems to be something really meaty about their oscillators, can't put my finger on it exactly but it seems to reach out at you, really nice stuff. I'll probably indulge that lust one of these days... the Evolver seems nerdy in the right ways and it's got, yeah, that big sound. Multitimbral would be cool but I have other toys so that's not a huge priority... I would rather just have more nerdy stuff to curl up with and explore ;)

In other news, the volca FM has made me notice how much sounds beautiful monophonic but becomes cheesy and gross with even a couple notes of polyphony.

Guest bitroast

Oh man, I'm only just starting to nail my credit card debt, after 8 years of constant use and unsuccessful attempts to pay it off. I did the zero interest balance transfer on to another card earlier this year and should have it paid off in 6 months or so.. can't wait to have that extra $200 per month or so.. to spend on gear :P

edit: speaking of record collecting, I've swapped that addiction with gear collecting. I can't remember the last record I bought..

i need to / want to sell all my records and exchange it for more gear

yeah I'm getting to that point as well.. finally sold the warp20 box set the other day! I won't likely get rid of any warp idm stuff or my prog collection, but I have a lot of records that I just don't listen to anymore

Guest bitroast

one part of my brain says SELL THE LOT. another part of my brain says "it probably wouldnt be worth it unless you sell the lot, and there's things you're not going to want to sell, so you may as well not bother". it's tricky. need to evaluate. 

I think actually the stupidist thing I'm having a hard time wraping my brain around with the octatrack is adding fills. Besides setting the cross fader to adjust the pb start sample, and the freeze delay on master, I haven't figured out an easy way to add subtle drum variation. I really wish the OT had the same brains as the A4 and AR.

Ahh, I didn't realize you had the A4 and AR, yeah, those are newer machines so I imagine there are some features on 'em that you'll have to Think Different to be able to emulate.

As far as fills, well, the aforementioned one-shot trigs will do some of that for you. But the scenes (controlled by thecrossfader) may also help. You might also look into some LFO tricks if you are just looking for general variation and not necessarily something you have fine-grained control over. The OT has plenty of LFO tricks up its sleeve - the ability to draw your own LFOs (can you do that on the Analogs) is fucking huge and I often overlook it. 

Even not owning the A4 and the AR I can tell you that the OT has its own tricks up its sleeve. Just by itself the ability to sample not only on the fly, but as part of a sequence, and in a very intricate and precise way, is fucking HUGE. But that's the nerdy shit and, frankly, you gotta walk before you can run....

I don't have both the A4 and AR I've just had the unfortunate (for my wallet) chance to play with them.

One shot trigs is exactly what I was looking for, cheers to that!

But holy fuck... I can use them to record too?

Oh man, I'm only just starting to nail my credit card debt, after 8 years of constant use and unsuccessful attempts to pay it off. I did the zero interest balance transfer on to another card earlier this year and should have it paid off in 6 months or so.. can't wait to have that extra $200 per month or so.. to spend on gear :P

edit: speaking of record collecting, I've swapped that addiction with gear collecting. I can't remember the last record I bought..

Yeah, I buy maybe 4 or 5 a year these days, this year I got a couple Legowelt reissues, an early Neuronium album (which is basically a first-generation polysynth demo) and the Twin Peaks OST reissue and that's it.

PArt of that's because I did audio postproduction and editing professionally for about a year around 2012/13 and ever since then listening to ANYTHING has felt like a bit of a chore, it kind of sucks.  It's nowhere near as bad as it was (I basically stopped making listening to music entirely while I was doing it, and didn't listen to much for about a year after) but some of the joy of listening for the sake of listening never came back, it still feels kind of like work.

Edited by RSP

• 2 weeks later...

The best stuff I made was with a mopho, a record player and an ancient computer with audacity. Then with no computer, an alesis MMT-8/HR-16, Mopho and a junk mixer with some WET reverb. built in. When I started to splurge on some nice stuff (DSI Pro2, Gotharman LD2, Tr-606, DX7IIfd, Yamaha CS-50) I had a lot of fun but my tracks were less composed and thought out. Satisfying my GAS was fun but I must say I prefer a limited setup. 

Guest Chesney

There is some truth in that. It's nice to have options though. It's harder to focus when you have options but when you sort your head out it's no different once you dig in.

GAS ha been severely reduced because I got a beater Juno 6 for Christmas (well, it was more a "choose any synth we can afford because you know them better than me," "oh wow, there just happens to be a good deal on a Juno right now even though they're usually out of the budget" situation)!  It's still in shipping and will need a bit of work (that I can do myself) but it really quenched the gear thirst, I'm already putting together a mental list of stuff I don't really need anymore and can eBay.

The crazy thing is I found a good enough price (for 2016, still seems really high for a Juno but whatever, it's a lot less than they usually go for and would be a deal in far worse condition) that even after restoring it and buying the Juno 66 mod kit (which looks incredible - full MIDI implementation, sequencer, second ADSR, chord memory, unison mode, voice detune, etc. etc.) it will still be about $100 less than a Behringer Deepmind, so yeah.  Pretty good.  Just needs a couple button caps, a fader and a switch, and now that people seem to have figured out the Juno voice chip issue (and it turns out to be something I could easily fix at home for free) it really is a low risk buy.

Edited by RSP

I think actually the stupidist thing I'm having a hard time wraping my brain around with the octatrack is adding fills. Besides setting the cross fader to adjust the pb start sample, and the freeze delay on master, I haven't figured out an easy way to add subtle drum variation. I really wish the OT had the same brains as the A4 and AR.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean, but here is an example of some break chopping stuff I was doing on the OT (I'm still sort of at the experimental stages of things)

For the sort of drum roll sounds (well, besides what I naturally am getting out of the break samples), I make heavy use of retrigger and slide triggers. Slide triggers are SUPER useful, and you can get all kinds of crazy effects. It basically takes any parameter locks  between the first trigger and the next (which can be a silent trigger if you want) and it morphs between them. I like using pitch, length, retrigger time, etc.

Actually in this track I use retrigger time with slide triggers on the snare drum and I start messing with it more and more in further iterations of the pattern: 

EDIT: Also if you want to do ghost hits, you can use retrigger or, use the next trigger over and while you are holding the trigger you can use the left-right arrows to adjust timing offset to the left so that it hits immediately after(whatever you want really), adding a p-lock in will let you change the volume/pitch/filter/slice/len/whatever a little bit on the second hit. This offset is also how to accomplish triplets without changing the grid. (similar to using a tracker with delaying a certain number of ticks to accomplish triplets).

EDIT2: another trick I found is that the time stretch single drum hits kind of sucks so sometimes you can get a little ghost-hit/fill effect if you crank it up.

Edited by Bubba69

Just bought a Quadraverb Plus on Amazon because:

- I had some Christmas gift cards there

- I've always wanted a huge, lush hardware reverb/delay

- the Plus has sampling (though quite short) and everything can be MIDI controlled

- pitch shift is supposedly pretty interesting too

- chicks dig reverb I think

- GAS, obviously

Edited by auxien

I managed to get hold of a somewhat dodgy condition SY22 for $50 yesterday. It had 5 or so sunken keys, and the line outs don't work (headphone out is fine though). Took it apart, cleaned all of the keys, broke 6 more keys in the process, but managed to put them all back together using staples as the hooks for the springy metal parts. It was a pain, but every key works fine now. A few of them are chipped though (mostly on the underside but the high A has a fair sized chunk taken out of it), so I think I may actually look into casting some of my own. That way I can make a whole set of custom coloured keys :D

Left line out still doesn't work, but it's probably an easy fix. Pretty good though, considering I was actually thinking of paying $250 for one :P

Edited by modey

Nice, I love the sound of those things.I'm done buying gear (other than parts to finish a few things I'm building) for the forseeable future but an SY22/TG33 would definitely be high on the list.  Something kind of haunting about every sound I've heard from one.