IGNORED

Amon Tobin - ISAM

crono3

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

THIS IS ON YOUR TOP 3 OF ALL TIME FAVORITE ALBUMS?

YES

:wtf:

If I'm supposed to concede that "ok, so this isn't a 'dancey' album", then what is there? It sounds hifi but I don't really need that from him, he could at least make his beats a little more interesting if they're not going to be thumping; all I'm hearing are squiggles and scratches between 4:4 beats, with bass growls. I can't pick these songs apart from one another, except for maybe "Wooden Toy" and "Lost & Found" - so samey...

/rant

Guest Enter a new display name

I'm dissapointed with watmm reaction.

For me it's one of my three favorite all time albums.

How contradictory...

Guest illfly mandog

"If you can't comprehend its cus your mind is movin slow." Zest the Smoker

Seriously big ass F-ing :facepalm: at you guys who don't realize this dude is a fully actualized musician. Every sound and choice made was well thought out. This shit sounds exactly how he meant it to. Sorry he didn't give you what you wanted. lol

this is like a full album of the song 'gwarek 2'.. its a good showcase of effects and manipulations with great production

but it doesnt really go anywhere

I agree. It is the most Richard Devine-y album he's released so far.

Seriously big ass F-ing :facepalm: at you guys who don't realize this dude is a fully actualized musician. Every sound and choice made was well thought out. This shit sounds exactly how he meant it to. Sorry he didn't give you what you wanted. lol

"I stay above your HEEEAD like a UFO"

Catch up to Amon's art steez, dance fiends.

what the fuck kind of weird overly defensive point of view is that? way to take the knee jerk approach there

Guest illfly mandog
"If you can't comprehend its cus your mind is movin slow." Zest the SmokerSeriously big ass F-ing :facepalm: at you guys who don't realize this dude is a fully actualized musician. Every sound and choice made was well thought out. This shit sounds exactly how he meant it to. Sorry he didn't give you what you wanted. lol
what the fuck kind of weird overly defensive point of view is that? way to take the knee jerk approach there

That wasn't a knee jerk reaction, this was a statement made pages and pages into a very disheartening thread.

To clarify my point, I think people should appreciate things for what they are. He didn't write these songs for you to like or not. He wrote them to express a part of his life. Why is it considered rude to talk about watmms opinions but its totally kosher to talk about artists (or expression of self)?

"If you can't comprehend its cus your mind is movin slow." Zest the SmokerSeriously big ass F-ing :facepalm: at you guys who don't realize this dude is a fully actualized musician. Every sound and choice made was well thought out. This shit sounds exactly how he meant it to. Sorry he didn't give you what you wanted. lol

That wasn't a knee jerk reaction, this was a statement made pages and pages into a very disheartening thread.

To clarify my point, I think people should appreciate things for what they are. He didn't write these songs for you to like or not. He wrote them to express a part of his life. Why is it considered rude to talk about watmms opinions but its totally kosher to talk about artists (or expression of self)?

I see your point but it's natural that a long-time fan would be disappointed by this. Over the years an artist creates a familiar sound or style and, whether you like it or not, this predisposes fans to certain expectations. I'm all for artistic progression and endeavour, but it's completely normal to go :wtf: when a once-loved musician makes a giant change in style.

It's part of the trade: some fans will jump on board, others won't

Why is it considered rude to talk about watmms opinions but its totally kosher to talk about artists (or expression of self)?

i don't think it's rude necessarily just not a constructive way to engage in a discussion. Of course Amon Tobin didn't write this album as a love letter to his fans, i think most people here understand that.

on the other hand though, the preview and buildup for this album made it sound very much in the same territory as Foley Room which split Amon Tobin fans pretty equally.

foley room did have a few head bobbers on it though.

I have not heard this yet but I can't imagine being disappointed by tobin. hasn't happened in the 8 or so years I have been paying attention to him at least.

Guest illfly mandog
Why is it considered rude to talk about watmms opinions but its totally kosher to talk about artists (or expression of self)?
i don't think it's rude necessarily just not a constructive way to engage in a discussion. Of course Amon Tobin didn't write this album as a love letter to his fans, i think most people here understand that.on the other hand though, the preview and buildup for this album made it sound very much in the same territory as Foley Room which split Amon Tobin fans pretty equally.

You're right, definitely not the best way to jump in.

I will say that he has released a lot of tunes since Foley Room though. With stuff like the Infamous soundtrack and Taxidermia, along with a slew of singles, I was totally prepared for an ambient-ish texture fuck.

I will definitely choose my discussion entry more wisely next time. :flower:

Well I will say that this is the most IDM album I have ever heard by Amon Tobin.

Congrats on making the most IDM thing of 2011, thus far...

I will say that he has released a lot of tunes since Foley Room though. With stuff like the Infamous soundtrack and Taxidermia, along with a slew of singles, I was totally prepared for an ambient-ish texture fuck.

Very true, I haven't heard the Infamous stracks, but the Taxidermia OST was good stuff, I also really liked the Monthly Joint series he released through his website, some interesting beats and head bobbers in that collection especially "Eight Sum" and "Delpher"

i think this album could have been more enjoyable with less compression. It sounds like it needs a lot more dynamic range to really breath. If this was his older stuff i'd be fine with it but since it's meant to be so psychedelic and textural the loudness war style compression only detracts from it

i think this album could have been more enjoyable with less compression. It sounds like it needs a lot more dynamic range to really breath. If this was his older stuff i'd be fine with it but since it's meant to be so psychedelic and textural the loudness war style compression only detracts from it

the leak is only in 192... perhaps it'll have better dynamics in physical copy, or in 320 or FLAC?

Guest Enter a new display name

the leak is only in 192... perhaps it'll have better dynamics in physical copy, or in 320 or FLAC?

Surprisingly, the frequency constantly reaches 21kHz in the album, even in the 192kbps leak.

Guest hahathhat

i've never gotten into the algorithms that make mp3 work,

but isn't it still @ 44100hz -> max 22050hz according to ol' harry nyquist?

mp3 compresses, it removes frequencies it deems less relevant, but it doesn't change the sampling rate, yes?

could be aliasing i guess, but i doubt it... 192 has always sounded pretty ok to me.

more on-point: i pirated it and checked it out. it was, "oh, lovely start..." and i'd wait for the bass to kick in. then the bass actually would kick in, but... i don't know. you ever squeeze wrong when you're cumming, and essentially mess up the orgasm? like, damn, that could have been good, but i stumbled and it was pretty, uh, anti-climactic and forgettable.

Archived