I’m sure it’s been discussed somewhere, I just can’t find it...

There are obvious similarities between parts in at least two tracks on Chaos A.D. Buzz Caner and I Care Because You Do:

Chaos A.D. ‘Friend Track’ contains the same drum loop as ‘Cow Cud is a Twin’ - seems the track name would be the obvious clue here

Chaos A.D. ‘Dreaded Pestilence’ uses a nearly identical sound (harsh feedback resonant filter lfo fart) to ‘Ventolin’ - I have never heard this sound anywhere else.

Does anyone have details, ie did anyone ever confirm/admit that RDJ contributed on Buzz Caner and/or borrowed material from it for ICBYD or vice versa?

Makes sense as they lived together for some time.

This should really be a larger thread like: sounds that rich and his friends have pinched from each other.

Still feel like there’s a connection between Jodey Kendrick’s sample in Data Sync off of EDM A2 and the woman in Produk 29.

Also, was listening today to Trackermatte, Rolando Simmons other project I think?, and heard a familiar sample in This track:

https://trackermatte.bandcamp.com/track/prime-me-buttercup

Could have sworn I heard that sample of what sounds like a kid is somewhere on Syro. s959tx16w maybe?

Could hint at a larger collaborative process shared by rephlex artists and other mates.

• 3 weeks later...

I remember hearing that in the early rephlex days they had a shared collection of samples? Cylobian Sunset credits RDJ for a string sample. And there's a Cylob song that contains exactly the same distinctive unique percussive sample as an AFX track, but I can't recall either of their names.

anyone fancy a sausage roll?

Never heard that RDJ lived with TJ - somehow i doubt it!

it's true

Wasn't there a third that lived with them? I can't recall who.

It was a madhouse.

anyone fancy a sausage roll?

Never heard that RDJ lived with TJ - somehow i doubt it!

it's true

Wasn't there a third that lived with them? I can't recall who.

It was a madhouse.

Yeah, that was Cylob. If I recall correctly, they each had their own floor in a three storey terrace and could often hear each other producing music through the floors. It sounds like I'm just making this up, but I'm sure I read an interview about it.

• 2 months later...

Was listening to my library on shuffle and couldn't get my mind what Ventolin era song from sc dump I was listening (that's until the acid line comes in). Turned out to be this as it has some phlange phuqery in it too:

Just reminded me of Phlangebeat and Phuqed up and remembered this thread. Most possibly not related in any way whatsoever.

• 4 weeks later...

Maybe I’m nuts but I was listening to this again today and thought I heard something familiar in Thin Life. There’s a heavily modulated voice that comes in right before the 303 hits and continues in and out throughout the rest of the track that has a similar cadence to the Night Mail sample.  

• 2 months later...

Not sure when Tom was supposed to live with the Rephlex crew, but here's an interview at his place in '96. Right after Feed me... while he was working on Hard Normal Daddy. Doesn't look like the other guys are around though. Could be me. I'm sure they would have mentioned it if it was the same place AFX was living.

If you haven't seen it, be sure to check it out. ;D

Archived