IGNORED

How are you listening to new Aphex Twin material for the first time?

Hail Sagan

I’m just curious what importance, if any really, people place on their first listen of brand new Aphex Twin material? Does the sound quality matter? What about the setting?

I’m finding lately that with any musicians that I really like I try to wait until I have a high quality format of the music, some good headphones or speakers, but most importantly I like to be outside in nature on the mountain bike, on a hike, or a road trip, and most preferably somewhere new. 

I’ve definitely done my fair share of just F5ing until the shittiest rip becomes available and relistening multiple times over but kinda regret it. As far as situations I definitely do NOT want to listen to a new song in its 1) being at work and 2) reading over comments about the song on the video/forum. Not trying to fire shots passive aggressively with that last statement and sorry for my sperg’d out rant. Just genuinely curious what your preferred way of the first listen is like.

• Like 2

I use my Beyerdynamics DT 770 closed backs for very clear sound and for hearing details.. But they are 250 Ohm so pretty quiet. 
After "inspection" I just use AirPods Pro 2 and my monitors. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, zlemflolia said:

3 bongs on rotation, 800ug LSD, 5 hits of DMT, 2 blunts, 2005 era ipod headphones, 128kbps mp3

In a public park?

1 minute ago, cern said:

I use my Beyerdynamics DT 770 closed backs for very clear sound and for hearing details.. But they are 250 Ohm so pretty quiet. 
After "inspection" I just use AirPods Pro 2 and my monitors. 

Does it matter where you are or what your doing?

Just now, Hail Sagan said:

In a public park?

Does it matter where you are or what your doing?

Yeah! If Im listening to something new and it's gonna drawn 100% of my attention I will lay back on the bed. That is the best way for me! 

• Like 2

somewhere in the middle of the rave

:aphexsign:

the hi-fi rig or the studio monitors.

cellphone / airpods ? no way man.   even  my car's sound system is better than those.

I'm an old school old man, I don't ever own a smartphone so that's it :rolleyes:

Edited by neurone

I haven’t listened to anything since joining watmm. I know the music is good - probably - but can’t spoil first listen until I have a full 32 bit/88.2 kHz clean cerebellum direct drive. I’m hearing good things about BoC Hi Scores but they messed up left and right so many times that I’ll probably skip that because how would you know what’s right if it’s left? Last time I saw Aphex I met up with a few watmmers but we all left before the show and never said a word to each other just to be sure. Looking forward to when the tech finally catches up.

Edited by jules
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Burger 1
  • Farnsworth 1
  • Big Brain 3

usually from youtube on the computer here then on phone walking or cycling

its more the surrounds than the fidelity for me

the car speakers could barely cope with the sub off the last track

amazing vibe music for hot af summer

• Like 1

joint on the couch+big speakers until the neighbors complain, then switch to headphones :lol: the airbnb owners downstairs already know on the field day date they're not having any guests lol

• Haha 1

I burn the track to a CDR then put it in a jewel case and travel back in time to HMV in Uxbridge in 1993, and put the jewel case on one of the racks of new chart CDs. Then five minutes later I go back into HMV in different clothes, and 'buy' the CD, then take the bus back to my student accomodation, in the lounge there's a stack of mismatched hi-fi separates with amp and speakers, next to a large old crt TV. There is a SNES plugged into the TV and my flatmates are all stretched out on the sofas, baked, and playing Street Fighter II. I put the CD into the CD player and press play and then turn up the amp.

My flatmates all think its shit, and tell me to turn it off, and they go back to listening to a C90 cassette of recorded pirate radio happy hardcore.

I go upstairs to my room and listen to the CD on my aiwa all-in-one 3-cd changer hifi.

every parents' regrettable christmas present..a loud aiwa multi cd player  shelf system : r/nostalgia

Edited by zazen
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

When I find out a new release is coming, I fill a spreadsheet with ambiguous snarky comments ready to go so that as soon as I've heard it I can hop on watmm and post the most relevant one towards anyone expresses any enthusiasm for it

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Farnsworth 1