• Replies 689
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 4/3/2024 at 12:59 AM, Wunderbar said:

is art just hot people doing stuff?

no but it doesn't hurt to have hot actors, but the other way around ... lol 

This movie is hilarious i especially loved Javier Bardem, his character started feeling like it could of been a character in the life of brian.

it felt like after 30 min of the movie 99% of his lines started to consist of :

"Like it was written""

"prophecy"

"lisan-al-gaib"

Especially the "like it was written" exclamation started feeling like it was some sort of meta humor and instead of referring to the in world prophecy it started to refer to the move script itself.

Also the way he delivered the lines with such honest surprise just started feeling like Javier was shocked that what was written in the script was actually happening in the movie.

I also couldn't stop laughing at the way Dave Bautista  kept screaming all his lines, like in the plane on their way to the fremen hideout where they got ambushed.

Thimothee's lines just kept being stoically whispered or shouted ???

and the soundtrack was boring.

desert looked beautiful thought.

• Haha 3

On 4/8/2024 at 9:20 AM, Wunderbar said:

also couldn't stop laughing at the way Dave Bautista  kept screaming all his lines, like in the plane on their way to the fremen hideout where they got ambushed.

My first thought was about the people the harkonnens kill for no reason. Or for “talking back”. I was thinking “man, is it their first day as a Harkonnen?”  Seems like after 10 minutes you’d know how shit works and could avoid getting slashed or stabbed by telling them what they want to hear.  His screaming did get a little much at times. He seemed rather emotional in general. 
the Javier lines were pretty funny at times. A few other characters say similar but his surprise at times was a bit over. I thought the script did a decent job at showing how people are eager to believe  and others not so much. 

• Like 1

^the screaming from Bautista & one-note aspect of character from Bardem there seemed like some characterization/story/etc. was left out via editing…all that played into my thinking there’s gotta be a more full & fleshed out director’s cut on the way at some point.

some characters just get sidelined a touch in these big epic stories…i believe that happened even in the book/s (as good as those are). not an excuse but nonetheless not too surprising.

1 hour ago, ignatius said:

My first thought was about the people the harkonnens kill for no reason. Or for “talking back”. I was thinking “man, is it their first day as a Harkonnen?”  Seems like after 10 minutes you’d know how shit works and could avoid getting slashed or stabbed by telling them what they want to hear.  His screaming did get a little much at times. He seemed rather emotional in general. 
the Javier lines were pretty funny at times. A few other characters say similar but his surprise at times was a bit over. I thought the script did a decent job at showing how people are eager to believe  and others not so much. 

It’s a perverse planet! It seems to me that cannibalism and extreme sadomasochism is part of their culture

• Like 1

1 hour ago, auxien said:

there’s gotta be a more full & fleshed out director’s cut on the way at some point.

Sadly, Denis has stated many times in interviews that deleted scenes will NEVER be seen 😔

• Sad 2

“Dune: Part Two” is barreling to streaming. The epic sci-fi sequel, starring Timothée Chalamet and Zendaya, will become available to rent and purchase on digital starting Apr. 16, and will release on 4K UHD, Blu-ray and DVD on May 14."

Marvellous!! 👍

9 hours ago, xox said:

It’s a perverse planet! It seems to me that cannibalism and extreme sadomasochism is part of their culture

yeah.. definitely.. which is why it seems weird that random subordinates aren't on the same page and talk back to raban and shit. it's obvious to everyone they're going to get slashed/stabbed/neck broken or whatever. the randos who get killed for "fun" seems more normal part of life.. like the 'heart plugs' in the lynch version. i haven't read the books so no idea where the line is w/that stuff.  

anyway.. it's in this thread somewhere.. the quote from Herbert about wanting to show that any messianic figure should come with a warning label.. the movie brings that vibe.  [eric cartman voice] "shit is gonna go down!" 

i liked the movie even w/the complaints etc. it's an interesting story to tell and did make me want to read the books some day just to see what's what. 

btw dune 2 hit the torrents a few days ago. 

Edited by ignatius
  • Like 4

It's already been a month since I've seen Pt 2. I don't think I have much to add that hasn't already been said. But it definitely felt like things were heating up at this point in the Dune saga.

I particularly liked the opening scene where the Harkonnen troops were patrolling the sands of Arrakis and they were getting picked off by Fremen snipers, followed by Chani taking out one of their thopters with Paul's assistance. And the fate of Vlad Harkonnen right after the arrival of the Emperor...I don't wanna spoil it outright, but I found it darkly amusing.

Still gotta read the 650+ page Dune book I got for my birthday last year. I probably wouldn't have gotten the interest I have in it now, were it not for Denis Villeneuve.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, ambermonk said:

And the fate of Vlad Harkonnen right after the arrival of the Emperor...I don't wanna spoil it outright, but I found it darkly amusing

👌

I enjoyed the film, like the first part of the saga this is a must see in a theater w/ full dolby atmos. Much respect to Villeneuve for the hard work, also all the actors got their role pretty well. The photography is fantastic and varied and Hans Zimmer well, he does his job.

Is hard to see a movie like this nowadays mainly due to our beloved CGI, this is why it should be used to improve and not to replace all scenes. But seems since 2010's that superheroes/monsters/animated franchise spreading shitty and soulless outputs is not helping tho. I prefer a Blizzard videogame intro rather than that.

btw Dennis is a skilled master sci-fi director, I'm grateful to know that cinema is not dead yet.

Edited by Diurn

edit: obvious spoiler if you haven't seen any kind of Dune.

Edited by ignatius
  • Haha 3

more spoilers. thoughtful analysis of things and the layers built in to the direction. it's a bit cynical at times but thoughtful

Edited by ignatius