IGNORED

Scintilli - Reactions

Guest ruiagnelo

Can't stand African Woods though, that shit grates on my ears so badly I couldn't make it past halfway on any of my four or five attempts.

I don't understand the hate, personally. It's a fun track! Plaid have always been about fun imo. At least their fun tracks are the ones I appreciate the most.

Dunno man, every other song has grown on me. I just don't like the somewhat wood-percussiony-vibe of the track.

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just listened to Unbank and I'm pretty sure I'm not going to purchase this now. I like cheese, but that's a bit too Kraft Singles for me.

edit: I kind of like it, but I don't want it more than once.

Ive listened to this album a few times. Ive tried to discount the inflated expectations due to the huge delay. I may still have not settled on a stable impression, but it seems to me that way. So here's what I think.

Missing: Ok.

Eye robot: Sounds like the intro to a track that was never finished.

Thank: Could have been a good track, starts well, but instead of evolving it just got lazy and repetitive (eg 1:12)

Unbank: Vulgar

Tender hooks: Totally unincisive and blunt melodies, sounds good tho (design-wise).

Craf Nine: Sounds good, but again goes nowhere, boring

Somnl: Ok

Founded: Bland, second half picks up though

Talk to us: Terrible beginning. Tedious tedious track, only the minute in the middle is decent

35 Summers: Not sure about this

African Woods. Annoying as hell, puts me off from trying to find anything here.

Upgrade: Decent, at least there's some tension and build up. Seems to degrade on repeated listens.

At Last: Exactly, at last. Finally a good track with a heart.

What I dont get is, where are those tracks (eg the one's posted before on this thread, strata..) that were really good? I know plaid can still make them, just look at This city and others on their OST's.

Did warp have something to do with this album being such a let down? They're beginning to piss me off warp with the absolute crap they put out.

I've completed about 6 listens now... how do you guys feel about the voices on Missin, Founded & At Last?? I thought they were a bit cheesy sounding at first (though I still liked them)... now I absolutely love them! It half sounds like synth, half like a woman's voice... pretty ethereal.

Initially I thought Eye Robot was awesome. Now that I know the track much better I agree with the consensus here... that it goes nowhere. It really sounds like an intro to a really cool track, but it just ends. Anyways, still not bad, just a disappointment.

Missing is one of my favorite... love this!

Enjoying this record much more than I did initially, finding it very refreshing and addicting, can't get enough of somnl at the moment, but there are tons of great moments for me, strangely im also starting to like missing a lot more than when i heard it on its own and the ending to the album is superb!

Founded: Bland, second half picks up though

in no way do i mean to discount your opinion but it fascinates me that someone would classify 'Founded' as bland, as i find it to be one of the most amazingly beautiful things i've heard in a while.

the darkness of the bending elements in the first half, and then the absolutely gorgeous melodies and progressions in the second half. it's just simply beautiful music to me. nothing groundbreaking in a technical sense, maybe, but give me chills, man.

I had a pretty hearty lol at the guitar string sweep noises in Founded. Pretty over the top, eg. 3 of the same note in a row, but with a string noise in between each as though you have to move your hand all the way up the neck in order to play the same note again..

I like it more and more.... but as was posted earlier, I don't know how well this album will hold up over an extended period of time.

I'm liking it. To me. Plaid albums have always been about specific tracks, rather than the album as a whole - I don't think they have any albums that I really enjoy listening to from start to finish, but every one has several incredible, unmissable songs.

I don't know why everyone is claiming African Woods is so "simple" and "fun". It's got a light vibe but there's some seriously complicated stuff happening melodically there.

wow, i had found "at last" a bit "too-plain(flat)" at first but now i m so much liking it!!! yuppiri! :)

(ps: one day i ll learn to write down a post, once and for all,,,, with no mistakes, i promise to myself)

i'm really liking this album a lot more now the more i listen to it...

and the tracks don't seem as short as they did the first time, which is funny...

some of them are a bit like mini trips, almost, where it seems like you've been away

and involved with for quite a long time, but in actual fact it's only been several minutes! :)

Guest ruiagnelo

and the tracks don't seem as short as they did the first time, which is funny...

some of them are a bit like mini trips, almost, where it seems like you've been away

and involved with for quite a long time, but in actual fact it's only been several minutes! :)

sirch shortly after Scintilli is released -> herp :derp: herp

sirh now -> :sup:

Guest kineaesth

the bassline in sömnl is great,, and this album was made in a way that it wiill keep raising interest and will eventually last long...

You're right, aggressive bassline LFO wobble is here to stay, and is not at all a trend.

yes im right. i like that "old style" bassline so much.(trend or not). it makes it dark, just like upona...

and this track would be so great to listen to indoors , like a big cathedral.

if i was after trend, i d do Aphex Twin, or BoC. but no im after what sounds good to me,, and for years and now, it's Plaid..

sirch shortly after Scintilli is released -> herp :derp: herp

sirh now -> :sup:

i never said i hated it. i said i was dissapointed with the length of most of the tracks, basically, and that i couldn't stand some of the guitars. i still think 'Unbank' is ridiculous, and can't see myself enjoying that anytime soon. it's a bit like the 'Squance' of Scintilli. - a bit silly and 'tounge-in-cheek' - but much worse than Squance! it's that stompy kick drum and guitar riff that puts me right off and makes me cringe. the rest of the track is really good tho.

i was in an odd mood when i first listened to Scintilli, anyway, due to a certain substance...

but now i am very much sup-supping at most of Scintilli as an album :sup:

(i've still only listened to it a handful of times ((less than 5)), so expect more herping and derping to come later on. :emotawesomepm9:

Only listened to the album 4 or 5 times myself, here are a few more brief thoughts. After a few more times of listening, the album has started to make more sense to me.. one of the things i've worked out is the way the album is structured doesn't really make much sense for any long tracks to be included. Sounds and looks a very compact album from the artwork, track lengths, audio palete and arrangement. I liked 'Missing' since the free download, after hearing that live version of 'Eye Robot' the album version hasn't really made any impact on me, likey 'Thank', 'Unbank' is one of Plaid’s worst tracks... EVER!!! 'Tender Hooks' is a beauty, loose, flowing.. lovely tune, 'Craft Nine' is beginning to grow on me.. quite a deepdark one that, likey 'Sömnl', 'Founded' not sure about yet.. the strings and vocals are a tad weak, 'Talk To Us' is ok, doesn't really go anywhere, likey '35 Summers', African Woods', 'Upgrade' and 'At Last’ continues to be my favourite track. Still thinking Plaid could've given us something way better. :derp:

Still thinking Plaid could've given us something way better. :derp:

+1.

way, WAY better.

EDIT: but i blame warp. cos we know Plaid can make really cool, brilliant, amazing, epic tracks...

Archived