IGNORED

Amon Tobin - ISAM

crono3

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Every album Amon has done since Supermodified has been worse than the previous one

This is accurate. For some dumb ass reason, I bought Foley Room and Out From Out Where, and not his first two. I'm not really looking forward to hearing this new one after reading all of this.

Actually he released 3 albums prior to Out From Out Where (4 if you count Adventures in Foam) - and so far I've found all his output to be excellent (the period from Permutation-Supermodified-Out Where especially), though yeah, in total agreement about feeling iffy on this new one, haven't heard it yet. I had the same feeling going into mind bokeh if that's any barometer...

Anyway this was bound to happen to him eventually, an artist's direction is often placed (for better or worse) in front of the mirror that is the wave(s) of the moment, and sometimes the reflection isn't going to be so pretty. And so it goes.

well put bob. i have liked all his releases and i think outwhere is one of my favs next to supermodified. im clearly avoiding listening to this since he hasnt disappointed me yet.

is this the official art or the other image?

5021392656199.jpg

goto 10 was the first track that disappointed me. i love journeyman and piece of paper, and they had me getting my hopes up, but goto 10 kinda killed it with all the smacked-in-the-face dubstep wobbling. i am still in a confused state regarding this album. at times it sounds really good, and i can hear the composition and production of foley room (which i loved) taken to a new level. but then some moments just make me facepalm and in the end i'm not really sure what i think yet.

i don't think amon should go back to sampling though. i really like the style he got into with foley room; i just don't like the dubstep tendencies or the heavily compressed atmosphere. and i'm a little put off by the animal collective sound on wooden toy and kitty cat, though i do like those tracks. i think. kitty cat is just so goddamned silly.

Different strokes I suppose...

I actually hate wobbles and dubstep but I think Goto10 is great.

Made it as far as Surge but it's just bored me. Might carry on listening later. Quite liked Piece of Paper but this isn't a patch on his earlier stuff, which were hit and miss albums anyway.

Interesting seeing the trend on Soundcloud, first track has 9300 plays, second track less than half of that, further down from there.

i can't help but agree, it sounds like Goto 10 is Tobin's attempt to recreate Loops Haunt but the pizazz of Loops Haunt is missing, sounds kind of taxidermist

Speaking of, what's the latest with Loops Haunt?

It's a strange album...there's actually some pretty good stuff on here, mainly when he ties the noises into something resembling a melody, like on Journeyman or Lost and Found.

But there's also lots of tracks are impeccably produced but just...dull - reminds me a bit of Richard Devine or Curtis Roads, good production but missing the certain something that makes it interesting to listen to.

For me it's not particularly successful, even on it's own terms of 'sound sculpture' or whatever. Still, if you mix it with some stuff from the monthly joint series you can actually put together a fairly respectable album.

Every album Amon has done since Supermodified has been worse than the previous one

This is accurate. For some dumb ass reason, I bought Foley Room and Out From Out Where, and not his first two. I'm not really looking forward to hearing this new one after reading all of this.

Actually he released 3 albums prior to Out From Out Where (4 if you count Adventures in Foam) - and so far I've found all his output to be excellent (the period from Permutation-Supermodified-Out Where especially), though yeah, in total agreement about feeling iffy on this new one, haven't heard it yet. I had the same feeling going into mind bokeh if that's any barometer...

I know. I own Supermodified. I didn't list it because it's excellent, and therefore do not regret buying it. Out From Out Where is good too, but not as strong as the first two under his name imo. I wasn't even considering the Cujo album.

Guest illfly mandog

WHY IS THIS ALBUM SO FUCKING LOUD

EQ. The man has amazing mixing skills. Nothing fights so there isn't very much draining your speaker surface. A lot of people assume music is loud because its super compressed. Most LOUD music is just limited beyond reason. I hear very little limiting on this release.

Wow that sounds so very pissed:

Try as we might to protect our artists' recordings until they're ready to be released, create exciting campaigns to expose the leftfield/ interesting/ worthwhile music that we believe in, to the widest audience and on some of the smallest budgets, and sell enough records to keep doing so; some people just don't get it. A nameless person has decided that he, not us, is best placed to release the new Amon Tobin album, and to do so for free, online via a watermarked promotional copy. We know these things happen, and we know that not everyone realises how much is invested in ambitious, groundbreaking tours, collaborations with brilliant artists and lovingly designed packaging... It still hurts. The man is not having it stuck to him. A faceless corporation is not being dealt a blow. All that happens is a lot of great ideas and music come under threat.

All of which is a long and frustrated way of saying that we're moving forward the digital release of Amon Tobin's masterpiece; ISAM. We know that for the fans who've taken the time to unearth music made for reasons other than pure commerce, hearing an album is available without actually hearing it is a slap in the face. We'd like everyone who's invested that time and energy on the career of an artist like Amon Tobin to have the chance to own the album, in the form he and us intended, as soon as anyone else does. We're sure you'll see why we took so much care over it in the first place.

ISAM is now available digitally from the Ninjashop and iTunes. Physical formats will be released 23rd May, including a 6 panel gatefold CD, Double Heavyweight LP with printed inner sleeves, and a limited edition CD Artbook featuring exclusive images and an essay by John Doran. A 24-bit WAV download option will also be available.

More information about the album and upcoming art installation can be found at amontobinisam.com

http://ninjatune.net/article/2011/apr/19/amon-tobin-isam-available-digitally-now

Oh my god - I've just got round to listening to this and I'm completely awestruck by it all ! Unlike quite a lot of the detractors over the last few posts, I actually was enthralled by the details of the sound design. It may be due to my like of complexity in tracks over 'melodic' content eg with albums such as Shapeshifter - Reticulum Flux, though oddly not noise arists - yeah I'm weird I know ! But yeah, there was many tracks that as soon as they finished I had to play them again immediately - Dropped from the Sky I think I heard 4 times in a row !

Might just be the hot weather though, I don't do heat - makes me frisky !

Guest Enter a new display name

I'm on the third track and I think this album is utterly fantastic.

Guest hahathhat
Their virtuosity is purely for self‑promotion, and it becomes a scholastic affair, with the only people listening to them being other musicians.

--Squarepusher,

SOS Interview

Archived