IGNORED

Do You Work From Home?

Joyrex

Working From Home - The New Normal?  

119 members have voted

1. 1. Do you work from home now because of COVID-19?

• Yes
    • No
    • I already worked from home (e.g., self-employed, nature of work, etc.
    • What's work?

28 minutes ago, darreichungsform said:

Teaching IDM at MIT

No, thats' @Nil

I teach boring, boring* software engineering. Stuff like this: https://gist.github.com/lolzballs/2152bc0f31ee0286b722

(*) While it takes a lot of the fun out of programming, I've seen - and produced - enough horrible code back when I worked for other people's money to understand why this sort of over engineering is necessary. Students, of course, don't. To them having to think things through before writing a single line of code is an abomination.

• Like 3

Been wfh for almost 6 years now, so this whole mandatory lockdown thing isn't a massive change for me. Prolly the biggest change is having the rest of my family home with me at all times now.   

No. I go to a building and use weird manufacturing equipment to make drugs. I make stuff for society, so I gotta keep makin that stuff amirite? Even if there's a big supply of a drug, we make it. Relentlessly. (help me)

But hey it's a job that's always there and working in a hospital would drive me insane. They are the true warriors of our time. 

Yeah, been slogging away from home for five years now, so nothing much has changed except that wifey and kiddo are hanging out at the house (which, come to think of it, is quite a substatial change). Proudly presenting my workspace for bonus points.

20200327_092153.jpg

• Like 8

1 hour ago, rhmilo said:

No, thats' @Nil

Ah, I wish it was at MIT ! 

13 hours ago, rhmilo said:

I teach.

It was fun for the first week, for both me and the students. Never seen 'em work so hard in my life.

Now the novelty's worn off. They're not as involved anymore and I'm growing sick of having to stare at a screen the entire work day. The reason I started teaching was to move away from that.

My experience as well. Exhausting too, right ? Glad my boss has decided to stop these virtual classes though.

1 hour ago, IDEM said:

Yeah, been slogging away from home for five years now, so nothing much has changed except that wifey and kiddo are hanging out at the house (which, come to think of it, is quite a substatial change). Proudly presenting my workspace for bonus points.

20200327_092153.jpg

Nice set up ! How are these Genelec monitors ? I hate the 8040A we have at school, though I bet these more recent puppies can shine.

Is that a SPL headphone amp ? I'm using the one form my SPL Crimson mk1, it makes the Audeze LCD-1 sing ? I'd love to give a Phonitor a try though, even if Goodhertz CanOpener 3 does a great job with virtual crossfeed & all.

Edited by Nil
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Nil said:

My experience as well. Exhausting too, right ? Glad my boss has decided to stop these virtual classes though.

Yeah, that too, although it might just be the boredom and the fact that you're never truly in the moment for anything - not with your attention on the students and not on whatever else it is you're doing. Plus I like to teach in a sort of dialogue with the class and online that is pretty much impossible.

Lucky you that your boss has decided to stop them. For us it's going to continue until July. And soon, to make matters worse, we're going to have online graduation assessments as well - when someone's future is going to depend on how well you can keep your attention on your screen. Oh boy ...

10 hours ago, IDEM said:

20200327_092153.jpg

That's a lovely skylight 

10 hours ago, Nil said:

Ah, I wish it was at MIT ! 

Nice set up ! How are these Genelec monitors ? I hate the 8040A we have at school, though I bet these more recent puppies can shine.

Is that a SPL headphone amp ? I'm using the one form my SPL Crimson mk1, it makes the Audeze LCD-1 sing ? I'd love to give a Phonitor a try though, even if Goodhertz CanOpener 3 does a great job with virtual crossfeed & all.

Thanks, and I love my little Genelecs! I wanted some near-field monitors to take the (extremely untreated) room out of the equation as much as possible. Did a lot of research, and after a couple of months it was down to either these, a pair of KH 120's and some Geithains, but in the end I went with these babies and have no regrets whatsoever. I might have gone with Amphion, but since they don't have any active speakers on offer (yet), that was out of the question, unfortunately. The Genelecs are quite revealing, but not to a fault, and I find them excellent for electronic music. I only ever owned passive stereo speakers before, and I was afraid professional monitors might be too dry for me, but that's not the case at all. I love their honesty and have gotten used to their "unsounded" sound. I might add a subwoofer at some point, but for the time being, I'm quite alright.

My headphone amp/preamp is a Violectric V281. I have ogled the SPL Phonitor, but got a really sweet deal for the Violectric, and it's a great amp, very, very powerful, and their stuff is really well-made in general. DAC is a Chord Hugo, but that might get swapped next.

Edited by IDEM

yes, software developer, the virus makes me work from home, meetings online are exhausting ... strange days, but hey i still have a job and i'm healthy so ...

ate freak out GIF

I would if I could but my job running someone else’s 2nd hand shop requires physical presence. Stayed at home for 2 weeks last month when I suspected I was ill. Have been back at it for about a week and a half. I’m now using an app offered by a local hospital where you send in some info every day like temp, if you have a cough and how frequent and  a couple of other things, this info is checked by humans and you are contacted if any action is needed. 

I notice I’m really worn out when I finish now, a typical day is about 10 to 11 hours of which 8 are spent dealing with customers of which a sizeable portion need constant reminding that they need to keep distance and that they need to use a basket (they’re used to keep count of how many people are inside the shop) and a lot of people seem to take it as a personal insult when I take a step back when they get too close. Then there’s a smaller portion that roll their eyes at all these ridiculous measures or they start sharing their views on how all of this is probably some great conspiracy. I tell them it’s irrelevant for now and they need to follow some simple rules if they want to stay. At the same time I have to disinfect baskets, dispense handgel, keep the shop tidy, try to test/demonstrate random electrical devices that I’ve never seen before, haggle and discuss the price of stacks of clothing/kitchen/records/utensils/some weird antique statue, sort through boxes and boxes of books, clothes, kitchen stuff, all kinds of curiosa, hifi equipment and any other items that people bring in, sometimes carloads at a time and decide what goes on sale straight away, needs to be discarded or be put aside for taxation, repair or cleaning. There’s no lunch break or anything because I’m on my own for at least half the day so when I want to eat something I wash my hands vigorously for the 10th time that day and try to remember to eat with my right hand and handle money and items with the left. 

I like my job but this added layer of much needed caution is exhausting. 
Sorry for the long rant. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Candiru said:

Do you work from home naked?

Not yet, but the weather is getting better, so who knows. Maybe later this week.

19 hours ago, user said:

I would if I could but my job running someone else’s 2nd hand shop requires physical presence. Stayed at home for 2 weeks last month when I suspected I was ill. Have been back at it for about a week and a half. I’m now using an app offered by a local hospital where you send in some info every day like temp, if you have a cough and how frequent and  a couple of other things, this info is checked by humans and you are contacted if any action is needed. 

I notice I’m really worn out when I finish now, a typical day is about 10 to 11 hours of which 8 are spent dealing with customers of which a sizeable portion need constant reminding that they need to keep distance and that they need to use a basket (they’re used to keep count of how many people are inside the shop) and a lot of people seem to take it as a personal insult when I take a step back when they get too close. Then there’s a smaller portion that roll their eyes at all these ridiculous measures or they start sharing their views on how all of this is probably some great conspiracy. I tell them it’s irrelevant for now and they need to follow some simple rules if they want to stay. At the same time I have to disinfect baskets, dispense handgel, keep the shop tidy, try to test/demonstrate random electrical devices that I’ve never seen before, haggle and discuss the price of stacks of clothing/kitchen/records/utensils/some weird antique statue, sort through boxes and boxes of books, clothes, kitchen stuff, all kinds of curiosa, hifi equipment and any other items that people bring in, sometimes carloads at a time and decide what goes on sale straight away, needs to be discarded or be put aside for taxation, repair or cleaning. There’s no lunch break or anything because I’m on my own for at least half the day so when I want to eat something I wash my hands vigorously for the 10th time that day and try to remember to eat with my right hand and handle money and items with the left. 

I like my job but this added layer of much needed caution is exhausting. 
Sorry for the long rant. 

Dang, this is almost exactly the set of duties & work I was going through before our state went into lockdown. It was definitely exhausting. Negligent customers are a major PITA. I was pretty stressed out when dealing with material intake, as there wasn't really a safe way to remove large items from peoples' vehicles without breaking the 6ft rule. I got pretty tough about turning away any material that was visibly unclean, offered people gloves and a bleach solution and told them they were welcome to thoroughly clean their stuff before bringing it to me for an appraisal. That really ticked 'em off.

I'm sorry you're in this situation. May iddum grant the power of the snare rush keep this user safe. :braindance:

Edited by luke viia
  • Like 1

I've been working from home full time and it's been kind of a drag to get used to. I had previously worked from home one day a week at my last job and that felt like a good balance. I've mostly been working in my studio and I get really distracted with music stuff I'd rather be doing.

On 4/6/2020 at 8:43 PM, luke viia said:

Dang, this is almost exactly the set of duties & work I was going through before our state went into lockdown. It was definitely exhausting. Negligent customers are a major PITA. I was pretty stressed out when dealing with material intake, as there wasn't really a safe way to remove large items from peoples' vehicles without breaking the 6ft rule. I got pretty tough about turning away any material that was visibly unclean, offered people gloves and a bleach solution and told them they were welcome to thoroughly clean their stuff before bringing it to me for an appraisal. That really ticked 'em off.

I'm sorry you're in this situation. May iddum grant the power of the snare rush keep this user safe. :braindance:

Thanks, it's really good to hear from someone who's been in the same situation, as shitty as it is.

Yeah, even though I sort of understand it's really not helpful how quite a few people tend to take it personally when you turn down their stuff or even when you take a few steps back when they get to close. It's not everyone obviously but I guess this situation already preselects people that are either slightly careless or clueless so you have to remind them.

I feel like a bit of a cunt still working but I simply have to to be able to pay the rent etc. I had already started looking for another job before this all started but obviously I'm going to be stuck with this one for a while. As stupid as this may sound one upside is that I've noticed that being in a shop like this helps keep my head in check somewhat, most people are doing ok, and it helps me keep touch with reality somewhat and there's also quite a few laughs and joyous moments to be shared and in some cases it's an opportunity to help inform people and realize we're all in this together and it doesn't make much sense to only fend for yourself when trying to slow the spread of a virus like this (for example it made me share my handsanitizer that I grossly overpaid for a lot more freely after I saw a customer offer someone else some and it dawned on me that it's important that everybody has clean hands (duh) and I should get over the fact that I paid like 5,- per 200 ml bottle so I put it on the counter and offer it to people. Still awaiting a delivery of a 5 liter jerrycan of alcohol that is suitable to sanitize hands as well...)

Cheers!

• Like 2

Working from home for years. No big change in that regard, except grocery shopping is now tedious. The biggest change overall is having all these bored relatives want to meet on zoom regularly now "to catch up" and you can't get out of it because you can't just say you're busy or out... ?

I have been for the past 2 weeks now. I occasionally go to my office to transfer files via dropbox if I forgot anything. Its pretty cool working from home again. I usually finish the day's work load by lunch time. The rest of the day is going back and forth with proofs and edits. I'm thinking of starting up my freelance gig again that I did about 6 years ago. But I don't want to overwhelm myself with extra work.

Working from home since the first week of March. I'm fortunate to be able to, that I have a dedicated room in the house to do so, and that I don't have any kids. I'm also fortunate that even though my girlfriend has lost her income for now (partner in a couple of local bars), we have enough space in the house that we can do our own thing and we're not fighting for desk space or conference call air time. One thing that sucks is I had left a job in December that involved me working from home a lot due to having such a small local team, and I was happy to be back in a collaborative office environment. Being on video calls constantly is a huge drag. But back to my first few points, lucky to have my job and the space at home.

Here's my dog Otis standing awkwardly after I tried to get him to pose for the picture. 

IMG_0511.JPG

• Like 2

4 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Working from home since the first week of March. I'm fortunate to be able to, that I have a dedicated room in the house to do so, and that I don't have any kids. I'm also fortunate that even though my girlfriend has lost her income for now (partner in a couple of local bars), we have enough space in the house that we can do our own thing and we're not fighting for desk space or conference call air time. One thing that sucks is I had left a job in December that involved me working from home a lot due to having such a small local team, and I was happy to be back in a collaborative office environment. Being on video calls constantly is a huge drag. But back to my first few points, lucky to have my job and the space at home.

Here's my dog Otis standing awkwardly after I tried to get him to pose for the picture. 

IMG_0511.JPG

You have a very stylish workplace. I like this little patterned table on the right and obviously the dog