IGNORED

All About iPhones

jules

Yeah I've got an 8 coming tomorrow. The "(PRODUCT)RED" edition because I'm a goth. Hopefully the bluetooth actually works properly lol

I went with the red too. It actually looks rlly sharp.

Id get it too (maybe) but im afraid that the aluminium sides could be easily scratched. I guess the sides are painted...right?

Yeah I've got an 8 coming tomorrow. The "(PRODUCT)RED" edition because I'm a goth. Hopefully the bluetooth actually works properly lol

I went with the red too. It actually looks rlly sharp.

Id get it too (maybe) but im afraid that the aluminium sides could be easily scratched. I guess the sides are painted...right?

Mine are, yes. The don't know how to describe the finish other than comparing it to a high gloss piano black, but a nice deep red? is nice.

Phone has a nice weight to it as well. 

I don't think the red colour would get scratched off, if that's what you mean. The "space grey" hasn't worn off my SE so I'm guessing it's the aluminium itself that is coloured. Also the back is glass on the 8 so that'll probably get scratched as fuck. Maybe I'll chuck a clear case on mine or something.

I know the sides are red, but are they painted, as in with a layer of red paint over a grey aluminium?

Edit: yes. Thatz what i meant

Edited by xox

I know Apple have made some very shitty design decisions lately but I doubt they'd do something that shitty. I guess time will tell!

I don't think the red colour would get scratched off, if that's what you mean. The "space grey" hasn't worn off my SE so I'm guessing it's the aluminium itself that is coloured. Also the back is glass on the 8 so that'll probably get scratched as fuck. Maybe I'll chuck a clear case on mine or something.

For the back you have something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Protector-Protection-RhinoShield-Dispersion-Technology/dp/B075YHBCSY

ah yeah good point. It'll be a bit weird having a phone without a case! I've had one on every phone I've owned since the 4 iphone.

Itd br shame to cover that beauty imo

You need front and back hard glass protector and this bumper (i believe they have it in red), same company:

https://rhinoshield.io/pages/crashguard

Edit: https://rhinoshield.io/pages/tempered-glass-screen-protector

Edited by xox

iPhones are anodised, and yes - anodising can chip off, depending on a few factors. Poor anodising can be s contributor, but I would assume Apple’s anodising is top quality …right?

The latest rumours are that the new batch of iPhones this fall will come in multiple colours, similar to the 5C (but hopefully not plastic housing) - colours are supposedly a yellowish orange, blue, and red (not PRODUCT).

In other news, my original Apple watch's battery puffed causing the face to pop open - Apple is fixing it for free. Say what you will about Apple, but they do stand behind their products.

The latest rumours are that the new batch of iPhones this fall will come in multiple colours, similar to the 5C (but hopefully not plastic housing) - colours are supposedly a yellowish orange, blue, and red (not PRODUCT).

In other news, my original Apple watch's battery puffed causing the face to pop open - Apple is fixing it for free. Say what you will about Apple, but they do stand behind their products.

Except when it takes YEARS of complaints about keyboard issues before they admit to a problem and then implement the fix only in the new model.

But yeah. They stand behind their products, deffo.

The latest rumours are that the new batch of iPhones this fall will come in multiple colours

Woah, how do Apple keep making these wild innovations ?!

Unless it's an iMac Pro :lol:

Dunno if you bought your case yet or not but caudabe makes some good ones. Minimalist like:

https://www.caudabe.com/collections/iphone-8-accessories

I've always gone with the otter box defender. It's bulky but I use my phone a lot at work in the plant so max defense = good. 

I've never had one fail on me other than the part where the home button is eventually coming apart/peeling after a solid 3-4 years.

These caudabe ones look just as if not better though so I'm kinda bummed I didn't see this post before a few days ago. =(

Edited by Bulk VanderHooj

Kind of different - the otter box ones are great for more demanding workplace environments, or if you're out camping/hiking what have you.

I work in an office, and try not to use my phone as much as possible during outdoor activities - so for me the caudabe ones really fit the bill, especially of not adding bulk (I know you're ok with more bluky though mr vanderhooj) and good price point.

this is the most untrue thing ever. a friend of mine has a wildy successful business with the model of promising to fix any problem apple say is unfixable. he claims to have a success rate above 95 percent. 

he owns his own 4 man plane to go hanggliding with. thats how well he's doing fixing gear that apple refuse to, so you buy more shit off them. 

lol 

I probably made the right choice then. My workplace is full of acidic liquid, dirt and grime etc. >.<

chances for becoming the joker = 97,4%

this is the most untrue thing ever. a friend of mine has a wildy successful business with the model of promising to fix any problem apple say is unfixable. he claims to have a success rate above 95 percent. 

he owns his own 4 man plane to go hanggliding with. thats how well he's doing fixing gear that apple refuse to, so you buy more shit off them. 

There's a vast difference between "unfixable" and fixing something due to a defect in the hardware. I was more pleased that Apple was willing to fix a 2+ year old watch well out of warranty for free - they could have easily charged me for the labour, the battery, etc.

Case in point - I had something similar happen on my 2011 MacBook Pro - the battery swelled because I never unplugged it from the charger and it sat for years, not allowing the battery to discharge appropriately. They were willing to replace the battery, for around 80 USD, or dispose of the bad battery and I could use the laptop battery-free by having it on mains power constantly (this was in 2016 when I brought it in, a full 5 years after purchasing it). They never said they couldn't (or wouldn't) fix it.

Another scenario - my wife's iPhone X (bought this past January) had a flickering screen issue - brought it in 3ish months after buying it, and they replaced the screen for free. Another time, my daughter's iPhone 5C was dropped, corner of screen cracked and Apple replaced the screen for free.

I had an 2006 iMac that the logic board went bad on it after 6+ years (kept rebooting when it got too warm) - here in Texas there is a weird "vintage" law that prevents servicing of electronics older than 5 years from date of manufacture, and Apple did refuse to fix it due to that - but that's not Apple's fault, and they even referred me to a third-party that could fix it if I wanted that wasn't subject to the vintage law.

lol 

I probably made the right choice then. My workplace is full of acidic liquid, dirt and grime etc. >.<

chances for becoming the joker = 97,4%

lol

Edited by auxien

Except when it takes YEARS of complaints about keyboard issues before they admit to a problem and then implement the fix only in the new model.

Yeah - not saying their track record is perfect, but remember these are the exception, not the rule. The media inflates these things far more than they tend to be as well.

And, Apple is fixing the old models - the permanent fix is in the new model, which makes sense (don't know how they are fixing the old models, but they are).