oscillik

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-24460278

At the time, producer Andrew Kosove said it was unlikely Ford would return in his role as Rick Deckard.

"In no way do I speak for Ridley Scott, but if you're asking me will this movie have anything to do with Harrison Ford? The answer is no.

"This is a total reinvention, and in my mind that means doing everything fresh, including casting."

I envisage a Frodo in "The Hobbit" style intro with Deckard mincing around his appartment looking glumly at photos of his youthful self and lamenting days gone by as he voiceover's the rest of the movie.....

$ickening.

Edited by feltcher

oh no they should not remake the shining, clockwork orange maybe (it's a little dated now) but not the shining. can you elaborate on "strong sex feelings"?

I think A Clockwork Orange is just as much relevant as it was back then.

I don't think any Kubrick should be remade :( why you have to give me a sad?

I agree, clockwork orange is a perfect little package. Hey everybody, lets update all those impressionist paintings for a new audience, they're looking a little tired and need a makeover. It's got nothing to do with a desire to cash in on an existing brandname and the fact that we are clueless losers that shouldn't be allowed near any creative field.

I agree that stories can be retold as we have done down the ages, and that new classics are being generated that can fit this retelling concept. It just doesn't mean i have to always like it.

Scott was musing about how Deckard's having aged might be explained away in the film. "He was a Nexus 6, so we don't know how long he can live," he chuckled.

he chcukled.

i hate the idea that deckard is a replicant. that's the prometheus level stupid!

Same, I've always tried to interpret it as Gaff being a replicant when I find myself watching a cut with the infamous unicorn dream/vision, although that is a bit of a stretch. I like the one with the voice-over and no unicorn business, although the happy ending maybe not so much.

i hate the idea that deckard is a replicant. that's the prometheus level stupid!

Why would you hate what the writer and director intended? I mean, I suppose you could, but that's what they intended, like it or not. If you think about it, it really does make sense - who better to hunt skinjobs (replicants) than one of their own?

Although, it puts into doubt the lack of Deckard's superhuman abilities - unless he was made that way in order to never realize he's hunting his own kind...

Plus, it means Deckard and Rachel both die around the same time (assuming their incept dates were close to one another).

Wait, if you don't think he was a replicant then what is your explanation for the Unicorn?

If you watch the theatrical cut without the unicorn dream, then Gaff's unicorn is just another one of his origami 'messages' that he leaves lying around everywhere.

For the cuts with the unicorn dream, Gaff has to be the replicant out of the two of them, for Deckard to still be human. Doesn't make that much sense I'll admit but at least the fact that Olmos happened to look as wooden as an android at the time (even when he was on Miami Vice a couple of years later) kind of helps to ignore the more obvious implication.

I don't "hate" the idea that Deckard is a replicant but it weakens the film. It still achieves the same goal of blurring the lines between humans and androids, but it goes about it in a way I don't like. The point then becomes about the audience sympathizing with the replicants and realizing they've been identifying with one all along, but Deckard himself sympathizing with the replicants becomes completely trivial. Not bad, but I prefer the version where Deckard has a more engaging character arc, which is kind of lost with the twist ending, IMO.

Final note, I don't get what Joyrex means by "the writer" intended it this way. I always thought Ridley Scott was the only person to have come out and said he meant for Deckard to be a replicant.

Edited by manmower