IGNORED

stupid first world problems you're dealing with

Guest KY

10 minutes ago, ignatius said:

dude. so at my subsistence level part time job people do this and it's fucking annoying. like 3 people listening on things on their phones and in multiple languages.. then also in multiple languages talking like no one else is around and it doesn't matter because no one understands them etc.. then other people speaking in a different language talk over those people and it's all kind of amazing and i wish i knew what everyone was saying because i'm curious how they'd overlap.. but w/tiktok shit going off in the middle of it it kind of ruins the jazz-like conversation aspect of it for my brain. 

still, the dude playing an imam reading/singing the quran as it's done.. was pretty cool sounding as the guy had a really perfect lyrical voice/quality to it. no idea what was being said of course but it was relaxing especially w/what else was happening around the space i was in. 

That sounds exactly like what I experienced today.
Just add a kid walking around coughing and sneezing everywhere and his mother walking behind him asking, "Where are you going? Where are you going? What do you see?"

• Like 1

freezing rain them some snow then freezing rain.. so, ice dams in the gutters. spent a few hours in the cold rain on a ladder clearing ice dams in the gutters. there's a covered patio in the back. the person who built the roof over it didn't properly seal it where it meets the siding.. so when the water isn't going where it's supposed to go (the gutters) because of ice dams in the gutters.. it backs up and pours down the siding.. which wouldn't be a problem except for the length of the header attached to the roof that covers the patio. some amount of water got in there and tripped a breaker so a few lights and plugs aren't working in the back of the house which is where my bedroom is. 

i broke up all the ice on the patio roof and cleared the ice dams so the water is going where it's supposed to. the breaker won't reset though. have to wait a while for it to dry out. this means the moisture in the wall is probably causing other problems. there's no leaks into the house anywhere but i imagine there's mold that's gonna happen. Also, need to wait for it to be dry enough for the breaker not to trip. 

so, that means my summer house project $$$$ has emerged and i get to figure out how to seal behind a thing already built.. which means i'll have to take part of it apart, hire someone to do parts of it most likely and i'm annoyed to fuck even thinking about it... also annoyed because i was cold af for a while and on an ice up mostly flat part of the patio roof in the rain and wind shoveling blocks of ice that formed over the gutters and built up under the gutters between the roof and the gutters and my back is tired, i'm tired. i'm annoyed. 

fwp af though.  only one breaker tripped which is good. no other water issues in relation to the gutters. usually if they're blocked the water just spills over onto the ground. 

i could go on but i've said too much. 

merry xmas. 

I got some kind of food poisoning or stomach bug the day after Christmas and I was pissing shit. 
Today I made curry for dinner realizing I couldn’t handle it after I taste tested it so in the fridge it goes for another day. So I’m eating leftovers but no turkey cause I don’t have any of that left. Mashed potatoes stuffing and corn. Solid. And my stomach is rumbling and dancing around like anything could happen. Keeps me on my toes. 

It sucks to watch your friends slowly fade out of your everyday life when they get married and have children.

Making plans for one evening is a coordination project that can span several weeks, or even months. There are less and less topics for good discussion, because minds become preoccupied with family/work stuff, and their social circle shrinks around their in-laws. A lot of dubious complaining that always makes you question "Is everything really OK, dude?" only to find the question strange, because that's just how marriages are (or are they?!). And if the spouse somehow joins in, there's this slight tension where they berate each other for more or less silly stuff, make cynical jokes about each other, and try to keep the husbands at a 'safe distance' from their 'scoundrel' friends at the same time. I know where such 'feisty' interpersonal dynamics come from, and it worries me -- for them, and also for me, in a way, because I reflect on my previous relationships and those of my parents and wider family. Everything is slowly falling apart.

It's been a year since I've last seen my best friend and we've become really estranged in a weird way. Other people slowly fade out of my life as well, when mine and theirs perspectives change, or when life gets in the way. I remember some years ago, I'd walk around the city and just stumble upon friends and acquaintances I could greet or grab a coffee/beer with. I'd go out on a friday to a bar without making any meet-up plans, and there would at least be some familiar faces. Now, I don't see a single familiar person ever, anywhere. With everything being more and more globalised, I sometimes feel as if I'm walking around a foreign city. These depressing thoughts have been gnawing my lonely seasonal holidays.

My infant son woke up with conjunctivitis on Xmas day, then ran full pelt into the side of our bed and split his lip wide open. 6 hrs in a&e only for the plastic surgeon to tell us they can't operate as the risk of putting him under general anesthetic while he has conjunctivitis means the infection could spread to his lungs, so we just have to let his horrifically mangled lip heal naturally and hope for the best.

Then we all got covid.

Don't have children 

Edited by Amen Warrior
  • Sad 3

14 minutes ago, Amen Warrior said:

My infant son woke up with conjunctivitis on Xmas day, then ran full pelt into the side of our bed and split his lip wide open. 6 hrs in a&e only for the plastic surgeon to tell us they can't operate as the risk of putting him under general anesthetic while he has conjunctivitis means the infection could spread to his lungs, so we just have to let his horrifically mangled lip heal naturally and hope for the best.

Then we all got covid.

Don't have children 

oh dude. that's a rough series of events. sounds stressful. i hope this time passes quickly and no further damages done

• Like 1

8 hours ago, cichlisuite said:

It sucks to watch your friends slowly fade out of your everyday life when they get married and have children.

Making plans for one evening is a coordination project that can span several weeks, or even months. There are less and less topics for good discussion, because minds become preoccupied with family/work stuff, and their social circle shrinks around their in-laws. A lot of dubious complaining that always makes you question "Is everything really OK, dude?" only to find the question strange, because that's just how marriages are (or are they?!). And if the spouse somehow joins in, there's this slight tension where they berate each other for more or less silly stuff, make cynical jokes about each other, and try to keep the husbands at a 'safe distance' from their 'scoundrel' friends at the same time. I know where such 'feisty' interpersonal dynamics come from, and it worries me -- for them, and also for me, in a way, because I reflect on my previous relationships and those of my parents and wider family. Everything is slowly falling apart.

It's been a year since I've last seen my best friend and we've become really estranged in a weird way. Other people slowly fade out of my life as well, when mine and theirs perspectives change, or when life gets in the way. I remember some years ago, I'd walk around the city and just stumble upon friends and acquaintances I could greet or grab a coffee/beer with. I'd go out on a friday to a bar without making any meet-up plans, and there would at least be some familiar faces. Now, I don't see a single familiar person ever, anywhere. With everything being more and more globalised, I sometimes feel as if I'm walking around a foreign city. These depressing thoughts have been gnawing my lonely seasonal holidays.

The days where I can invite people to anything and they'll turn up within 20 minutes of me sending the message are going to be over soon - making the most of my youth ?

Edited by milkface

59 minutes ago, Amen Warrior said:

Then we all got covid.

Don't have children 

I hope your little one has a speedy recovery! My dad always tells me about how my when my older sister was 3 years old, the front door to my grandma's tower block slammed on her finger on New Year's Eve 1999 and my family spent the first monents of the new milennium in A&E.

Edited by milkface

33 minutes ago, milkface said:

This is why I'm making the most out of being young. The days where I can invite people to anything and they'll turn up within 20 minutes of me sending the message are going to be over soon ?

Good. When you're young, you feel like it's going to be forever.

• Like 1

Had a minor cold last week which I thought was nothing, so went out a bike ride on Xmas Eve got a puncture, no repair kit in my rucksack so had to wheel the thing home on what should of been a shortcut through farmers fields, but was just a mud quagmire and ended up taking a few hours. Christmas Day my cold had decided it wasn't too keen on the day before antics and turned into a full blown chest infection. Yesterday, first day I started to feel a bit better but absolutely exhausted. Woke up this morning and had another minor coughing fit which after days of abuse has put a lot of pressure on my lower back. Felt a muscle go pop at the base of my spine and into (thankfully) a minor spasm. So yeah all in all I'm having a fabulous time. I had so many great things planned over these last few days. All its amounted to is a load of depressing nothing. At least I was off work on annual leave and didn't have the stress and anxiety of dealing with phoning in sick. Which I hate doing, especially this time of the year. Worst holiday ever.

Edited by beerwolf

On 12/28/2022 at 8:59 PM, milkface said:

I hope your little one has a speedy recovery! My dad always tells me about how my when my older sister was 3 years old, the front door to my grandma's tower block slammed on her finger on New Year's Eve 1999 and my family spent the first monents of the new milennium in A&E.

Thank you! His eyes are all better and lip seems to be healing very well. He and I are both completely asymptomatic with covid but my wife is absolutely dying at the mo (not literally) (I hope)

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, J3FF3R00 said:

I’ve had diarrhea since the 21st and have missed all yummy/boozy holiday everything. My only New Year’s resolution is for a solid turd

dude. what happened? get some immodium. drink a fuck ton of water. 

2 hours ago, ignatius said:

dude. what happened? get some immodium. drink a fuck ton of water. 

No idea. Maybe food poisoning? Nobody else in my family has it. Been on the Imodium, pedialyte, etc. went to urgent care today and now have to take stool samples. I just want a fucking cheeseburger, donuts, crab legs and a billion other things other than toast and rice. Getting angry. At least I’m the only person in the world who lost weight over the holidays. 

Edited by J3FF3R00
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, J3FF3R00 said:

No idea. Maybe food poisoning? Nobody else in my family has it. Been on the Imodium, pedialyte, etc. went to urgent care today and now have to take stool samples. I just want a fucking cheeseburger, donuts, crab legs and a billion other things other than toast and rice. Getting angry. At least I’m the only person in the world who lost weight over the holidays. 

buddy of mine got a weird thing when he traveled in se asia. lost like 30 pounds which was a lot for him since he only weighed like 165 and is 6ft tall. for months he had stomach issues. he ate a ton of yogurt and eventually whatever was ailing him moved on or was conquered by his gut biome. guts are weird some times. 

On 12/31/2022 at 10:44 AM, J3FF3R00 said:

this just reminded me of this classic thread.

• Thanks 1

Ps plus premium is such a crock of shit. They removed AC Valhalla without any notice and it has been on it for like four months? Paying this kind of money just to demo some games is such a ripoff

• Like 1

PT for my left shoulder doesn't seem to be doing much good. hoping i get through this plateau. also, a 20yr old has a crush on me. she didn't believe me when i told her i was older than her parents. i'll have to show her my ID so she'll understand i really am 2.5 times her age. or i could just take off my hat and show her my destroyed hairline and the coming baldness. 

Edited by ignatius

10 minutes ago, ignatius said:

PT for my left shoulder doesn't seem to be doing much good. hoping i get through this plateau. also, a 20yr old has a crush on me. she didn't believe me when i told her i was older than her parents. i'll have to show her my ID so she'll understand i really am 2.5 times her age. or i could just take off my hat and show her my destroyed hairline and the coming baldness. 

Dude, age is just a number… :spiteful:

• Farnsworth 1

Update:

Looks like my bowels are finally recovering after a week and a half of torture. On Christmas morning I set aside 2 small fancy chocolates and 2 other small, not-as-fancy chocolates on top of the piano so my baby couldn’t get them and let my wife & her mom know that I was saving them for when I was well enough to eat them without shitting my pants. 
Yesterday, they organized a huge New Year’s Day gingerbread house making party (which I had to shop/cook/clean for) and when people first started arriving I went to get my chocolates so nobody would eat them by mistake… keep in mind, I’ve been looking at these tiny chocolates every day for a full fucking week! When I got to the piano, I noticed that the piano light  was on (which it never is) and the small bag with my 2 not-so-fancy chocolates was gone and the light had melted my 2 small fancy chocolates into a puddle. 

… and now I have covid :facepalm:

Edited by J3FF3R00
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Farnsworth 1