IGNORED

Autechre - SIGN 16.10.20

NewSchoolScience

1 minute ago, sidewinder said:

Does it suck now because it's dated, or did it suck in 1993? (I personally like it)

I think the album art for Incunabula has aged better than the music.....

(ducking for cover.....)

Seriously, I don't >hate< Incunabula but it has become my least favorite AE album, in no small part because it hasn't aged as well as the rest.  Amber sounds a much more mature effort to my ears.

12 minutes ago, Blir said:

I love the cover, but I'll answer sidewinder's question anyway. The Incunabula cover sucks.

ye, pretty messy innit.

it's hard for me to rate an artwork without knowing the corresponding music, as it should somewhat carry over the latter's vibe, shouldn't it? honestly in that regard i think draft (front) is pretty off, despite being fancy in its own right.

9 minutes ago, tailings said:

Seriously, I don't >hate< Incunabula but it has become my least favorite AE album, in no small part because it hasn't aged as well as the rest.  Amber sounds a much more mature effort to my ears.

i feel like as far as the mainline albums go, Incunabula and Amber are the only ones that sound in any way dated. Amber sounds like the early 90s, but starting with Tri Repetae it just sounds like Autechre to me

• Like 1

18 hours ago, mushroom said:

i feel like as far as the mainline albums go, Incunabula and Amber are the only ones that sound in any way dated. Amber sounds like the early 90s, but starting with Tri Repetae it just sounds like Autechre to me

I use to work at a Restaurant circa 2018. I would often play incunabula, when ever I did customers would complement the music, and ask who it was. This did not happen with anything else.

Edit, The place catered manly to students , backpackers around 18-40years of age. None of them knew Autechre, but all were affected.  .

Edited by Guest

Just now, ArrraR said:

I use to work at a Restaurant. I would often play incunabula, when ever I did customers would complement the music, and ask who it was. This did not happen with anything else.

lol yeah it's practically pop music. which i think is why i prefer it over amber so much, cuz it's a little cheesy but at least it's catchy and accessible, and sometimes really beautiful (444). Amber is just kind of uninteresting imo...

It's pop music >now<, but it certainly wouldn't have pleased many restaurant patrons in 1993.  

Some tracks have certainly held up better than others.  Eggshell is still wonderful even if simplistic by modern AE standards.  Autriche, on the other hand, sounds like something off a cheesy comp.  And windwind sounds downright newage-y.

17 minutes ago, mushroom said:

(444). Amber is just kind of uninteresting imo...

Was minutes off being 4:44 am (here, Melbourne au) when you posted that?

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, sidewinder said:

is there an Autechre LP or EP cover that you think is worse than the one for SIGN?

The albums range from mediocre to downright bad, I think - except for Chiastic Slide which is top drawer, and Oversteps which almost works but not quite.

Always found it curious that the EPs generally had a much higher standard of presentation

1 hour ago, ArrraR said:

I'm miffed to why Alphonso or Vinnie bamboots don't design their own covers...

some of the art (Draft, EP7, Chiastic? Cichlisuite?) has come from them, but the ultimate design gets handed off to the design pros. 

23 minutes ago, NewSchoolScience said:

People moaning about the Sign album art after the insipidness of Oversteps.

Nawww Oversteps cover is beautiful, reflects the sounds of the album prefectly

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sidewinder said:

I have a question. I don't think it's really been asked or answered here. But with all this dislike for the new cover (and I get that it's not mind-blowing or very unique but I also don't have much against it), is there an Autechre LP or EP cover that you think is worse than the one for SIGN? I've never taken issue with the simple covers for Tri repetae or LP5, for example, but I understand that the absence of a shape can be less offensive than the presence of a shape you dislike. Tri repetae was a nice color and LP5 had a cool solid gray CD case with the Autechre text debossed, so that was unique. But what about elsq? Solid black circles and squares on a solid white background, arranged differently for the different volumes. What about Quaristice.Quadrange.ep.ae? A large gray square centered on solid black. Again, it comes back to "nothing" or something super basic being less offensive than something you actively dislike. But I'm curious...is there anything worse in their catalog?

Cool question, my (wo)man. First of, i'd argue the SIGN cover is still "super basic" but not in a good way this time around. I mean warmy colour is not enough, and the shapes are less wild than elseq, the contour stays the same in all beans, it's pretty strict in fact. 

That said, worse ae covers to me: Tri Repetae, yeah. Anti, Anvil Vapre, Envane, Quadrange, L-event

I really don't appreciate that the new cover uses livesix design which was done way sharper on those posters (and if the album has nothing to do with live stuff it makes it even offensive)

3 hours ago, sidewinder said:

I have a question. I don't think it's really been asked or answered here. But with all this dislike for the new cover (and I get that it's not mind-blowing or very unique but I also don't have much against it), is there an Autechre LP or EP cover that you think is worse than the one for SIGN? I've never taken issue with the simple covers for Tri repetae or LP5, for example, but I understand that the absence of a shape can be less offensive than the presence of a shape you dislike. Tri repetae was a nice color and LP5 had a cool solid gray CD case with the Autechre text debossed, so that was unique. But what about elsq? Solid black circles and squares on a solid white background, arranged differently for the different volumes. What about Quaristice.Quadrange.ep.ae? A large gray square centered on solid black. Again, it comes back to "nothing" or something super basic being less offensive than something you actively dislike. But I'm curious...is there anything worse in their catalog?

I have a strong dislike for the Cichlisuite cover. That's the only one I really can't stand.

• Sad 1