IGNORED

Amon Tobin - ISAM

crono3

I'm waiting for flac/320 , I have plenty of music to get around to, and I think Amon Tobin is such a perfectionist he deserves to be heard in full quality, regardless if there is much noticeable difference or not.

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest hahathhat

i'm with you -- not binning it yet. i'ma delete that copy and try it again sometime later !

but i don't think flac/320 will change anything. just hopeful i'm missing it, i guess.

You don't need me to tell you this, but this album shines when its cranked really really loud, with nice headphone (and I think the clarity of better release qualities will help even more) It's almost hypnotic, the bass and swirling production at times.

I really need to check out some new stuff from this guy. I've listened to a lot of both out from out where and supermodified. Not sure why I haven't jumped the gun on his new stuff.

Despite great moments, this album has its 'total misses'.. like "Surge", which I don't find enjoyable from a song perspective and find annoying from a production perspective

I'll agree "Surge" is probably the weakest, but I still thought it was kinda cool, the only other track that falls off for me, is "Dropped From The Sky", the last track, it has a lot of ideas in it, and some cool sounds, but they don't really seem to come together. The rest of the album I enjoy quite a bit though... "Lost and Found" and "Wooden Toy" being the standouts, but damn "Piece of Paper" is a headtrip

i've never gotten into the algorithms that make mp3 work,

but isn't it still @ 44100hz -> max 22050hz according to ol' harry nyquist?

mp3 compresses, it removes frequencies it deems less relevant, but it doesn't change the sampling rate, yes?

You'll find that most (if not all) CBR compressed mp3s have a low pass filter which cuts all the frequencies above a certain threshold as part of the compression algorithm. It's been a while since I encoded my stuff at 192 (I rip everything at v0 vbr nowadays) but I think the low pass is set around the 17-18 Khz mark ...

My friend and I were looking up uncyclopedia stuff at school so I looked up IDM.

And we read "IDM (pronounced IDM) is a catch-all acronym for any techno made by dolphins. Its true meaning has been forgotten by anyone who doesn't work for Mixmag"

"The IDM sound is often characterized by computer-generated clicks, clacks, bleeps, bloops, blops, splops, splacks, packs, cracks, thwacks, thhhtts, zzzztzs, tzchs, byoos, byonnngs, shyooms, bongs, shrooms, czechs, twits, thizzes, clocks, glocks, locks, stocks, and smoking barrels. This is largely due to the fact that the sub-genre's primary influences are the noises made by the dolphins themselves out of either stress, anger or orgasm"

On the way home he asked for an example of IDM and having heard "Piece of Paper" that same morning played it for him.

He laughed. After continuing to play it till the end. Became silent.

i've never gotten into the algorithms that make mp3 work,

but isn't it still @ 44100hz -> max 22050hz according to ol' harry nyquist?

mp3 compresses, it removes frequencies it deems less relevant, but it doesn't change the sampling rate, yes?

You'll find that most (if not all) CBR compressed mp3s have a low pass filter which cuts all the frequencies above a certain threshold as part of the compression algorithm. It's been a while since I encoded my stuff at 192 (I rip everything at v0 vbr nowadays) but I think the low pass is set around the 17-18 Khz mark ...

I thought so. But it actually goes well above 20khz. 31158292.png

Oops you're right, there's a noise threshold first then a low pass filter. Notice the distinct band around the 16Khz where quieter sounds are attenuated. In practice it shouldn't be noticeable (hell I certainly don't notice it !) but some people have 'special' ears ...

there seem to be a lot of people out there who think albums before they've been mastered are likely to leak onto the internet. the chances of this happening are very low i think, plus we can already tell ISAM has been mastered quite heavily.

For me, Amon Tobin is a guy who's incredibly skilled at manipulating samples into cohesive tracks, but not so good at doing his own stuff (kinda like DJ Shadow I guess), and I've been less interested with each album that's come out post-supermodified. I gotta admit my heart sank when I saw that video of him mucking around with his spectral wotsit a couple of pages back. I love a lot of out-there experimental music, I just think...well...he's not all that good at it.

Still probably gonna buy it, well at least if the samples on the ninja site (when they finally go up) sound even halfway-decent. Not too keen on downloading leaks.

For me, Amon Tobin is a guy who's incredibly skilled at manipulating samples into cohesive tracks, but not so good at doing his own stuff (kinda like DJ Shadow I guess), and I've been less interested with each album that's come out post-supermodified. I gotta admit my heart sank when I saw that video of him mucking around with his spectral wotsit a couple of pages back. I love a lot of out-there experimental music, I just think...well...he's not all that good at it.

Still probably gonna buy it, well at least if the samples on the ninja site (when they finally go up) sound even halfway-decent. Not too keen on downloading leaks.

/thread

You mean Amon Tobin isn't skilled at recording and sound design? :wtf:

i think he's just saying he's not AS skilled as what he focused on in his previous works (plundering collage sampling). which i can't help but agree with. I give it an A for effort, but the execution feels half hearted in a lot of places, like he's flexing his muscles but not really trying to make a fun or compelling track

Guest hahathhat

No, he just can't make it interesting.

He needs to work on his songwriting as hard as he does the sound design.

Edit: Well, he can do whatever he wants, especially after Supermodified. But that doesn't mean I'm buying it.

Guest hahathhat

Every album Amon has done since Supermodified has been worse than the previous one

which is a fucking tragedy, because supermodified was fantastic !

Every album Amon has done since Supermodified has been worse than the previous one

This is accurate. For some dumb ass reason, I bought Foley Room and Out From Out Where, and not his first two. I'm not really looking forward to hearing this new one after reading all of this.

Guest ruiagnelo

listening to it atm. it's too dubstep-ish.

might need a few more listenings for an appropriate first impression

Archived