IGNORED

Clark - Sus Dog (new album)

thumbass

2 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Body Riddle (and associated EPs) was when he switched to Clark. The way you worded that made me wonder, was there a legal reason he had to?

I guess I always assumed so?

This thread made me go back through some of his stuff - Empty the Bones is still a 10/10 album for me. The art, the track names, the music box-esque melodies, the beats, everything just all fits so perfectly together.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I sort of liked the first one, but not really feeling the next two really. Can't deny the production is really ace though - super thick and obviously put together with a lot of effort.

I did preorder now I will wait until its released. I am not going to judge track by track anymore. I hope this will have some more A Moon Shaped Pool vibes. 

"Dismissive" is kind of quirky and the best of the three for me, reminds me a bit of Totems Flare's "Rainbow Voodoo". But yeah:

8 hours ago, toaoaoad said:

So is he gonna put out instrumentals or ...?

Am I alone in finding him increasing hard to hear in album descriptions (and interviews)? It seems I'm being critical but am / was genuinely a big fan. Stuff like this though:

Sus Dog is about unknowing, non defensiveness, beginner's mind. Discovery. The idea of being telepathic is seductive but abit dangerous. It’s all contingent, we're animals with minds more like morphIng vapour than anything solid. Constantly becoming/changing. Sus Dog is a dedication to the love of that process. I’ve written a bunch of love songs, ha never thought I'd say that.

It feels strained or something.

2 hours ago, Real Human Bean said:

Maybe he just finds talking to the press a bit awkward?

Also it's not like the press just quote people verbatim, they pretty much always edit and fluff up what's been said.

That's true, but I took this from his own bandcamp description. It seems to be a reoccurring feeling in recent written pieces of his about the albums tbh.

Edited by Lianne

Yeah his last (I think, have lost track!) album, Playground in a Lake, was supposedly 'a story about real climate change, but told in mythological terms' ?!?

@mcbpete and @toaoaoad, I have also tried to temper the negativity. I know people who make music, put a lot into it and don't get much love, so the last thing musicians who spend a lot of time on their material need is comments like mine, haha. But in his case, I've been unable to really get into anything apart from 1 or 2 tracks per release after Totems Flare (which was great ofc), nor shake a kind of "self aware", desperate feeling sometimes in the music, for want of a better expression. Maybe a need to demonstrate he isn't "just" an electronic musician? That he's now making music that will "last"? (according to one interview I read.) In fact, I thought I was totally imagining all that, and maybe I am, but too many comments in interviews and descriptions added to the sense. Playground on a Lake was perhaps the worst example of the music being lackluster and the comments rather grandiose. I also agree with the comment about even good tracks now having some element in them that ruins things. But he's obviously still a very talented guy when it comes to sound and lots of people still evidently love the music. There's much worse music out there that does the rounds, too.

• Like 1

I just realised it's been 14 years since Clark put out an album I truly utterly loved. This is too long to still be upset. I'm not disappointed anymore. These new songs are alright, yeah. But I won't listen to them more than once or maybe twice though. This is mediocrity through and through. There are many other artists pushing out music that excites me still. Bye bye

Edited by Dpek
  • Like 2