IGNORED

Amon Tobin - ISAM

crono3

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Lube Saibot

Also Amon has been working on this material for two years. I don't think Eskmo was close to where he is today two years ago.

QFT

lol at "goto10" and "wobbles" in the same sentence

i'm lolling all the way to loops haunt's plugin chain on that one

you know as well as i do that this is complete bullshit

flol

While clearly eskmo is an influence as well I think its undeniable amon was attempting a more richard devinerized loops haunt in that goto track, if u don't agree with me oh well but I believe it 100%, just like I do with the cliche of wonky arps :)

both eskmo and loops are people i would consider influenced by amon. never the other way around. i don't think loops, while a massive revelation to people in select groups (and for me as well), has made enough of a dent to register on amon's radar to be honest. what, a couple of EP's, and a couple of remixes? and all of a sudden he's a "formula" to be copied? nah man. if you remember i conceded on the wonky arps thing, but this time it's just a goatse-proportion stretch.

amon simply hung out with noisia and eskmo, and it came to him to "do dubstep" as a sort of avant-middle-age crisis, i guess. and if he was gonna "do dubstep", it was clear from the get-go (and from the eskamon/hey mr tree things) that his intention was to push the envelope, sonically, to the max.

i mean, that's amon, that's alwasy been amon, even in jazzy loops time, he likes to swing his dsp dick around, is that such a bad thing ultimately?

oh, and, fuck off tht.

yeah you're probably right, i guess i feel like there is some cross influence going on. Amon Tobin being influenced by eskmo's interpretation of amon tobin. swinging your DSP dick around is not a bad thing at all, i do it probably too often and thats why i'm feeling a little territorial about the spectral morphing stuff because i feel as if my dick has collided with his.

edit: and Lube i like how you don't pull any punches and say it how it is, basically i'm saying i like the cut of your jib even if we disagree sometimes

But see, I don't think Amon is swinging his DSP dick around. To me a statement like that implies no rhyme, reason or art to the sounds, but just swinging your dick to swing your dick... Which is the Richard Devine syndrome I suppose. I think these songs are strong compositions. The fuckery is very musical and near melodic at times if you listen in. These tracks blend a very interesting palette of sound, while dick swingers fill all moments with noise, and all sounds are being fucked to oblivion. There is a lot of restraint and tastefulness to these tracks. You can listen to it from a purely technical standpoint, but that's only getting half the picture.

If anything, Eskmo got a sneak peak at it.

sneak peek*

All of your posts are just correcting peoples grammar or trying to make them look stupid somehow. Do you have anything to actually say?

Guest Lucy Faringold

Haven't listened to this album enough to form an cogent opinion yet but there is some interesting discussion in this thread. Also loving the phrase "he likes to swing his dsp dick around."

Guest hahathhat

i think, for me, the last good track i heard from amon tobin was "rosies." that was the last one that got my blood pumping, anyways. foley room had some nice moments, but then there'd be one or two of those per track and the rest would be a rush of intricately carved samples that i found tiresome.

Guest Lube Saibot

lol at "goto10" and "wobbles" in the same sentence

i'm lolling all the way to loops haunt's plugin chain on that one

you know as well as i do that this is complete bullshit

flol

While clearly eskmo is an influence as well I think its undeniable amon was attempting a more richard devinerized loops haunt in that goto track, if u don't agree with me oh well but I believe it 100%, just like I do with the cliche of wonky arps :)

both eskmo and loops are people i would consider influenced by amon. never the other way around. i don't think loops, while a massive revelation to people in select groups (and for me as well), has made enough of a dent to register on amon's radar to be honest. what, a couple of EP's, and a couple of remixes? and all of a sudden he's a "formula" to be copied? nah man. if you remember i conceded on the wonky arps thing, but this time it's just a goatse-proportion stretch.

amon simply hung out with noisia and eskmo, and it came to him to "do dubstep" as a sort of avant-middle-age crisis, i guess. and if he was gonna "do dubstep", it was clear from the get-go (and from the eskamon/hey mr tree things) that his intention was to push the envelope, sonically, to the max.

i mean, that's amon, that's alwasy been amon, even in jazzy loops time, he likes to swing his dsp dick around, is that such a bad thing ultimately?

oh, and, fuck off tht.

yeah you're probably right, i guess i feel like there is some cross influence going on. Amon Tobin being influenced by eskmo's interpretation of amon tobin. swinging your DSP dick around is not a bad thing at all, i do it probably too often and thats why i'm feeling a little territorial about the spectral morphing stuff because i feel as if my dick has collided with his.

edit: and Lube i like how you don't pull any punches and say it how it is, basically i'm saying i like the cut of your jib even if we disagree sometimes

yeah, working with eskmo has definitely made it's mark. i might be silly here, but i imagine tobin as quite aloof, and eskmo was like a younger, protege version of his that played him youtube clips of "this dubstep thing he'd been hearing about".

as for the dsp meatroll thing, and you being a little territorial about it... yeah man that's exactly how i felt you came off with your initial comments and why i stepped in. i feel it's somewhat unwarranted... it's amon tobin dude. he knows his shit. it's all impeccable and flawless. the dsp gymnastics territory has such a small population that there's more than enough room for anybody. between what... ae, loops, amon tobin, yourself, tobin'd eskmo, that rob clouth dude... so few people. of course, you argument is that tobin's new approach is somehow disingenuous, or inauthentic, or forced. i believe that kind of judgement should be reserved for the likes of devine and... the glitch mob, and that shit.

i like the cut of your jib as well, and you firmly know your shit, and that's WHY i get into these arguments with you, because they're never pointless, we both walk out enlightened

also, i'm an equal music nerd and it feels good to have a peer in over-analyzing shit sometimes

feels good man

Guest Lube Saibot

I still can't read the title without hearing Sean Penn say it like a retarded person, guys.

having researched the title, and given that the idea is revisited in some song titles: lost and found, goto (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goto)... it's all nerdy metaphor for mechanistic sound retrieval and minute organization of it. which is what the album is, at the bare bones of it.

Didn't expect 2 extra tracks with the download..."Morning Ms Candis" and "One Last Look". I don't see them mentioned on his site, Ninja Tune or other retailers.

Hah, just noticed that too - Morning Ms Candis doesn't even seem to be listed on discogs.com either. Wonder what happened there ?

Picked it up yesterday. Have heard this album once now and I can say that it is easily my favorite Tobin album to date (I've been listening to his albums since Bricolage). Foley room was a huge disappointment to me, I was hyped he would break out and then it was just more of the same, aside from a couple nifty tracks on it. Also by 'favorite' I don't mean mindblowing, but I'm enjoying this departure.

What drags it down the most for me actually is the mastering. All these lovely meticulous sounds moving about yet it's all as flat as a pancake. Especially all the little musique concrete sections end up sounding thin, no depth, way,way,way too compressed.

And yes, I'm not surprised to see him moving in the Richard Devine direction. Saw him play live a couple years ago at Piknik Electronik and the entire dance set consisted of two minutes of crazy produced Devine-esque beats, then a break to surround 4 (or maybe 8-channel) electroacousticky stuff, then back to the beats again. The audience was starting and stopping all the time, bobbing like crazy when he turned on the beats, but never quite sure what to do. Uncomfortably fun.

Anyway a few more listens and I'll see how my opinion changes with this one.

Didn't expect 2 extra tracks with the download..."Morning Ms Candis" and "One Last Look". I don't see them mentioned on his site, Ninja Tune or other retailers.

Hah, just noticed that too - Morning Ms Candis doesn't even seem to be listed on discogs.com either. Wonder what happened there ?

On Rateyourmusic.com there was also an entry with "bonus tracks" but it also omitted Morning Ms Candis. Weird - wonder what the source was for those entries. I submitted a correction though.

Archived