IGNORED

All About iPhones

jules

So, doing this experiment: I’m kind of taking a break from using the normal computer, which means there’s no programming (my usual source of income & creativity outlet).

My previously most used computer was the iPad (YouTube & twitters), but that’s now lying around out of battery as well..

It’s because this fkn phone is seriously damn good - the 4S before it was uselessly slow, and it pleases and surprises me that you can absolutely do a lot of your daily stuff just with a decent phone.

Like, I applied for & took a job just using the phone, for which I need only this phone & my bike. Ok it’s a low level food courier job, but it was just super easy to get, there’s probably potential to get something more serious/better-paid with some research...

also, I’ve started using health & nutrition tracking (toblesterone levels meng) & have been living a rather healthy life the last 3 weeks - usually I feel fkn depressed, both physically & mentally unhealthy during winter... not this year.

also, should I feel a programmer itch that needs to be scratched I can just do stuff on my Ubuntu server.

DBz51yb.png

not really practical rn, but add in a Bluetooth keyboard & a hdmi dongle.. boom.

Is this phone worth the price of admission? For me, yes absolutely.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=kknkpcmH4N4

edit: it’s fkn impossible to embed that Arpanet youtub thing tho

Edited by Guest

$1000 phone so you can....

SSH into a remote server, and buy more accessories so you can actually type productively?

Worth price of admission? Sorry but that's some serious Apple kool-aid there...

yea I know you can ssh using a potato, I also wrote “for me” - this is a very good phone tho overall, the camera is excellent, the screen is even better, Face ID is ace, it’s really fast...

eg with that bike courier job - I need the phone all day, battery lasts even with GPS tracking enabled & streaming music all the time...

Edited by Guest

I am overjoyed with my iPhone X - I never realized how intrusive and awkward a physical home button is - Apple should have ditched it a long time ago. I find swiping up totally intuitive, and the various gestures were easy to learn quickly.

The screen is gorgeous, and the responsiveness (of course, it's a brand new phone and I am coming from an ageing iPhone 6 Plus) is incredible for productivity - I can bang out emails, respond to texts, and multitask like never before.

Like @phling said, Face ID is amazing - so easy to just look at the screen to unlock apps (now Apple just needs to make a toggle for the "swipe to unlock" so it can go straight to the home screen).

Apple Pay is a bit awkward - you have to double-click the power button on the side, and then look at the phone - I find myself awkwardly tilting the phone to look at it while holding it near the payment sensor. Might just be a adjustment period, but I found the Touch ID for Apple Pay easier since you're already holding the phone near the payment sensor to begin with.

welp the newest ios update just bricked my fucking iphone se. it won't hold a charge anymore and is slow as shit to do anything. thanks apple!

will get a pixel 2 instead of using these shit phones anymore. between this and high sierra basically making my macbook pro unuseable i'm done with this company.

Edited by zaphod

how long since the update? iOS seems to do a lot background setup/sync stuff when it’s updated.

the SE should still run fine tbh, it’s the 6S chip isn’t it?

if it’s still slow AF after a while, probably reset it

welp the newest ios update just bricked my fucking iphone se. it won't hold a charge anymore and is slow as shit to do anything. thanks apple!

will get a pixel 2 instead of using these shit phones anymore. between this and high sierra basically making my macbook pro unuseable i'm done with this company.

https://www.avclub.com/its-not-just-you-apple-really-is-intentionally-slowing-1821486992

So, there’s the good news: ... you get your aging smartphone back up to its old speeds with a quick battery replacement trip to the Apple Store

Are iPhone users really such zealots that this is considered 'good news' ?

Screen_Shot_2017_12_28_at_8.39.29_AM.png

After years of legal battles, a pair of brothers — Vincenzo and Giacomo Barbato — have successfully managed to win a legal battle against Apple, earning the right to call their company “Steve Jobs,” after Apple’s iconic founder, according to la Repubblica Napoli.

The fight began back in in 2012, when the two brothers noticed that Apple had never trademarked Jobs’ name. The pair were already in the process of starting their own clothing and accessory company, after spending years creating products for other brands, and decided that “Steve Jobs” would be the perfect name for their new brand.

https://www.theverge.com/tldr/2017/12/28/16825336/apple-lawsuit-steve-jobs-trademark-logo-italian-brothers-barbato

Edited by Nebraska

getting my pink SE today. yay

hey lopez, i'm looking at the se as well, buying refurbished. right now i have the 5s and the battery is not very good.

i like the small size ( it fits my current otter box) 

also , i like that the battery is replaceable.

just not sure about apple slowing down their phones. i don't care that it's not too fast though, battery is more important

should i buy it? 

Edited by yek

getting my pink SE today. yay

hey lopez, i'm looking at the se as well, buying refurbished. right now i have the 5s and the battery is not very good.

i like the small size ( it fits my current otter box)

also , i like that the battery is replaceable.

just not sure about apple slowing down their phones. i don't care that it's not too fast though, battery is more important

should i buy it?

i’ve had my se for ages and i haven’t noticed a difference