IGNORED

pitchfork being moved under GQ (no one cares)

ignatius

does this mean they will  become more or less relevant and who cares? really. other than people who work there.. do people read pitchfork? why am i posting this? i don't know. i'm bored. my back hurts. maybe this is is important news to someone. if not pitchfork who will rate albums 5 when they deserve a 10? someone pull the plug. 

https://consequence.net/2024/01/pitchfork-gq/amp/

Conde Nast has announced plans to restructure Pitchfork’s editorial operations by “bringing the team into the GQorganization.”

As Semafor’s Max Tani reports, Conde Nast announced the news in a note sent to staff on Wednesday. “The decision was “made after a careful evaluation of Pitchfork’s performance and what we believe is the best path forward for the beand so that our coverage of music can continue to thrive within the company,” the note reads.

As a result of the restructuring, Pitchfork’s editor in chief, Puja Patel, is leaving the company.

In a follow-up tweet, Tani reports that “Pitchfork is going to continue publishing, but [its] future seems unclear medium/long term. I’m told this was a business side decision, advertising is stronger at other Conde brands like GQ. ”

https://x.com/maxwelltani/status/1747693175886533044?s=20

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, ignatius said:

what we believe is the best path forward for the beand

this automatically went into valley girl voice as I read it and now can I just say oh myyyyy god pitchfork is like literally so over

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, ignatius said:

advertising is stronger at other Conde brands like GQ.

Them an Ek can go have a jizz fest in piles of money. Fucking clown show.

• Like 3

Buh-bye, #Pitchfork. You were pompous, arrogant, and maddening, but you absolutely cared about pop music as an art form. I rolled my eyes at you — it was hard not to — but I respected the stakes you brought to album analysis and contextualization. You gave a shit. And that mattered. RIP.

:catsalute:

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

I read the Sunday album review when they look back at an album from the past they haven't already rated and to be fair that's usually a good read as it's going to be fairly enthusiastic and usually involves a lot of history about the artist but that's the only time I click on the website. 

Edited by beerwolf
  • Like 1

Never really cared much about pfork, read some reviews here and there, but I don't think they've been very relevant for the last 10-15 years or so? Good on them doing a cash grab before it all goes to shit.

Pitchfork Gives Music 6.8                              (The Onion)

“Coming in at an exhausting 7,000 years long, music is weighed down by a few too many mid-tempo tunes, most notably ‘Liebesträume No. 3 In A-Flat’ by Franz Liszt and ‘Closing Time’ by ’90s alt-rock group Semisonic,” Schreiber wrote. “In the end, though music can be brilliant at times, the whole medium comes off as derivative of Pavement.”

“It’s elitism for the sake of elitism,” said Rolling Stone senior editor David Fricke, who refuted Pitchfork’s middling rating, describing the entire art form as “transcendent.” “I’ve been listening to music for over 30 years, and it’s consistently some of the best stuff out there.”

https://www.theonion.com/pitchfork-gives-music-6-8-1819569318

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

I’ve had a love/hate relationship with PF, but I’ve visited the site at least a couple of times a week for twenty years. Pompous and arrogant, but gave a shit. Good description. I will miss it.

5 minutes ago, scumtron said:

I’ve had a love/hate relationship with PF, but I’ve visited the site at least a couple of times a week for twenty years. Pompous and arrogant, but gave a shit. Good description. I will miss it.

Same I checked it at least once a day. It's easy to hate on them but even if you disagree they are good reads. Take the DrukQs review for example, I got a good laugh out of the sheer stupidity of the score.

So long Pitchfork

music journalism is hard, and since the inception of Pitchfork the idea of ‘new music reviews’ have been a dying endeavor. props to anyone still pursuing it, and to anyone still reading/watching it tho. 

there’s a place for curation of new music that would otherwise go unnoticed, but who needs a review of the new Coldplay album? just listen to it instantly on any damned site. hopefully there’s more of a trend towards hunting + spotlighting the unknown/unheard and less ‘cutesy bald glasses-wearing white guy listens to a popular album (which you’ve already heard) two maybe three times then declares its place in history’ which Pfork always came across as, true or not.

or maybe we’ll get RDJ on the cover of GQ 

• Like 4

I used to get a lot of music from pitchforks reviews and lists, a lot of very good music,  later on they sold out imo and could never trust them again. It was an era for me tho, sad to see them go even if I've haven't visited in a decade.

• Like 4

pitchfork was a very good name too, I'll give them that.

brought to mind digging through tons on new music every day with a pitchfork, trying to find something interesting.

3 hours ago, auxien said:

who needs a review of the new Coldplay album? just listen to it instantly on any damned site.

Thats a really fucking good point. The original use of music reviews was to let you know whether it was worth walking down to Woolworths and buying the record. But now you can just instantly listen to whatever.

• Like 3

I remember putting on one of their 8.9 albums they recommended (can't remember the name but it was sort of similar to what Yves Tumour does) it was absolute fucking garbage and I lasted about 12 minutes before quitting it. I'm pretty sure that was the last time I ever paid any attention to anything they thought of. But yeah the Sunday classic album review is really good.

• Haha 1

If this happened a decade and a half ago my high school self would be devastated. They've leaned fully into "poptimism" for a while now to try to expand their demographic beyond aging hipsters and I'm not sure why they thought that would work.

13 minutes ago, Real Human Bean said:

Don't really care about PF but it's sad that musical journalism is in the latter stages of a slow and painful death.

it's shitting itself as it expires. 

I used pitchfork 2-3 times to find some releases I didn't have on the radar but Bandcamp, Soundcloud and Instagram work much better for artist discovery 

I read that shit post modernism piece in pitchfork 

Damn kids be anarchist nihilist hedonist narcistic content creators 

There is no alternative...

Don't worry, those shit blown out tunes you made in 2003 are now very cool

There's no better critique than no critique I.e. just making awful meme saturated epilepsy inducing clout 

I'm old

• Like 1