@ kavinsky

this is what i was thinking too. way too much negative thinking on this board of late. too much cynicism and hate...maybe that's just how the world is going but you never know, this movie might be good! if it's not, so what? you didn't fucking make it... i don't get why there's so many "fuck off" and "god this will be terrible", or "cringeworthy" type comments...it's only a trailer - don't like the look of it? don't buy a ticket... hate the alien franchise? don't go see this... etc. let's all be nice and stuff, it's ok everyone...you are allowed to like things, even if you think that you shouldn't because everyone else will laugh at you.

Edited by BCM

Please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good...

*immediately pictures michael fassbender playing an alien space flute*

Michael Fassbender is welcome to bend my fass anytime.

Thnx very much limpy! Now i imagine you playing assbender's flute. Like this trailer wasnt enough. Just thnx

Edited by xox

@ kavinsky

this is what i was thinking too. way too much negative thinking on this board of late. too much cynicism and hate...maybe that's just how the world is going but you never know, this movie might be good! if it's not, so what? you didn't fucking make it... i don't get why there's so many "fuck off" and "god this will be terrible", or "cringeworthy" type comments...it's only a trailer - don't like the look of it? don't buy a ticket... hate the alien franchise? don't go see this... etc. let's all be nice and stuff, it's ok everyone...you are allowed to like things, even if you think that you shouldn't because everyone else will laugh at you.

Wouldnt you be mad if aphex next album would be pure shit?

no not really, why would i be angry about that? it's just like, my opinion man...i'd be getting angry about my own opinion of someone else's work, seems a bit pointless.

everyone seems to be an expert in everything now, like wow that movie had a bad script (da fck did you study film or what) or the production is bad on that record (da fk are you an sound enginner or what)
i could go on with this, maybe its the internet that makes people think they can criticize without thinking i dont know.

everyone seems to be an expert in everything now, like wow that movie had a bad script (da fck did you study film or what) or the production is bad on that record (da fk are you an sound enginner or what)

i could go on with this, maybe its the internet that makes people think they can criticize without thinking i dont know.

Are you an expert in psychology of internet? ;)

Movies and music is not everything, if you consume a shit ton of those particulars, you kinda start suspect stuff. That said, bad production does not seem like a good choice of words, reeks of mainstream brainwashing where expensive and extensive substitutes originality.

Ridley Scott did make the planet in Prometheus beautiful, and has done the same in that last trailer. My gripe w/r/t Prometheus was it seemed to be a mix of two competing ideas/approaches: an expensive art house movie with ruminations on where we came from with genre-standard horror/splatter sequences. The fact everyone died barring two characters seemed to ruin it for me: if a few other people than just the robot and new Ripley survived, maybe it wouldn't feel so blatantly confused (why would Theron's character be so dumb to not simply roll sidewards and avoid the ship? Why did Idris and his co-pilots all decide to die together for not much reason? Contrived to fulfil Fassbander + Scandanavian Girl adventures).

A really great film to watch with the dialogue muted though with some good sci-fi music on (is it me or is all dialogue in films atrocious lately? Seems to be written so you can understand the film while using your smartphone for the duration...) and the director's commentary is hilarious (Scott telling movie bosses to go fuck themselves).

Didn't hate it though, and I'm not exactly a movie fan nowadays. Might see the next, depending on how long it is.

Edited by Bechuga

Are you an expert in psychology of internet? ;)

TW: 'Scuse me, while I 'LimpyLoo'

*bwow wow waaah

bwow wow waaah

bwow wow waaah*

LimpyLoo, dup in this thread...

People can't seem to agree about whether Prometheus was *about* anything

And for some strange reason, nobody seems to want to read it through the lens of mythology and archetype

(Despite the fact that's it's literally called "Prometheus")

And instead their reading is a bit 'on the spectrum' and they can't imagine there's *anything* of value in there

Well, maybe glance it over again just to make sure you're not missing anything

In classical mythology, what the hell are people talking about when they talk about gods and people 'defying' gods?

Here's a way you might look at it:

(e.g.) your hypothalamus is a god that hands down 'divine commands' to you

At some point in the near future, you will get hungry

Your hypothalamus is like an ancestral biological voice whispering in your ear that you need to eat...or else.

But your hypothalamus isn't responsible for the "or else"

It's just giving you awesome advice so you don't die

Your moral intuitions are also gods telling you to 'do X...or else'

'I should pay this bill right now'

'I should change the litter box'

'I shouldn't eat this entire block of cheese'

The "or elses" are just built into the world and can't be circumvented, no matter how cynical you wanna be about them

So what the hell does this have to do with Prometheus?

Humanity has "defied--and thus angered--the gods"

Meaning: we have neglected to do something we know we should be doing, because we are blind and arrogant about which walls are holding back all the Chaos Monsters

That sounds about fucking right to me

Prometheus was great, this trailer makes it look like they're abandoning that whole story line, which would be a shame, hopefully they at least keep some of the engineer stuff in there, but still looking forward to it.

Prometheus was great, this trailer makes it look like they're abandoning that whole story line, which would be a shame, hopefully they at least keep some of the engineer stuff in there, but still looking forward to it.

It's certainly possible, but I don't think so and here's a very short essay as to why (since this thread's already been Limpy-ed anyway...jk Limpy <3 u but I think Scott himself said that in the promos and such around Prometheus already so yeah.....jazz  :emotawesomepm9: )

No one here is mentioning some important details:

- Noomi Rapace was seen on set for some amount of time, she's going to be in this film in some respect, yet is obviously absent from the trailer

- James Franco (?!?!) was just announced as being in this film, but he's obviously not in the trailer either.

- There's hints throughout the trailer as to much other story going on than the basic 'spaceship crew goes to planet and aliens kill them and stuff'

- The new David (apparently named Walter?) isn't the old David, and as mentioned in speculation the hooded figure in the trailer is perhaps old David so that's a whole big thing

- Scott has been very clear that this is a sequel to Prometheus so yeah it looks like Alien of course but also Prometheus 2 hence why they're on the Engineer home planet, so there will have to be lots of Prometheus-y stuff detailed in film

Most important stuff not discussed here: apparently 15 minutes of film was shown to various media people and they mentioned a bunch of impressions and some details. There's lots of horror and Alien/Aliens vibes and callbacks, etc. 

tl;dr Hey this is a horror/Alien style sequel to Prometheus, so this trailer plays up the Alien feel of it all more so than the Prometheus type stuff since apparently everyone on earth hated Prometheus, and trailers are designed to hype up fans and guarantee asses in theatre seats

I did not like prometheus

script problems from day one

i do not have high hopes that this new one will meet the standards of either alien, or aliens

Prometheus had a great script

...If you look at the moves it was making

higher up the tree of abstraction.

If you think the script was bad because certain characters acted foolish(ly) or irrational(ly)...well yeah, that's literally the entire point of the film, and at every level, too: from their simple (atomistic) behaviors, to their broad(est)-scale existential strategy. (Why? Because the latter emerges from--and is entirely comprised of--the former.)

If you think the script was bad because of alleged plot holes...well, maybe just double check to make sure you didn't miss anything.

Edited by LimpyLoo

Just to review:

What is the ship called?

'The Prometheus'

What/who the hell was Prometheus?

He was the god of forethought and technology

What happened to the ship?

It failed fucking miserably

The micro-details of the film are perfectly in tune with that notion/diagnosis

I would say:

Before you dismiss any film

Make sure you're not looking for 'naturalism' at the wrong spot up the tree of abstraction

This was China Mieville's diagnosis of 20th century sci-fi:

There are *other* places to put naturalism besides the bottom-most concrete level

(Hell, you might even put it all at the top, and have that play out at the lower levels

Like a Brothers Grimm fairy tale or a Greek myth)