IGNORED

stupid first world problems you're dealing with

Guest KY

1 hour ago, dingformung said:

Maybe he always did an exception for you because he likes you but now that you seem to take it for granted it annoys him. You should take him out for a romantic dinner to set things straight again.

two guys out for a romantic dinner doesn't seem that straight...

• Facepalm 1
  • Burger 1

1 hour ago, chenGOD said:
3 hours ago, dingformung said:

Maybe he always did an exception for you because he likes you but now that you seem to take it for granted it annoys him. You should take him out for a romantic dinner to set things straight again.

two guys out for a romantic dinner doesn't seem that straight...

After some candle lit, wine-fueled conversation, there will definitely be some straight appendages.

• Farnsworth 1

8 hours ago, drillkicker said:

You're trying to compile just a module by itself ?  You know you have to build modules with the kernel, right ?

Do you have the kernel sources, and if so, have you configured them to build the module you want ?

Yes, I’m trying to build a module for an old midi interface that I’m hoping to use with an old raspberry pi as a midi usb host. 

The GitHub page hosting the scripts to build the module refers to this guide;

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/Dev/KernelModuleRebuild

I’ve made several attempts now and the last time I felt things almost clicked in my brain and got to the last step but obvs made another mistake which caused all modules in some dependency I installed to be built. It took ages but I was hoping it would also magically build the midex module but that got skipped while all the other directories got populated with their respective drivers/modules. 

Edited by user

50 minutes ago, user said:

Yes, I’m trying to build a module for an old midi interface that I’m hoping to use with an old raspberry pi as a midi usb host. 

The GitHub page hosting the scripts to build the module refers to this guide;

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/Dev/KernelModuleRebuild

I’ve made several attempts now and the last time I felt things almost clicked in my brain and got to the last step but obvs made another mistake which caused all modules in some dependency I installed to be built. It took ages but I was hoping it would also magically build the midex module but that got skipped while all the other directories got populated with their respective drivers/modules. 

Why not just build the whole kernel with the module included ?  It seems like the time you've spent trying to figure out this guide is a lot more than it would have taken to do it the traditional way.  I'd be interested in seeing the GitHub page you mentioned.

2 hours ago, drillkicker said:

Why not just build the whole kernel with the module included ?  It seems like the time you've spent trying to figure out this guide is a lot more than it would have taken to do it the traditional way.  I'd be interested in seeing the GitHub page you mentioned.

You have to understand I'm just an idiot trying to follow some instructions on something that is basically mostly hocus-pocus to me. I understand a few basic concepts and am able to apply some heuristic approach to troubleshooting etc. but that's it.

Thanks for offering insights, much appreciated.

This is the github page: https://github.com/sgorpi/midex8

I went to buy a bunch of shit right after work, only to realize I left my wallet in the car at time of checkout.

BUT

It was at a self checkout unit and there was a mobile pay option. But I had to spend like 10 to 15 min setting up an account with the retail chain before actually being able to pay by phone. Had to download the app and all that shit. The alternative was to void everything, go all the way out to the car to grab wallet, and come back in and start over from scratch. Fuck. That.

Like I said, shopping right before Xmas is the worst.

• Farnsworth 1

My last cat used to do that (still alive, but ex has custody).  I miss all his weird shitting problems.

FWP: Had the dumbest delivery experience tonight, but there are too many small annoying details to explain in writing.  It's like I want to bitch about it, but I'm too lazy to put in the effort.  

FWP2: keep falling asleep super early, like 10pm-ish, then wake up around midnight and can't get back to sleep for hours.  Dealing with that atm.  Trying to wake up for xmas stuff with the fam is going to suck.

On 12/21/2020 at 11:51 PM, Stickfigger said:

There's an unstable woman who has an apparent obsession with me who likes me more than my wife does 

I got one of those too. The problem will subside when I tell her, "Go back to your room, mom", but only for short amounts of time. Let me know if you find a long-term solution.

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, user said:

You have to understand I'm just an idiot trying to follow some instructions on something that is basically mostly hocus-pocus to me. I understand a few basic concepts and am able to apply some heuristic approach to troubleshooting etc. but that's it.

Thanks for offering insights, much appreciated.

This is the github page: https://github.com/sgorpi/midex8

What happens when you run build.sh ?

You do have GCC installed, right ?

9 hours ago, ambermonke said:

I went to buy a bunch of shit right after work, only to realize I left my wallet in the car at time of checkout.

BUT

It was at a self checkout unit and there was a mobile pay option. But I had to spend like 10 to 15 min setting up an account with the retail chain before actually being able to pay by phone. Had to download the app and all that shit. The alternative was to void everything, go all the way out to the car to grab wallet, and come back in and start over from scratch. Fuck. That.

I don't think anyone would have yelled at you for leaving the stuff there and dashing for your wallet.  It's probably better than using a company's proprietary datamining script.

9 hours ago, ambermonke said:

BUT

LOLIRL ... also ?

15 minutes ago, drillkicker said:

I don't think anyone would have yelled at you for leaving the stuff there and dashing for your wallet.  It's probably better than using a company's proprietary datamining script.

It’s true. I had the same thing happen to me at the height of the first wave of lockdown when my wife was pregnant (I got a tiny baby now!) and I was only leaving the house once a month to go grocery shopping, so I rang up over $300 worth of groceries and realized I left my wallet at home (I didn’t have Apple Pay either) and the line was 10 peeps deep. Luckily they let me leave my cart full so I could go home to get my wallet and come back. The people in line were all :facepalm:

11 hours ago, ambermonke said:

The alternative was to void everything, go all the way out to the car to grab wallet, and come back in and start over from scratch. Fuck. That.

Sunk cost fallacy innit

I've been putting dollops of eggnog in cups of cheap chai from teabags and shit is lit.

1 hour ago, sweepstakes said:

Sunk cost fallacy innit

I've been putting dollops of eggnog in cups of cheap chai from teabags and shit is lit.

I might save some Buffalo Trace for eggnog later. Dunno how good it'll taste tho

sent a care package w/some buried in time releases to someone in berlin. mailed it out october 16th. the most recent tracking update is november 17th as it departed Beirut, Lebanon. 

i have enough leftover promo/unsold vinyl copies of some of the releases that i've thought about doing a big mail out to various record shops marking the releases as promo and providing contact into. they're old though so kind of missed the boat. plus covid.. who the fuck knows if shops are even open and receiving mail. every now and then someone buys the vinyl via bandcamp but it's slow going and looking at the releases in boxes on a shelf in the basement is long beyond old feeling. 

thought about offering up 20 or so to watmm'ers as a gift and mailing them out no charge but feels weird some how. 

again, didn't sleep well or at all. wtf. i need one night of good sleep to right this ship already. 

edit: also, feeling a rant about ambient music coming on and trying hell to resist venting about it because same complaints can lodged against any genre probably but ambient seems so stagnant. will stop. stop. stop. 

Edited by ignatius

6 hours ago, drillkicker said:

What happens when you run build.sh ?

You do have GCC installed, right ?

I installed all the required dependencies and it seems like all the other drivers were built correctly, I think something is missing in the config file but I can't really figure out what. Running build.sh failed a bunch but I haven't tried this after getting to the one to last step in the instructions. I'll report back later. Thanks!    

16 hours ago, user said:

I installed all the required dependencies and it seems like all the other drivers were built correctly, I think something is missing in the config file but I can't really figure out what. Running build.sh failed a bunch but I haven't tried this after getting to the one to last step in the instructions. I'll report back later. Thanks!    

If you aren't positive, double check that you have GCC or another compiler installed, because your system won't be able to build anything from source if you don't have one.

I need to be tested for COVID-19 because I attended a small birthday party (we were supposed to be 5) but a shit ton of people showed up who had celebrated Christmas with their friends and family. Plus, one of the kids, who I had never met, decided to snuggle up against me. 

Ffs. 

• Facepalm 1

22 minutes ago, Squee said:

I need to be tested for COVID-19 because I attended a small birthday party (we were supposed to be 5) but a shit ton of people showed up who had celebrated Christmas with their friends and family. Plus, one of the kids, who I had never met, decided to snuggle up against me. 

Ffs. 

oof. wait at least 5 days after possible exposure before getting tested unless you develop symptoms.. then get tested right away. some people report symptoms began 10 days after exposure according to contact tracing. 

Experienced a brief period of congestion while with the family today, which has since totally cleared up.  I understand that's not a symptom of the 'vid, but still - god damn it.  I used to take no precautions and never get colds.  Now I'm taking extra precautions and getting sick on the regular.  

Edited by Zephyr_Nova