IGNORED

Scintilli - Reactions

Guest ruiagnelo

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How comes people like Eye Robot so much? Seems to be the weakest track to me...It sure sounds nice, but it hasn't got too much going on musically of interest to my ears and doesn't really go anywhere.

Guest ruiagnelo

How comes people like Eye Robot so much? Seems to be the weakest track to me...It sure sounds nice, but it hasn't got too much going on musically of interest to my ears and doesn't really go anywhere.

my thoughts exactly. sounds good but doesn't grow into anything musically logic

well in the mediafire link i gave, there is the 5 minutes 18 seconds version of eye robot and, it "goes somewhere" and i quite like it! to be honest i was hoping it to make into Scintilli and it definitely has, hehe "i win!" :)

So I still haven't listened to the album yet. Call me insane considering Ed and Andy are my favorite artists, but I'm going to wait for the official release. Having read all of this thread and comments elsewhere, it seems like I already know how the album will sound without listening.

My question is do Ed and Andy utilize anything that would make you say, hey that reminds me of old school Black Dog/Plaid? They have touched on these ideas the past few years with the Balil remixes (Melody/Parasight), Strata 3 (a travesty that even ideas from this were not featured), the unreleased melodic track I posted last week in a different thread, as well as Host and Durban Pain from Heaven's Door.

I'm sure it will be a great album and I will enjoy it a lot, but I really hate how they tease me with glimpses of their former selves in live performances which are rare to hear all the way through in respectable quality.

I was browsing Youtube last night and came across old clips from that last time Plaid had came to the states. Needless to say it was the best show I've seen from them. It also seems as it's one of the few times they took the extra production they did for Scorpio and made it into its own track for their live set.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2T4_THUdD9Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozUbf6oNWu8

My question is do Ed and Andy utilize anything that would make you say, hey that reminds me of old school Black Dog/Plaid? They have touched on these ideas the past few years with the Balil remixes (Melody/Parasight), Strata 3 (a travesty that even ideas from this were not featured), the unreleased melodic track I posted last week in a different thread, as well as Host and Durban Pain from Heaven's Door.

sadly, no, not really mate... it's more like Spokes (with guitars and vocals) than anything else (imo), but the tracks aren't half as long or developed.

there's still a lot of great moments, tho... and some excellent tracks in there. i just wish they'd developed some of the tracks a bit more, left out the guitars, and added those other ones we've all been talking about on here for some time.

i hope there will be an EP coming soon... that will feature these tracks, and maybe some other new ones.

@Gaylord Sweetwood

the track on the first vid you embedded is just great! im feeling kinda sorry that it didnt make into Scintilli. and there s a more decent version of it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUSqe8pwTKs

and even the DL link to this whole set (Sofia 2009), from soundboard : http://www.megaupload.com/?d=V2XYXGN2

cheers!

Unbank is excellent as fuck! Reminds me of mid 90s EBM mixed with Jarre or similar. Kinda regretting not preordering the vinyl. Pretty sure it'll be in stores though.

@Gaylord Sweetwood

the track on the first vid you embedded is just great! im feeling kinda sorry that it didnt make into Scintilli. and there s a more decent version of it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUSqe8pwTKs

and even the DL link to this whole set (Sofia 2009), from soundboard : http://www.megaupload.com/?d=V2XYXGN2

cheers!

So, to play devil's advocate, I was actually worried that track would be on the album, because I can't stand it... those melodies that start around 1:35 really grind my gears, I don't know why but they are unbearable to me.

Hmmm.., I love Plaid, but I can't say I'm feeling this album :( What the hell happened, I thought it was going to be filled with beauties like these two: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bCQggCXWyk http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYu953n5Ee8 So when the hell are these tracks going to be released?

I would have sacrificed more than half a dozen other tracks just to have had those. Instead we get things like a cheesy Doctor Who theme that was done (equally embarrassingly) by orbital.

And I wonder why this album fails to impress me.

I'm not a huge Plaid fan and haven't listened to Scintilli yet--I'll get around to it, I guess-- but I was seriously looking forward to those quoted tracks.

The only reason I'm posting in this thread is:

(a) I just wanted you all to know that every time Gaylord Sweetwood posts something with that ridiculous avatar/font combo, I lose my shit and spray whatever I'm drinking all over my monitor;

(b) I'm not sure how to process modey's comment re: the sound design on Scintilli being on par with mid-late period Ae, but I talked to the rest of the Fan'Chre Club and, modey, your membership status is under review. Praise Be Our Booth and Our Brown, Fuck Sirch, Aemen.

not sure why there's so much 'unbank' hate.

sure, there's a basic 4/4 beat as the foundation, but likening it to scooter? come the fuck on.

as a 30-something fucker who grew up listening to kraftwerk, jarre, oldfield and the like, it has bits that seem to draw on all of those influences, though that might be my personal bias.

look, man. a lot of you guys are major autechre fans, citing large amounts of what they do as genius. and while i appreciate the complexity and concepts behind their stuff, a large portion of it is completely fucking unlistenable to me.

so it makes sense, in some way, that a group like plaid would seem less innovative or 'genius'. but the way they put shit together is largely unparalleled to my ears. i'm melodically motivated to a pretty major degree... however, rhythm can exist in places beyond drum sounds - i don't think plaid gets enough credit for their creativity in terms of arrangement and rhythmic structure.

then again, this type of shit makes my brain happy, and it's perfectly reasonable... nigh on expected that it's not going to activate everyone's wang.

i think scintilli is one of the best, most refreshing and inspiring things i've heard in years. i'd agree with many here that i wish it were a bit longer, but there's an old ethos in music that it's better to keep it short and leave 'em wanting more than to repeat the cunt out of something and bore people with it.

and as far as the 2XLP / Tshirt fiasco - that's fucknuttery at its finest. you don't exclude the people that paid the most for a release from having it early. that's just asshole mentality.

ribbit, motherfuckers.

(a) I just wanted you all to know that every time Gaylord Sweetwood posts something with that ridiculous avatar/font combo, I lose my shit and spray whatever I'm drinking all over my monitor;

lol... I'm glad someone finally mentioned this! I was beginning to think I was the only one seeing it...

edit: Also, Unbank is probably one of my favorite tracks on the album! And I don't understand why most people seem to absolutely LOVE Upgrade. It doesn't really stand out at all to me (yet) :/

Does Missing remind anyone else of Ilomilo?

And I don't understand why most people seem to absolutely LOVE Upgrade. It doesn't really stand out at all to me (yet) :/

Can't figure it out either... kinda boring track to me.

This album is like a big stew made up of all their previous styles, chopped up and simmered into a different, wonderful flavour. Definitely a grower for me, and it's growing quickly :music:

Can't stand African Woods though, that shit grates on my ears so badly I couldn't make it past halfway on any of my four or five attempts.

The only reason I'm posting in this thread is:

(b) I'm not sure how to process modey's comment re: the sound design on Scintilli being on par with mid-late period Ae, but I talked to the rest of the Fan'Chre Club and, modey, your membership status is under review. Praise Be Our Booth and Our Brown, Fuck Sirch, Aemen.

boring! Fuck off, baph.

as a 30-something fucker who grew up listening to kraftwerk, jarre, oldfield and the like, it has bits that seem to draw on all of those influences, though that might be my personal bias.

look, man. a lot of you guys are major autechre fans, citing large amounts of what they do as genius. and while i appreciate the complexity and concepts behind their stuff, a large portion of it is completely fucking unlistenable to me.

yeah, i agree. read 'shite'.

lol... I'm glad someone finally mentioned this! I was beginning to think I was the only one seeing it...

that's just the way Sweetwood rolls... he doesn't give a shit, and we love and respect him over here in the Plaid forum.

Fuck off, crono3.

ribbit, motherfuckers.

+1

Can't stand African Woods though, that shit grates on my ears so badly I couldn't make it past halfway on any of my four or five attempts.

I don't understand the hate, personally. It's a fun track! Plaid have always been about fun imo. At least their fun tracks are the ones I appreciate the most.

this. It's long enough. Feels like its running for 20 minutes. So boring.

this. It's long enough. Feels like its running for 20 minutes. So boring.

personally i don't know why they cut it down, cos i like it. with the chords and melody they use with it in their live performances, makes it quite a lot better and more... just a more interesting track.

but the way it is on the album, i agree it's kinda pointless, though it does sound very good, imo. - pretty powerful and loud, even a bit angry, almost.

agreed, portions of this album do have sort of a krautrocky vibe. i quite liked the new silver apples ep that came out a couple years ago.. and same with portions of the new kluster album 'qua'. both are very melodic but arranged in offbeat ways

Well the difference for me is that by my fifth listen through a plaid album (this one included) I've largely 'got it' and I'm not hearing anything new anymore. I end up walking around with half the album memorized in my head looping in circles all day long, and it actually becomes a bit grating. With Autechre it usually takes 5-10 listens before I even start to 'get' the track (or at least it used to back in the day).

i'm melodically motivated to a pretty major degree... however, rhythm can exist in places beyond drum sounds - i don't think plaid gets enough credit for their creativity in terms of arrangement and rhythmic structure.

I do like some of the arrangements on this album. I wish there were more funky oddball tracks like 'talk to us'.

then again, this type of shit makes my brain happy, and it's perfectly reasonable... nigh on expected that it's not going to activate everyone's wang.

i think scintilli is one of the best, most refreshing and inspiring things i've heard in years. i'd agree with many here that i wish it were a bit longer, but there's an old ethos in music that it's better to keep it short and leave 'em wanting more than to repeat the cunt out of something and bore people with it.

Quality over quantity, amen. Up until now my favorite output from plaid has typically been their eps which tend to be short, focused, and sweet. I do think this is the best output I've heard from them in quite a while.

Archived