oscillik

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I agree.

I'd like to see someone tackle a Gibson book (Neuromancer would have been nice. Pattern Recognition or Zero History would make entertaining movies and wouldn't be too difficult to pull off as they are set closer to the present)

Snow Crash

The Foundation trilogy

Pattern Recognition was planned with Peter Weir directing but it didn't work out.

I've often fantasised about the Foundation trilogy coming to screen, though it would be a hard sell. you'd have to really find someone who was in it for the ideas behind the story and not the guns n spaceships n explosions.

Man, are Neuromancer and PR really gonna fall by the wayside?

Jesus Christ.

Lol, I like how pompous and borderline-senile artists suddenly get the inspiration to explicitly tie some of their previously unrelated works together, like bands releasing a new album as "the conclusion to a trilogy" of two previous albums.

another perspective on this

What I’d expect is that this might actually be a cheeky nod to the fact that Ridley Scott (or his team) recycled effects shots in Blade Runner that were originally created for Alien. (A fitting thing for Blade Runner’s patchwork world.) Screens seen in the Nostromo and escape shuttle are also seen in the police spinners in Blade Runner

Well didn't Ridley take footage from The Shining for (the original theater ending of) Blade Runner? I think his next film should be a Blade Runner/Shining mash-up where it turns out the kid's "Shining" is because he's a replicant. He and Deckard could set up the Overlook hotel as a haven for wayward replicants...

I was thinking there was Syd Mead connection between Alien and Blade Runner, but it seems he was only involved with BR.

Ron Cobb was linked though, and Syd Mead and Ron Cobb worked on Blade Runner

• 5 months later...

From bladerunner2-movie.com:

While scouting out film locations in the Canary Islands, Ridley Scott spoke about the Blade Runner 2 script to the heads of the Gran Canaria Film Commission.

"Yesterday I read the script for Blade Runner 2, we have been working on it for six or seven weeks now with the original author. It includes some of the original characters. Everything is still in it's early stages, but this draft is really good. "

http://www.bladerunner2-movie.com/news/632

one thing i can like about prometheus is that even though i haven't seen it, from the descriptions i've read, it looks like it shows how retarded and pointless symbolism can really be. i'm not saying it always is, but so many artists in any field over-use symbolism as if it instantly gives more depth to their work, and 9 times out of 10 it just doesn't. it's just dumb.

so i hope at the very least that the new blade runner highlights how dumb something else i don't agree with is.

Edited by MisterE

• 2 months later...

hmm, well I guess it's not much worse than Damon Lideloff being involved. He also sort of ruined Star Trek Into Darkness and turned Wrath for Khan beat for beat homages into 'unexpected twists'. Sort of a garbagey move if you ask me.

hmm, well I guess it's not much worse than Damon Lideloff being involved. He also sort of ruined Star Trek Into Darkness and turned Wrath for Khan beat for beat homages into 'unexpected twists'. Sort of a garbagey move if you ask me.

this sadly explains everything!

doesn't Hollywood learn?

I can't say I have high hopes for Blade Runner as trying to emulate a classic always results in a failed inferior revisit when it should just be its own film, this is exactly what happened with Star Trek.

i'm much more ok with a sequel than a prequel. It will be inherently more respectful since whatever they do in the sequel wont automatically undermine and redefine what more mysterious aspects of the original movie meant (ie: the space jockey being a giant but far smaller than in Alien white albino humanoid god like being). If it's a prequel it's going to tarnish the memory of Bladerunner now matter how it's done, thats what prequels do. When is the last time you saw a genuinely good prequel? I can't think of a single time. Temple of Doom is the only one I actually think is a good movie, but it has no story connection to the Raiders of the Lost ark, the prequel aspect is barely even alluded to, if you didn't know it was you would just assume it's a sequel.

Edited by John Ehrlichman