IGNORED

Warp30 box set announced

thumbass

10 hours ago, beer badger said:

RA reviews can be a bit iffy but this one of the boxset is almost is twisting my arm (which I guess is mission accomplished by the journalist) .

At the very least its made me realize I've been a bit negative and grumpy towards this boxset, I also think the artwork is tip-top, which also almost everybody on here seems to hate. 

I promise to revaluate my attitude towards this endeavour! Pronto. 

https://www.residentadvisor.net/reviews/24415

Yeah, I got mine yesterday, and I love it. I've been pretty quiet about it because it seems that it's easy to hate on the visuals and the selections, but I love almost all of these artists and the shows they've included, and I'm looking forward to hearing it all some snow weekend soon. 

The prints included and the textures on the box itself are pretty cool, too. I'm very pleased with the whole thing, and it looks really nice on my self between the Ae NTS set and my Warp20 set. Love ya, Warp. Thanks for the cool tangible artifacts! 

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, thumbass said:

I know right?! It's fucking annoying to see the same people who wanted an hd version of xyz whine about the fact that it doesn't have the brothers and peels voices in it. It's not part of the song so it wouldn't make sense for them to include it.

assuming you guys are quoting me, as i mentioned enjoying the radio rip bookended by the interview.  but i was never one of the fanboys "begging for a release" of the track..  so youre being bothered by a nonexistant contradiction.  also its not whining to merely state my preference.  they can release and you can listen to whichever version you want

3 hours ago, markedone said:

assuming you guys are quoting me, as i mentioned enjoying the radio rip bookended by the interview.  but i was never one of the fanboys "begging for a release" of the track..  so youre being bothered by a nonexistant contradiction.  also its not whining to merely state my preference.  they can release and you can listen to whichever version you want

I wasn't talking about you specifically so sorry if that seemed like it, I was also talking about the many comments on the yt upload of xyz

3 hours ago, beer badger said:

All is cool.

I hope so

Damn I love the artwork on the boxset but it's way overpriced for the content it offers imho. Will probably buy a T-Shirt so I can rock this WXAXRXP logo everywhere tho !

On 11/14/2019 at 5:39 PM, mcbpete said:

I totally wasn't going to pick this box set up but having just read the description in the email I've just got from Warp I clicked 'buy' immediately:

A hinged lid box ?! This changes everything - box sets have just been handed a new set of parameters !

Lol..I'm still on the fence, does anyone know if the sleeves are Italian Cardboard?

I did not expect the Plaid session to grow on me after finding all of it underwhelming months back. BoC is still my favorite Peel Session but Plaid was close. Flying Lotus and Aphex Twin also kicked ass. Seefeel and LFO’s were enjoyable and everyone else was a 6/10 for me lmao

Still deciding whether to get this or not. Feel like I might regret it later but finding it hard to justify £120 (plus the design which I don’t like at all). The content just isn’t as appealing as the Warp20 box was. 

1 hour ago, BUNKUM said:

Still deciding whether to get this or not. Feel like I might regret it later but finding it hard to justify £120 (plus the design which I don’t like at all). The content just isn’t as appealing as the Warp20 box was. 

Just get the 12''es or digitals you really need and spend the rest on things that spark joy. It's what I did, and no regrets so far. There is a lot of filler in that box IMO.

2be.jpg

22 hours ago, oscillik said:

It's trying to ape classic tDR stuff from the late 90s, except it doesn't quite get it right.

It's like the design world equivalent of Arial vs Helvetica.

That's a really good way of describing the design aesthetic of this branding campaign.

I wonder why they didn't get tDR to do their 30th? Did they want a change, or was there more behind it?

56 minutes ago, Joyrex said:

That's a really good way of describing the design aesthetic of this branding campaign.

I wonder why they didn't get tDR to do their 30th? Did they want a change, or was there more behind it?

I think this anniversary has been seriously flubbed (from a design perspective, at least).

With Warp20 they had another design studio do the stuff (YES Studio) and I'm guessing this was partly precipitated by The Designers Republic being in hibernation mode after, by what Ian Anderson himself had to say about it all, Warp themselves kinda screwing him over.

Anyway, it also kind of made sense to have another design studio take the design responsibilities for the 2nd decade of Warp celebrations, because no matter what we all think about classic Warp, those days are gone and a new design aesthetic breathes new (or at least different) life into a visual identity. This was cemented by the subtle but distinct addition of an enclosing circle around the Warp logo…many forget that was a canonical change to the logo, and not just something they did for the Warp20 festivities.

So this time around, for the 3rd decade celebration we have…a design language and aesthetic that calls back to the late 90s Warp period. Am I the only one that sees this design decision as a step backwards? I mean, I'll be the first to admit that I'm a tDR fanboy and love pretty much all the design stuff they've been associated with…but this isn't tDR for starters, but most importantly — what happened to pushing forward with the new? 

It's really cool that people are digging the stuff that's been released so far for the 30th anniversary, and I honestly don't intend my words to sully anyone's enjoyment of it. I just was hoping for something with a bit more effort. I wasn't lucky enough to have been into Warp Records for the Warp10 stuff, but it seemed like that was a big deal. Warp20 was definitely a big fucking deal, and I will always remember that night in Sheffield. Has there even been an "all-star" gig event for Warp30? I guess you could call the NTS takeover such a thing, but meh…

I'm not drunk.

Archived